Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Tuesday, May 15th

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tuesday's Daily Menu:

All times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Nashville: RHP Chris Oxspring at Salt Lake (Angels), 11:20 AM pre-game; 11:35 gametime

Audio link:

www.nashvillesounds.com/listenlive/

Huntsville: LHP Steve Hammond at Carolina (Marlins), 6:00 PM pre-game; 6:15 gametime

Audio link:

www.huntsvillestars.com/

Brevard County: TBD at Jupiter (Marlins), 5:25 PM pre-game, 5:35 gametime; it'll probably be RHP Will Inman, it's his turn...

Audio link (game will also archive at this link):

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../audio.jsp

West Virginia: LHP Luis Ramirez at Greensboro (Marlins), 6:50 PM pre-game, 7:00 gametime

Audio link (game will also archive at this link):

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../audio.jsp

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Follow Tuesday's action as it happens:

Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Window". Open the Nashville Gameday. For the others, choose "Log". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often.

Nashville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_slcaaa_1

Huntsville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_cmcaax_1

Brevard County:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_jupafa_1

West Virginia:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_gboafx_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

These links will be included in each daily report when the Nashville Sounds and/or Huntsville Stars are scheduled to play. Normally they are updated an hour or two prior to gametime, with Nashville's usually earlier:

Nashville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

www.nashvillesounds.com/pdf/notes.pdf

Huntsville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

www.huntsvillestars.com/i...eNotes.pdf

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Standings through Monday's action:
 Pacific Coast League (AAA) - PCL American North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Iowa 21 17 .553 - 13-6 8-11 L1 Nashville 19 19 .500 2.0 10-5 9-14 W1 Memphis 19 20 .487 2.5 13-7 6-13 W1 Omaha 17 20 .459 3.5 14-8 3-12 W1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Southern League (AA) - SOU North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Huntsville 19 17 .528 - 9-11 10-6 W5 Tennessee 18 18 .500 1.0 6-10 12-8 L2 Chattanooga 18 20 .474 2.0 10-10 8-10 W2 West Tenn 17 21 .447 3.0 9-9 8-12 L2 Carolina 14 24 .368 6.0 7-11 7-13 L4 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Florida State League (A+) - FSL East Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brevard County 22 15 .595 - 12-6 10-9 W6 Daytona 20 16 .556 1.5 12-6 8-10 L1 Palm Beach 18 17 .514 3.0 9-12 9-5 L3 Vero Beach 18 18 .500 3.5 12-7 6-11 W2 St. Lucie 15 21 .417 6.5 7-11 8-10 L1 Jupiter 15 22 .405 7.0 5-10 10-12 L5 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- South Atlantic League (A) - SAL Northern Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- West Virginia 24 10 .706 - 13-7 11-3 L2 Greensboro 24 13 .649 1.5 12-4 12-9 W3 Lakewood 18 17 .514 6.5 7-11 11-6 W1 Lake County 18 18 .500 7.0 10-9 8-9 L1 Hickory 15 20 .429 9.5 6-8 9-12 L1 Lexington 16 22 .421 10.0 8-13 8-9 W1 Hagerstown 15 22 .405 10.5 10-11 5-11 W3 Delmarva 14 22 .389 11.0 6-9 8-13 L3

West Virginia is on the road today...they are here in Greensbor...

no, i have no idea whay they had two games against the hoppers in WV, two games here, then two more there...

nonetheless, i will be there tonight...talking to some players hopefully..

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Nashville 6, Salt Lake (Angels) 3

Nashville Site Game Summary:

Link for Mike Rivera photo, text follows --

www.nashvillesounds.com/n...ewsId=2317

Rivera Powers Sounds To 6-3 Win Over Bees

SALT LAKE CITY ? Mike Rivera belted a pair of home runs to lead the Nashville Sounds to a 6-3 victory over the Salt Lake Bees on Tuesday morning at Franklin Covey Field in the finale of a four-game series and eight-game road trip.

Nashville (20-19) concluded the trip with two straight wins to finish the trek at 2-6.

Rivera, who drove in four of the six Nashville runs on the day, became the third Sound to hit multiple homers in a game in 2007, joining Ryan Braun and Chris Barnwell.

The Sounds took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning against Bees starter Jonathon Rouwenhorst when Callix Crabbe scored on a Laynce Nix RBI single.

Crabbe, who opened the game with a single, continued his recent hot hitting with a 3-for-4 effort that extended his hitting streak to a season-best six games.

Salt Lake responded with a three-spot in the bottom of the first against Sounds starter Chris Oxspring, who lasted only two-plus innings in his shortest outing of the year. Mike Eylward drove in all three runs with a one-out, bases-loaded double to left that put the Bees in front by a 3-1 margin.

Oxspring, who took a no-decision, threw 69 pitches in his two-plus innings and walked a season-high four batters. He allowed three runs on five hits and saw his ERA rise to 2.58 on the year.

Steve Bray followed Oxspring on the hill for Nashville and worked three hitless innings, twice avoiding trouble by inducing inning-ending double plays in the second and third frames. Bray extended his scoreless streak to 14.0 consecutive innings and lowered his ERA to a miniscule 0.96 on the season.

Rivera knotted the contest at 3-3 in the top of the fourth with a two-run home run to center off Rouwenhorst, the backstop?s fourth roundtripper of the season. Joe Dillon, whose single to lead off the frame extended the veteran?s season-best hitting streak to five games, also scored on the Rivera longball.

Rouwenhorst took a no-decision for the Bees after allowing three runs (two earned) on seven hits over seven innings.

Rivera struck again for the Sounds in the top of the eighth when he belted his second two-run homer of the afternoon, a go-ahead shot to left off Bees reliever Alex Serrano that propelled Nashville to a 5-3 lead. The blast was his fifth of the year and third of the four-game series.

AUDIO: Rivera's 2nd HR Gives Sounds Lead --

www.nashvillesounds.com/a...205-15.mp3

Nashville added an insurance run in the ninth when Jose Macias plated Crabbe with a two-our RBI single to left off Chris Resop.

Jose Capellan (3-2) was awarded the victory after working 1 2/3 hitless innings of relief that included a pair of strikeouts.

Luther Hackman picked up his third save of the year with a scoreless ninth, although he struck out the potential tying run in Adam Pavkovich on a 3-2 count to do so. After the right-hander retired the first two batters of the inning, the Bees put two runners on to make things interesting before Hackman slammed the door.

Serrano (1-3) allowed two runs on two hits in his lone frame of work to take the loss for Salt Lake.

Vinny Rottino had Nashville?s longest hitting streak of the season snapped at nine games following an 0-for-4 effort. The red-hot utilityman has hit safely in 15 of his lat 17 contests.

The Sounds will join the entire Pacific Coast League for an off day on Wednesday before opening an eight-game homestand at 7 p.m. on Thursday evening at Greer Stadium by hosting the Albuquerque Isotopes (AAA-Marlins) in the first of 15 games between the clubs this season. Nashville won the 2006 season series by a narrow 9-7 margin.

Right-hander Yovani Gallardo (4-1, 2.53), the Milwaukee Brewers? top prospect and current PCL strikeout leader with 55 K?s on the year, will start Thursday?s 7 p.m. homestand opener for the Sounds. Albuquerque will counter with veteran left-hander Chris George (2-2, 5.23).

Nashville Box Score:

Laynce Nix is unconscious -- trade him to somebody at the big league level while we can; reliever Steve Bray remains a Link Report favorite, dating back to his Rule 5 acquisition last season...

Nashville Game Log:

I agree with Mass that Nix should be dealt ASAP, hopefully for a young guy (A ball or so) with some upside. A deal like Franklin for Villanueva would obviously be ideal. Maybe some Brewers scout or Gord Ash or Doug Melvin has their eye on a middling or low-level prospect in some other organization who they think has the tools to eventually succeed.

Just got back from the WV power game...had a lot of fun, even if the team had a rough time tonight...

I'm going to post a longer comments section tomorrow, but here's a few notes from tonight:

---WV has too many outfielders! It's hard to believe that Stephen Chapman is sitting just because the team has too much talent. One would think darren Ford or Mike Brantley would move up at some point, but it's a crowded situation

---Speaking of Brantley...He dropped to his knees after a ground out mid game and it took him about a minute to get up. He definitely looked hurt, and the team sent Chapman to warm up, but Brantley was able to stay in the game. Steve Chapman told me he tweeked his "hip flexor or Hamstring," but since he was able to stay in, i wouldn't worry much about it...

---As if you didnt already know: Brent Brewer, Darren Ford, and Jimmy Mojica are all ridiculously fast.

---Zach Braddock told me his fastball can hit 92, but 90 is more normal. The team plans (obviously) to keep him in the rotation, and has given him no suggestion that he might move to Brevard this year. He told me he was talking with Phillip Hughes agent (not Boras---I don't remember the guys name) so he's hoping to keep things going.

---Luis Ramirez tops out at about 87----Roque Mercedes also works in that range. If I had to guess, i'd say Roque weighs about 140 pounds...he's a stick.

---Mike Brantley told me the reason his power has surged this year is because he's "finally healthy." Don't forget that Mike has walked more than he's k'ed this year.

---Brent Brewer was slick with the glove at SS. he reminds me a lot of Billy Hall---he's got wheels and a cannon. He looks like a ballplayer, so i'd be surprised if he doesnt hit for quite a bit more power later on---i'd say that he's got 30 home run potential, but that 20 a year is probably a more realistic projection.

That's all i got for now. A giant thank you to everyone that spoke with me tonight---especially Steve Chapman's mom, who entertained my wife and I for a couple innings!

Final: Greensboro (Marlins) 4, West Virginia 0

The Power gets shut out by a surging grass hoppers team...

WV Box Score:

www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb..._gboafx_1

WV Game Log

Both Darren Ford and Chuck Caulfield were picked off by the pitcher, Graham taylor, who has a great move to first..

www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb..._gboafx_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

West Virginia Site Game Summary:

'HOPPERS SHUT POWER OUT

Greensboro lefty Graham Taylor tossed the South Atlantic League?s first complete game shutout of the season at First Horizon Park on Tuesday night, holding the West Virginia Power to just five hits as the ?Hoppers took the third game of the series 4-0.

John Raynor knocked in Greg Burns with an RBI single in the bottom of the third to put the ?Hoppers on the board. In the fifth inning Chris Coughlan?s groundout plated Burns and Jacob Blackwood hit a two-run homer during the next at-bat to give the Grasshoppers all they would need.

The loss was the third in a row for the Power, their longest losing streak of the season. The loss also marks the second time this season that they have been shut out, both shutouts have come on the road. Their lead in the Northern Division has fallen to a half game.

Graham Taylor (5-1) earned the victory, and Luis Ramirez (1-1) was tagged with the loss. Taylor tossed all nine innings, holding the Power to just five hits, walked one batter and struck out seven.

The Power fell to 24-11 with the loss and the Grasshoppers improved to 25-13 with the win. Roque Mercedes and Omar Aguilar combined to toss three and a third scoreless innings out of the bullpen.

The Power will finish the four game series against Greensboro Wednesday afternoon. The Power will start left hander Brae Wright (2-2, 5.97) and the Grasshoppers will counter with right hander Sandy Rosario (0-0, 5.79). The first pitch is scheduled for 12:30 PM (11:30 AM Central).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Jupiter (Marlins) 3, Brevard County 2

MiLB.com Game Notes:

Hammerheads walk past Manatees

Former Brewer farmhand Agustin Septimo's bases-loaded walk in the bottom of the ninth inning lifted Jupiter over Brevard County, 3-2, on Tuesday.

With the score tied, Manatees reliever Ben Stanczyk (1-1) walked four of the six batters he faced in the ninth. J.T. Restko drew a leadoff walk and pinch-runner Colin Roberson advanced on Kris Harvey's sacrifice.

After Jonathan Fulton walked and Carlos Piste lined out to left field, Lorenzo Scott Jr. walked to load the bases and bring Septimo to the plate.

The Hammerheads (15-22), who totaled three hits but drew nine walks, tied the score at 2-2 in the third when Andrew Jenkins singled home Scott.

The Manatees (22-15), who had their six-game winning streak snapped, got on the board in the first when Angel Salome singled in Lorenzo Cain. Charlie Fermaint added an RBI single in the fifth.

Jupiter reliever Todd Doolittle (1-3) got the win after working a scoreless ninth. Starter Aaron Thompson went five innings and allowed two runs on six hits and three walks while striking out seven.

Manatees starter Will Inman tossed six innings and surrendered two runs -- one earned -- on three hits while fanning nine and walking four. His Florida State League-leading ERA crept up to 1.29. -- Alan Friedman/MLB.com

Brevard County Box Score:

Angel Salome seeing lots of time at DH, not behind the plate...

web.minorleaguebaseball.c...p;sid=t503

Brevard County Game Log:

web.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_jupafa_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Carolina (Marlins) 6, Huntsville 0

Huntsville Site Game Summary:

Link, text follows --

www.huntsvillestars.com/n...ewsId=1159

Vanden Hurk Hurls Carolina Past Stars

Dante Brinkley hit two home runs and Rick Vanden Hurk tossed six scoreless innings to earn his first double-A win in Carolina?s 6-0 blanking of Huntsville Tuesday night in the fourth of a five-game set at Five County Stadium in Zebulon, NC. The Mudcats ended a four-game slide and won for the first time in 10 tries against the Stars dating back to July 22 of last season, while the visitors saw their five-game win streak halted and dropped into a first place tie with victorious Tennessee in the Southern League North Division. Huntsville also had a five-game road win streak brought to an end and was shut out for just the second time this season.

A Hernan Iribarren single, a Vanden Hurk fielding error and a walk to Lou Palmisano loaded the bases for the Stars with one out in the first inning but they failed to score after Brendan Katin struck out and Ulyses Davenport grounded out. Brinkley hit the second pitch thrown to him leading off the home first over the wall in left field for his second home run of the season. The long ball marked the fifth time in eight starts that starter Steve Hammond has been scored on in the first inning and the second time in four starts on the road that he has yielded a first inning round tripper.

Hammond gave up two singles in the second and then retired the next 10 hitters he faced to keep the game 1-0 through five. Brinkley opened the home sixth with his second long ball of the game, marking the second time the Stars? southpaw had yielded multiple home runs in a road start. Chase Lambin tripled to center and scored when Grant Psomas singled to make it 3-0. Lee Mitchell walked and Vince Harrison singled to right to load the bases and chase Hammond from the game. Jai Miller?s double play grounder scored Psomas and a Brett Hayes single plated Mitchell to finish off the four-run rally. The home side tacked on a run in the seventh on a two-out double by Mitchell that scored Psomas, who had reached on a three-base error by Davenport.

Vanden Hurk, in just his fourth start above the high-A level in the minor leagues, yielded two infield hits, walked one and struck out one batter in each of his six frames to earn his lone win of the season. He had made three starts and one outing in relief with the Marlins before being sent back to Carolina, where he was originally slated to open the season. James Russ tossed three scoreless frames to record his first save of the season and just the second of his career. He gave up one hit, walked one and fanned four. The Stars had scored 31 runs on 35 hits in the first three games of the series to produce their highest-scoring series of the season.

The series finishes Wednesday night with Stars? left-hander Lindsay Gulin taking the hill against Mudcats? right-hander Jesus Delgado. Coverage of the game begins at 6:00 p.m. central time and can be heard locally on SportsRadio 730 WUMP and through the internet at www.huntsvillestars.com.

Huntsville Box Score:

Brendan Katin with a golden sombrero (0-for-4, 4 K's)...

Huntsville Game Log:

Pogo: Trust me, you haven't gotten to see the fun that the Power speed can create yet! Yes, Mojica, Brewer and Ford are fast, but the Power only had 6 base runners yesterday.....wait till you see what happens when all those guys reach base in the same inning or two! It truly is entertaining! Some of the best fun I've ever had at a ballpark is watching the pitcher and shortstop when two of these guys are on base, and one is at the plate! Enjoy your day, and bring us a win this time please!

I got to talk with Zach for about 20 minutes yesterday...he's a great guy...wish i was getting to see him pitch, but maybe later in the season...

i'll try and bring on a win today...the greensboro squad has some great pitching...

Archived