Brewer Fanatic

The Beer Thread: 2007 – 2008

TooLiveBrew
Bar Louie on Tuesday does have a rockin' burger deal, and it's great to sit down, eat a delicious burger, drink a good brew, and watch a Brewers game there. That was one of my pastimes for second semester last year -- kept me sane (and buzzed).

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone heading to the annual Beer Bash event at the Country Springs in Delafield on Thursday, March 20th? Tickets have long been sold out, and they're $45 each, so they're not cheap, but I went for the first time last year and despite having a wicked cold I had a pretty good time (my friends had a much better time). Plus, I saw Robert there, I think the one poster here that I see out and about more than any other.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Lakefront products, and their Anniversary Ale was a treat. It's 9% by volume, and only comes in 22 oz. bottles, so if you have one you're feeling pretty dang good about yourself. They're a little harder to find, as I've seen them at Discount, Sendik's and Outpost foods but not at any of the other liquor stores I frequent (which hasn't been as frequent since I gave up drinking -- for the most part -- for lent).

Also, Lakefront's IPA, a new label that was released right around the holidays, is very, very good. I'm not a big IPA drinker, but this one is so incredibly smooth.

Sprecher Mai Bock, my most favorite seasonal beer of all-time, should be coming out soon. Hopefully after lent http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Thanks for the help. That site is awesome. I split my time between Milwaukee and Oshkosh and while searching for Oshkosh providers, I don't see Grolsch under the import section to search from. Any help?

Try Pick and Save in Oshkosh. The one on the North side actually has a pretty good selection of beer and wine. Of course if you want wine and are in Oshkosh there really is no place to compare to McKnight Carlson.

http://www.mc-wines.com/index.html

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Thanks for the help. That site is awesome. I split my time between Milwaukee and Oshkosh and while searching for Oshkosh providers, I don't see Grolsch under the import section to search from. Any help?
That is weird. Doesn't work for me here in Neenah either. Hmph. Well, although I haven't deliberately searched it out, I'd bet a nickel that any of the Festival Foods would have it, including the one in Oshkosh. I'm thinkin' they have the largest beer selection of any of the supermarkets. Can't speak for any liquor stores, as I get everything from Festival.

Sprecher Mai Bock, my most favorite seasonal beer of all-time, should be coming out soon.
Coincidentally, I had a Capital Maibock this evening. Not a huge fan of Bocks, but this wasn't too bad. Somewhere between a stiff bitter ale and a darker, heavier Bock. Good. And did anyone know that Capital's fine Island Wheat is available in 12 pack cans? Don't think I've ever seen that.

My quest for Grolsch Blond still continues. Took the advice to go to the northside Pick n Save in Oshkosh. Didn't have it. While there I picked up a six pack of Sam Adams Irish Red, which I really liked. Love Sam Adams beer. Boston Lager and Light are my go to beers when I go out.

Is anyone heading to the annual Beer Bash event at the Country Springs in Delafield on Thursday, March 20th? Tickets have long been sold out, and they're $45 each, so they're not cheap, but I went for the first time last year and despite having a wicked cold I had a pretty good time (my friends had a much better time). Plus, I saw Robert there, I think the one poster here that I see out and about more than any other.
See that's because you ran into my twin brother Rodney there. That's why you think you run into me more than any other, there's two of me.

One of these years I'm going to go to that event as I hear it's a lot of fun.

Robert

My quest for Grolsch Blond still continues. Took the advice to go to the northside Pick n Save in Oshkosh. Didn't have it. While there I picked up a six pack of Sam Adams Irish Red, which I really liked. Love Sam Adams beer. Boston Lager and Light are my go to beers when I go out.

Sorry to hear that didn't work out for you. Pick n Save had one of the best beer and alcohol selections that I remember in Oshkosh.

I blame Wang.

Gobias, I checked at Festival in Oshkosh today...no luck. They have the regular and Light. Sorry, but I'll keep an eye out when I visit other establishments in the area.

On the good side, I was floored by 2 brews that I had in the last 2 days: JW Dundee's Original Honey Brown Lager, and Spaten-Franziskaner-Brau Hefe-Weisse. As usual, per just about all my likes, the honey brown rates very low, about as low as anything I like, but the hefe garners very good reviews. The honey brown is so smooth, it's unreal. A bit sweet, but not overpowering. I nearly bought a sixer of it tonight instead of my usual, beloved Spotted Cow, but opted for neither (got me a ton of High Life for my birthday this past weekend...ahhhhh, friends). I did pick out a mix sixer, naturally, and the hefe was absolutely amazing. I dare say it gives Hacker Pschorr a solid run for it's #1 title. But I'll have to test it, oh, say, a few dozen more times to be sure. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

See that's because you ran into my twin brother Rodney there. That's why you think you run into me more than any other, there's two of me.

So, that's who you were talking about when you would tell us how you and your "brother" would brew beer together http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

I got to add Goose Island Honker's Ale to my ever growing collection last night. Not bad for Illini beer http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif. I really would like to try some of their other brews, as I've heard great things, but it's hard to get anything other than their staple.

I think I can speak for everyone that's posted in this thread in that we admire your dedication.
My dedication or alcoholism? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

This beer tasting all started as a Christmas gift idea, couple years ago. My father-in-laws and brother-in-law (or all soon to be) all enjoy beer, so I figured, instead of trying to think of a gift each year, give the gift of beer. Beer that I've tried and who's glory I would like to share with the world. Well, that went over nicely, so I stretched it out, turned into what it is now. At this past year's Christmas party, we had a bunch of different beers, most purchased by my soon to be uncle in-law (wealthy) who went way overboard and found all these imports from Czech, Austria, Germany, Belgium, Poland. Anyway, he is a big time wine lover (has a wine cellar in his house, complete with thermostat, humidity control, and FINGER PRINT door lock...no kidding, it's true). During the course of the evening, after we'd sampled our 10th or so, he stops, looks at me and says "This is fun". And he was right.

Now I try a new brew just about every night, proally closer to 5 nights a week. And it is fun, trying new stuff, the excitement of a tasty brew, or the wretchedness of a bad one (been lots of those). The funny thing is, I don't drink very much at all. About a beer a night, maybe two, but rarely 3 or more. Way less than all my buddies.

That is, until softball starts. Binge-o-rama!

I got to add Goose Island Honker's Ale to my ever growing collection last night. Not bad for Illini beer http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif. I really would like to try some of their other brews, as I've heard great things, but it's hard to get anything other than their staple.
I've had the Nut Brown Ale and the 312 Urban Wheat. I was pleasantly surprised by the ale, I typically don't care for anything darkish. The wheat, however, was lousy. Really poor, actually. In fact, it's proally the worst wheat I've ever had.

My father-in-laws and brother-in-law (or all soon to be) all enjoy beer, so I figured, instead of trying to think of a gift each year, give the gift of beer. Beer that I've tried and who's glory I would like to share with the world. Well, that went over nicely, so I stretched it out, turned into what it is now. At this past year's Christmas party, we had a bunch of different beers, most purchased by my soon to be uncle in-law (wealthy) who went way overboard and found all these imports from Czech, Austria, Germany, Belgium, Poland. Anyway, he is a big time wine lover (has a wine cellar in his house, complete with thermostat, humidity control, and FINGER PRINT door lock...no kidding, it's true). During the course of the evening, after we'd sampled our 10th or so, he stops, looks at me and says "This is fun". And he was right.

That sounds awesome. I noticed you have an extra father-in-law ( http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif )... have him adopt me just for this event! Btw, my wine cellar has a retinal-scan access, so pssssshhhhhhh to that weak fingerprint stuff. Soooo Sherlock Holmes.

Picked up a sixer of Full Sail's Pale Ale (see the OP) & their Ltd. brew (also covered this one already... somewhere). Both I've enjoyed before, and since I just got paid today, wanted to treat myself to something I know I love. Mmmmm.... yummy beer. To clarify in Wisconsin terms... the Ltd. is like a nicely toned-down version of the Great Dane's Scotch Ale. Below are the links to the respective Beeradvocate.com pages:

F.S. Pale Ale

F.S. Ltd. Series 1

(fwiw, I think the Pale Ale rankings are about spot-on, where the Ltd. ratings are a tad low for my tastes)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Sorry if this has already been posted but I didn't read through the whole thread, in the Fox Valley this is the place to find good beers.

http://www.flanagansstopandshop.com/index.php

Also if anyone is interested the NE Wisconsin beerfest is April 5th I believe at Tornado's in Grand Chute. I haven't been to it in a couple of years but this is one of the greatest 4 hours ever. They have a couple hundred microbreweries show up and you are able to walk around and sample and it is not overly expensive.

fstorm1,

I stole your idea. From now on when we have a family get together everybody has to bring a 6-pack of beer. We can't bring the same beer that has been brought by anybody else previously.

Edit: I ran across this while I was looking for beer sample glasses.

http://www.springbeerfest.com/details.htm

I blame Wang.

Edit: I ran across this while I was looking for beer sample glasses.

http://www.springbeerfest.com/details.htm

Of course, on the weekend I'm actually going to be out of Portland. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

Now I really can't wait for the Brewers Festival.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Gf snagged me some Red Hook ESB tonight, a strong choice. I re-recommend this option.

I actually had some of that last night, I believe for the first time. Surprising for a Northwesterner, I know. It was a bit smoother than Mac and Jack's African Amber, which for me makes the back of my mouth slimey lately.

Archived