Brewer Fanatic

The Beer Thread: 2007 – 2008

TooLiveBrew
  • Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last night had some delicious Lakefront Riverwest Stein. It was awesome. This week Friday I'm excited I will be going with some friends to take their tour of the brewery and have their tasty fish fry.

Glad to hear you got some. I'm extrememly jealous of your fish-fry brewery tour.

Couldn't get any of that damn Kona yet, so instead I grabbed some BrouCzech lager. From their website:

"True traditional lager, minimum of 60 days in creation before it leaves our lager cellars. Medium well on the scale of golden color, creamy head that stays on for a while when poured properly - meaning right into the corner between the glass wall and bottom.

Hoppy and malty aroma with a hint of sweetness leaves a very pleasant aftertaste - watch out, this flavor is highly addictive!"

I'd give it a B/B+ (got a C on ba.com). This one will turn off people that aren't looking/ready for a European (or Czech) style beer. But I find it delicious, and a nice alternative to trying yet another Ale/Pale Ale. Ooops, yea, got it at Trader Joe's; not sure where else to find it... but it didn't have one of those 'found only at TJ's' signs, so it's out there. For this brew, think along the lines of Pilsner Urquell - but not quite as sharp a flavor.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Trader Joe's 2007 Vintage is outstanding and a great deal.

Seconded, we sucked down a couple bottles on New Year's Eve, but not so many I forgot how good it was.

Dang - I didn't grab that last night. They've got it there in both 6-packs & big (1L?) aging bottles. I might have to grab a 6-pk. and one of the big bottles... for now, and later!

Went on the Lakefront Brewery tour Friday night. It was great, had their delicious fish fry first then did the tour. Drank the following beers:

Cattail Ale

Cream City Pal Ale

Organic ESB

Riverwest Stein

Eastside Dark

All were quite exceptional. The tour guide was freaking hillarious which was cool. Also they have Bernie's old chalet inside the brewery which is awesome.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Well attended the EAA Hops & Props last night, and what should have been a glorious evening turned out much less so...'cause I naturally got decked by the flu on Friday/Saturday. Felt pretty awful, and wasn't sure if I was going to be able to enjoy myself or taste anything, but we went anyway. It was quite the soirée, considerably more "upscale" than I thought it would be. Depending on what ticket you bought, you got to choose from 3 different free beer glasses, a standard pint glass, a slightly fancier pint glass, or a "tulip"/snifter which came in a velvet-like pouch. We opted for the first two. These were the glasses that we'd use all night. They had little rinsing stations scattered about, where you could rinse out your glass after each beer. There were small bands playing music in various locals, and they had buffet tables also scattered about with things like chips and salsa (with shrimp), cheese, chicken skewers, etc. Very basic and fairly tasteless, which was natural as you're trying to appeal to masses not just a handful of people.

The very first table that we encountered was New Glarus, and I was very excited, but, alas, of the 5 brews they were offering, I had already tried 4. So I went with the Wisconsin Belgian Red, which was waaaay to cherry-ish (?) and waaaay to carbonated. Tasted like fermented cherry juice, but as my lovely lady friend said, "It probably is". So, not a good start. Anyhoo, there were brewers' tables scattered all over, and of course, you just walk from one to the next. I was actually a little surprised that I had actually already tried something from most of the brewers' there. Couple thoughts:

1. I have unfortunately pigeon holed myself with the beers I enjoy, as has been seen here...I like the wheat's best. This is not the time of year for that style, so there was very few available, and again, I had already sampled most of them. I think they should have this event twice a year.

2. Although they gave out a rather large pamphlet featuring the brewers' and their beers, I still walked around with a small pad of paper and pencil, and made sure I wrote down the one's I thought I liked, so I can look for them again when my tastebuds are in better shape.

3. I was very, VERY happy to have sampled two Anheiser Busch's Specialty Brands', the Shock Top Belgian Style Wheat, and Sun Dog Amber Wheat, and found both awful. I knew those people didn't know how to make beer. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

4. Three of the better one's I tried were imports, Ayinger Wheat ( I see BA.com has 2 weisse's listed for Ayinger, but honestly, I can't remember which one), Hoegaarden White, and Schneider Hefe.

5. I found 3 lagers that were quite good also, Essers Best German Style Lager (no listing), Fauerbach Amber Lager, and Silver Creek Lager (no listing), who also make a truly spectacular root beer, which looks exactly like a standard lager. The "gimmick" there is that they (Silver Creek) say that you can drink it all night and no one will know it's not beer. I haven't had a soda in 10 maybe 15 years, but after one sip I wanted a gallon of the stuff.

6. One of my new favorite breweries is Berghoff, but they were only offering 3 styles, Original Lager, Genuine Dark, and Famous Red Ale, all of which I had already tried.

7. Leinie's was there, but again, I've tried everything they offered.

8. Waterstreet and Lakefront were both there. 16 years ago, on my 21st birthday, the first place my buddy and I went was Waterstreet for lunch and some brews. Fond memories. I had to give the Waterstreet Raspberry Weiss a go, and, sadly, just like all the others who have tried to mix fruit other than lemon in weiss beer, it wasn't very good.

9. I swear 90% of the breweries in this state come from three locals: Milwaukee, Black River Falls, and somewhere near Madison.

10. Flyers everywhere for another beer website, greatbrewers.com. Took a token look, and at first glance it doesn't seem as indepth as B.A.

11. Lotsa free coasters! Woohoo!

12. Several wine companies were there as well. Not a fan of wine, so didn't try any.

13. I was almost immediately irritated by the number of young people who where there pretty much just to get tanked. Now, I like going out and catching a buzz as much as the next guy, but the whole point of this was TASTING, not plastering. Maybe I'm just getting old.

After about 6-8 tastes, my already ruined taste buds were shot, so we hung around for another hour or so, then bailed. Even in my icky state, it was very cool, I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone with the time and 50 or so bucks. I'll be heading back next year, hopefully in a much better medical state. Also like to mention that there's the "18th Annual Northeast Wisconsin Beer Festival and charity auction for M.S." on April 5th at the Wave Bar & Ballroom in Appleton. Thinking I'll give that a try as well. The number for tickets (which are a very reasonable $25) is 1-800-261-BEER. They list 250 beers and 50 wines for sampling.

I'm sure I forgot some stuff, I may come back and hit those some time later.

My high school years were done in Black River Falls. I don't remember any breweries, or was I naive? Maybe they've all been built since I left? Which ones are they?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Awesome recap, fstorm.

3. I was very, VERY happy to have sampled two Anheiser Busch's Specialty Brands', the Shock Top Belgian Style Wheat, and Sun Dog Amber Wheat, and found both awful. I knew those people didn't know how to make beer. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Did you tell them you thought it was so bad? Good to hear WI had them outclassed by a mile.

12. Several wine companies were there as well. Not a fan of wine, so didn't try any.

I'm all about wine tasting! Do you remember any of the wineries?

13. I was almost immediately irritated by the number of young people who where there pretty much just to get tanked. Now, I like going out and catching a buzz as much as the next guy, but the whole point of this was TASTING, not plastering. Maybe I'm just getting old.

No, you're just not a moron. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone with the time and 50 or so bucks. I'll be heading back next year, hopefully in a much better medical state. Also like to mention that there's the "18th Annual Northeast Wisconsin Beer Festival and charity auction for M.S." on April 5th at the Wave Bar & Ballroom in Appleton. Thinking I'll give that a try as well. The number for tickets (which are a very reasonable $25) is 1-800-261-BEER. They list 250 beers and 50 wines for sampling.

$50 is a good deal, but $25 is criminal! Sounds like H&P was a great event, and that in general, NE WI has the beer landscape covered. And again, that's a sweet recap of an event that sounds like a blast. Just as a heads-up, Old World Wisconsin runs an event called Midsummer Magic ($40), which is similar in that it's an outdoor vendor event. It's not exclusively beer/wine tasting event, but there's plenty of that to go around. Off the top of my head, from recent years, they've had Berghoff, Leinenkugels, Lakefront, New Glarus, Sprecher... that's about all I can remember. Oh, but wait - how could I forget the racing sausages! (pics from 2007)

http://www.friendsoww.org/2007_msm_gallery/klements_sausage.jpg

http://www.friendsoww.org/2007_msm_gallery/klements_sausages.jpg

fstorm1 wrote:

13. I was almost immediately irritated by the number of young people who where there pretty much just to get tanked. Now, I like going out and catching a buzz as much as the next guy, but the whole point of this was TASTING, not plastering. Maybe I'm just getting old

All you can drink in a college town. I guess that shouldn't be surprising. People are always a little less mature in their 20's. I know I was at least.

With the wine tasting being there I am pretty sure I can talk my wife into doing it next year.

TLB, you are in a pretty good wine area of the country.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Which ones are they?
Boy, I wish I had written them down. I'm pretty sure there were 2 there last night, Sand Creek, and one other. Can't remember. Maybe Pioneer? And I believe I've had a couple from that area. Maybe it only seemed like there were alot. Might be just the general area, La Crosse, Marshfield, etc.

Did you tell them you thought it was so bad?
If I had been in better shape, I would've. Honestly, even before I tried them I told my nice lady friend that I am fundamentally against any A.B. , but that I am also bound by the rules of man to try them. I was wearing a nice smile afterwards.

Do you remember any of the wineries?
Let's see...Taft Street Winery, Anthony Road Winery, and White Winter Winery. Those are the ones I know for sure. Seemed to me that a number of the breweries also had wine available. Come to think of it, that New Glarus Belgian Red I had might fit better in the wine or wine cooler category than beer.

No, you're just not a moron.
Thank goodness. I appreciate the fact that now several people have told me that. Thought I was maybe getting a little dusty.

As I said, even though I was ill, it was still a very slick event. Many people, who I assume had gone in previous years, had arrived fully decked out as if they were maybe going to the opera. It was a little odd seeing half the people dressed nice and savoring each sample, while the other half was wearing some sort of beer clothing ("This isn't a beer gut..."), and literally running from table to table.

LeRoy Butler was there as well, but I stuck to the brews.

Tonight was a good night, I was able to take down three different beers.

First of all, there was Sprecher's Scottish Style Ale. The smell was somewhat iffy, but it was very tasty and was 8%. Not too bad.

Second was Lazy Mutt Ale, which was tasty enough, but kind of disappointing.

Thirdly, and most delicious in my mind, was Berghoff's Solstice Wit Beer. A slight citrusy taste and refreshing.

Overall, yes, a good night.

while the other half was wearing some sort of beer clothing ("This isn't a beer gut..."), and literally running from table to table.

LeRoy Butler was there as well, but I stuck to the brews.

Was he wearing a shirt that said, 'I'll retire your number if you retire mine'?

Blonde bottles are clear. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Not much better. I do like the original Grolsh despite it being in an icky green bottle. I will probably give Grolsh Blonde a try, but not for a while. I am faced with the difficult decision of drinking either Hacker-Pshorr Weiss, Crop Circle Wheat/Great Dane, or Sprecher Heffe Weiss. I like the wheat.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I am faced with the difficult decision of drinking either Hacker-Pshorr Weiss, Crop Circle Wheat/Great Dane, or Sprecher Heffe Weiss. I like the wheat.

Now that's what I call a good problem to have! I'm not much of a wheat guy, but given that... all three of those beers are awesome.

I actually have a friend that works for AB. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'll see if he knows where it's available. They're actually an interesting story- they had just signed a long US distributing deal with AB just a year or so before SABMiller bought them. So it's a SAB beer being imported by AB.

bar louie during happy hour is a great, and more importantly CHEAP way to sample lots of different beers that are normally pretty expensive. If you go on Tuesday they have a great burger deal as well. Anyway, one of the best beers I've ever had was Delirium, I guess you could call it an ale, but dont quote me on that. Anyway, normally its 9 bucks A GLASS. During happy hour its 2.

There is another one I liked a lot too, like Carp Redhead or something silly like that, also very tasty, and normally over the top expensive.

As for me, when I decide to treat myself from the regular cheap-o's of Hamm's, Pabst, Beast Light, or Blatz, I enjoy:

Lake Front Riverwest Stein

Pete's Rally Cap

Blue Moon

Spotted Cow

Not very exotic I know, but seriously, check out the Bar Louie special. there's one on Water, and another at Bay Shore, though the one on Water has a better selection.

Also, I fall into that "green bottle" camp. Beck's, Rolling Rock, and Heineken are all terrible in my mouth, especially Beck's...yeeeessshh

Hmm - that's funny... Beck's is one of my favorite 'macro' beers. To each his own. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif That Louie deal sounds amazing, btw.

Man, I'm gonna need some good beer tonight. Gotta drink to Favre.

Gobias, go to GreatBrewers.com, and use the "beer finder" feature. Use any Milwaukee zip. I did a quick look for Grolsch at 53201 and it spit out 10 locations. Hope you get lucky.

On the flip side, tried a Hofbrau Munchen Hefe Weizen (listed as "Münchner Kindl Weissbier" at BA). Mmmmmm, lovely. Label boasts it being "foamy", and it held it's head for nearly the entire time I drank it. Was a tad carbonated, but very yummy. Not Hacker Pschorr or In-Heat Wheat great, but probably right with Berghoff's Hefe. As Jason Alstrom, one of the BA brothers' states:

Perfectly balanced for the style and extremely drinkable, its right up there in greatness with the rest of the quality German wheat beers.
Ditto.

Archived