Brewer Fanatic

The Beer Thread: 2007 – 2008

TooLiveBrew
  • Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying to chase down some more Kona beery goodness. I actually went as far (couldn't find any yet) as to call the local distributor, who then patched me to their salesman for NW Portland. He didn't care at all, and is going to check which of his customers carry any Kona near my apt.

Thank you, beer gods! I can't believe that this is actually going to work. I fully expected to be told to basically go find it myself.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I have a Sprecher Heffe Weiss poured in a glass pretty much like the glass used in that video. It really does seem to make a difference leaving a bit in the bottle to swirl. Of course that could all be in my head.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Best. Video. Ever. This should be required viewing for any beer lover. Brought a tear to me eye.

This evening I rounded up another "build-your-own-6-pack". Getting tough, because the beers I tend to gravitate towards, mainly wheats, are a little harder to come by this time of year. And generally, I might stay away from one these days if I see it available. However, tonight I gambled on Berghoff's Solstice Wit Beer, and found me a winner. Very, very good, with just the right amount of citrus/lemon. Excellent. And, of course, as is the nearly always the case, something I like apparently no one else does, as it's cumulative grade over at beeradvocate is a C+. Well...that just means more for me.

And what a lovely Valentine's present I got from my nice lady fried: tickets to this years Hop and Props at the EAA Air Venture Museum. These are the "Featured Breweries" that will be there.

I am currently dancing on a cloud. A heavy cloud, filled with beer. And I am happy. Or wheaty. Happy and wheaty.

Yep, been to Fratello's a couple times. Been to the former Fox River Brewing Co. many times. They had a great seasonal called Winnebago Wheat. It sure was fun buying a gallon of it in those glass jugs. Their Buzzin' Honey Ale was pretty good as well.

And, of course, as is the nearly always the case, something I like apparently no one else does, as it's cumulative grade over at beeradvocate is a C+. Well...that just means more for me.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif That's great. Personal taste is all that matters, right?

Wow. I Get [Kona] at Costco. By the case. They are ALWAYS at the beer festival BTW.

I have yet to check the local Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. If I had a car, I'd definitely hit a Costco. I'm looking forward to catching them at the brewers' festival!

Anyone who likes big, strong amber style ales should try SkullSplitter. It is a Scottish Ale and pretty darn good. We initially tried it because ... well it's called SkullSplitter. But its actually a good beer. And there is a very intimidating Viking with an axe on the label. I also love Third Coast Ale. They are out of Michigan and I believe brewed by the Bell's people. Locally my two favorites are Lakefront Riverwest Stein and New Glarus Spotted Cow.

that Riverwest Stein brew is one of the best little/unknown WI microbrews imho.

EDIT: On a whim, tried a Trader Joe's brew tonight. Hofbrau Bock. Got an aggregate B- vote at ba.com. I'd go higher, with my personal preference being around a B+. It's an old-world Deutschland brew. For those who know Madison, it'd fit right in at Essen Haus... and I think that's a hefty compliment in its own right.

Not a sweet bock like a Maibock. Old-school style. Not a beer for new beer drinkers, unless said new beer drinkers like the German style. Looks like a pilsner when poured out, but take one whiff & you know you've got a bock. Basically, if you like bocks, and esp. in the old-world style, go get this beer!

Honestly, it's good enough to make me want to branch out to other Trader Joe's brews. This is the first I've tried from them. I've gotten a bit tired of staring at the same selection at the local grocer (albeit a great selection), so my next beer run will likely be to TJ's.

I bought the Trader Joe's 2007 Vintage Ale a few weeks back for something like $4.99. It's a Belgian style brewed by Unibroue special for Trader Joe's. I wish I would've bought two bottles, one to age and one to drink now. My wife is leaving town for the weekend, so I think I'll drink it tonight. I'm not patient enough to cellar a bottle of beer.

Shameful that I had to go to the bottom of page 3 for this thread. I now have my wife drinking beer out of a glass now.

Well done on both counts - "shameful" is the proper word. Rumor going around is that today's Friday... if this is indeed true, I must go out and acquire some beer. Perhaps the quest for Kona will have to be completed tonight.

Archived