Brewer Fanatic

Balfour DFA'd, Traded to Tampa for RHP Seth McClung

bthurley19
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
His stats looks like Grant Balfour three years younger without the surgeries. Great in AAA, horrible in the show.

I think he had Tommy John Surgury in 2004. He is a hard thrower, and I think he was there opening day starter once. He is a guy with a chance. Change of scenary was probably a good idea for him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Quote:
Seth McClung?

nice call drezden, not sure how you knew. I think this trade is good for us. It gives a good AAA option, which is much better than just outright releasing balfour. He was TB's closer next season for some point, so he has value.

"most importantly, he can go to the minors"

He must be in his last option year. He spent 2003 with the Rays, spent all of 2004 on the DL, spent parts of 2005 and 2006 with the Rays but was optioned for a month or two each year. This year he has been optioned for the whole year so far.

I like this deal, McClung has a bit more upside in my opinion and pitching for Tampa Bay is just about the worst possible situation you can be in so I'll give him a slight mulligan. Pitching in the AL east on a poor defensive team that has bad starters and an overworked bullpen is just not a good place to succeed at.

McClung entered spring training this year competing for the closer job, but showed up overweight and was sent to AAA. Dumb move, he is lucky to be getting a 2nd chance. Lets hope he makes the most of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Good fastball and curveball with some control issues? Sounds like another Derrick Turnbow...maybe with some help from Maddux, McClung could have some success in Milwaukee like Turnbow has. Of course, I wouldn't be opposed to stashing him in AAA for the rest of the year and bringing him up next year to step into a pen role.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Turnbow is a pretty decent comparison, as McClung can hit 98 and has an excellent curve, but has awful control, and a questionable brain.

In a Sports Illustrated article on Boston I think two years ago, the Red Sox were saying that he had the best stuff they had seen all year. He looks like Pete Ladd too, for all the old-timers.

sorry about the above post, I see several people mentioned the thing about the surgery. Didn't mean to pile on.

Anyway, McClung's major league numbers are just ugly. That's even more true of his numbers as a reliever though. It's a relatively small sample but here are his ML career relief numbers:

55 2/3 innings

41 earned runs

53 hits

49 walks

45 strikeouts

1.83 WHIP

6.63 ERA

McClung is a serious reclamation project. There can't be that many guys who have been that bad and then later become good. Let's hope he can get it turned around, but judging from his minor league walk numbers, I'm very skeptical that he can. That's the biggest adjustment to the majors from AAA, guys won't swing at stuff they'll strike out on in AAA. We saw that with Balfour (extremely small sample, but it was true when he was with the Twins too).

The real question is, what obvious dumb nickname will the LCD fans stick him with after he has a couple bad outings.

To my discredit, I think I know.

At any rate, I'm just happy they got even a reclamation project for a guy about to be shown the door. I just hope they don't decide that a pennant race is a good time to try and reclaim him.

Quote:
Good fastball and curveball with some control issues?

Great (upper 90s with movement) fastball and real good Curve - Struggles mightily vs left handed hitters. A good addition.

Balfour and Inman for Linebrink and McClung?

To me thats a good trade for a team starving for immediate BP help.

Archived