Brewer Fanatic

I am not the only one looking forward to Halo 3

logan82
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you want to enjoy multiplayer more I would avoid matchmaking for a couple weeks. By then all the really good players will have gotten higher rankings and you will not have to face them. I might avoid all multiplayer except Coop for this reason.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I played it this weekend and had a blast. My friends had 3 systems in a house and we had a DLP projector, big screen LCD and a standard TV all running. It was mostly the social aspect that had me hooked, as I'll say (before I duck and hide from the eggs thrown at me) that I really don't think the game itself is that mind-blowing. I honestly prefer Warhawk in terms of pure gameplay.

I thought the cutscenes were pretty shoddy. I also thought the campaign was to short. I will replay the campaign several times using the scoring system they have. The social aspect you talked about is what makes Halo so popular. It is more fun if you play with people you know as opposed to randon people. Not everybody playing is a jerk, maybe 1 in 50, but running across one is enough to ruin a gaming sesion. I have run across a few quitters already and I make sure to make them avoided players.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I have been playing campaign here and there, never played the other halos except a few times here/there because most of my friends and I had playstations. But once I got a 360 I knew I was getting this game.

I haven't ventured out to multiplayer yet, but would like to try. I probably won't dominate the game but I hope to not be a instant death either.

gamertag: stoops17

$170 million opening. Single biggest entertainment day in history. If Sony isn't sweating, they should be.
$170 million = less than 3 million units sold @ $60 per. Considering all the legendary / collectable edition sales are launch-only, it's considerably less than that.

Over 15 million people went to see Spider-Man 3 in its opening weekend (my least-fav. of the trilogy, but still the motion picture record holder, IIRC). IMO, Halo 3 isn't the largest launch in the history of entertainment....I'm also guessing that Madden '08 sold more in its opening day / weekend / however the calculation is being done....when you total the purchases across all consoles. It's at best weak marketing spin.

I'm far more interested in the September hardware numbers: since it's launch, XBox 360 has been the place to get Halo 3. (Much like I bought my PS3 for Final Fantasy 13.) How many of those new purchases were made to the same install base of the original XBox? I don't doubt that it's going to be a great holiday season for Microsoft and the 360, but Sony needs to focus more on getting great games into the hands of potential PS3 players than they do worrying about any one game on the 360.

And 25 million will watch the Super bowl--the point is that money matters. You wouldn't have 15 million people paying $60 to see Spider-man 3. And Madden sold less than three million in August across all consoles, so no it didn't match Halo 3's opening.

And 25 million will watch the Super bowl--the point is that money matters. You wouldn't have 15 million people paying $60 to see Spider-man 3. And Madden sold less than three million in August across all consoles, so no it didn't match Halo 3's opening.

Since when has the day 1 dollar value been a media cross-comparison for anything? Since Microsoft said it was? What's the frame of reference for the comparison; I'm guessing that the PS3 launch netted more in one day sales (at $500 or $600 per buyer), or the launch of the iPhone. And, of course, it excludes worldwide launch numbers (like the 20 million+ copies of the final Harry Potter book which sold on day 1 in the UK). Heck, even the movie industry figure is questionable: the movie industry usually focuses on opening weekend sales moreso than day 1 numbers. Taking the one number that makes your product look good and making that out to be the most important consideration is blatant marketing spin.

You are right about Madden, which shouldn't surprise me due to the iterative nature of the game, but it does.

I'm not saying that Halo 3 is disappointing, or that you shouldn't enjoy it. I'm just saying that the sales statistic is meaningless, and that the game is playing to the console's installed base. The President of Nintendo of America tends to agree with me:

Q There's been a lot of buzz about Microsoft's "Halo 3." How do you expect it to affect the console battle this holiday season?

A Will they sell a lot of software? Certainly. Will it sell hardware? I think it's an open question. Why? Because I think that the "Halo 3" consumer already has the hardware, because they're playing "BioShock" and "Crackdown" and a variety of games that are, in the end, quite similar: first-person shooter experience, multiplayer capable online. Tell me what's new?

Sony needs to put its efforts on convincing PS2 owners to buy the PS3 than they do worrying about the same people who bought Halo 1&2 buying Halo 3. Unfortunately, there aren't going to be raw numbers on first-time Halo 3 buyers, as that would actually be a telling statistic.

Ya know, I may be crazy. I may be old fashioned. I am definitely out of touch. The last game system I ever owned or played was an N-64. To top it off, I only had like three games for it and I didn't even play one of them.

I'm so not hip.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0f/Nerd.jpg

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Let's clear up a few figures first. Harry Potter sold 11+ million books worldwide in its first 24 hours, with about 2 million in the UK. Many of those book were sold for as little as $10, which is why it didn't gross over $170 million. As for movies, they certainly do track one day sales, as the record is $59 million by Spiderman 3. Though the film industry usually doesn't like to announce first day sales, as the first day is typically a Friday, and Fridays do less money then Saturdays. Add in the general paranoia that announcing sales figures from a smaller day might adversely effect second day sales numbers and voila, weekend sales figures become the standard. Also, the $170 million dollar figure being touted is worldwide sales, and is being compared to other worldwide sales openings, as it should be. And while the number doesn't have much relevance, it is still a huge number to be put up by any game. And I find Nintendo blowing off a games sales numbers simply because it appeals to a systems core audience absolutely ridiculous. A game should appeal to a systems core audience. And if a competitors system's core audience is large enough to put up sales numbers like Halo 3 is, then it should be troubling. Now I can understand Nintendo not being as worried, they aren't really direct competitors with the 360, but Sony is, and Sony is still in third place by a huge margin for system sales.

As for PS3 sales and iPhone sales and whatever piece of hardware you think should be compared to a software sales it simply will never happen. Hardware, by itself, is not a form of entertainment, and thus does not have sales comparisons to video games, movies, cds, books etc. And until they start making replicants, they never will.

http://www.celluloidheroreviews.com/images/blade-runner-92.jpg

Kat saved me a lot of time...

Played some non-ranked games online last night. Generally fun but when you run into a team that all played together for 3 years of Halo 2, it gets ugly quick. We lost one game something like 18 to 50.

My only real gripe so far is that they have Shotty/Snipers come up in matchmaking more than they should. I'd prefer 1/10.

Holy cow yes! Way too often(and team rockets is never enough, IMO). however, i do love giving a club to the back of the head of a sniper. That always makes me laugh.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

My complaints are fairly small, although it would have been nice to see them.

*They took out the hit percentage stat which was always fun for me.

*It would be nice if I could see my overall kills/deaths from multiplayer directly in the game rather than having to get on the computer to check.

*Clans aren't supported yet

*It would have been nice to be able to join custom games created by people who aren't on my friends list

*Something seems odd about beating people down with the shotgun... I think they made the reactions by the character in-game too quick. Sometimes it's hard to tell if you were beat down or shot because it happens a lot quicker than it did in halo 2

*I have yet to play some of the maps because it seems to only cycle 3 or 4 maps over and over

I don't think I would ever run across you guys in matchmaking. I usually stick to team based games, Assualt, capture the flag and such.

I like team based as well to mix things up. I don't know why, but my other friends hate capture the flag and assault.

Yeah I used to love Team Skirmish...I've only played one game of whatever it's call now in Halo 3...my friends only like Slayer for some reason, it's nice to mix it up once in awhile.

I used to really like Big Team Battle when I would have a good game with a team and we'd party up and go on a 10-15 match winning streak, then it got too laggy, etc. and Slayer it was.

Archived