Brewer Fanatic

Link Report Thur. 5/17 - Yo Shines, Capellan Now In Rotation

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Asheville (Rockies) 12, West Virginia 9

Note to Jim Powell -- see, another 21-run game, multiple times this minor league season, someone will win that big jackpot yet on the radio broadcasts...

West Virginia Site Game Summary:

SEVEN RUN SEVENTH DOWNS POWER

The Asheville Tourists scored seven times in the seventh inning to beat the West Virginia Power and win their sixth game in a row as the took the first game of the series 12-9 at McCormick Field.

West Virginia took an early lead with a two-run first inning. Chuckie Caufield singled in Michael Brantley and Caufield scored later in the inning on a passed ball.

Asheville tied it up in the second on Matt Repec?s RBI double and Victor Ferrante?s run-scoring single. The Tourists took their first lead of the game with a three-run third. Daniel Mayora doubled in a run, Mike Paulk singled in the next run and Mayora scored on a Logan Wiens groundout. The Power came back to tie the game at 5-5. They scored twice in the fifth inning on RBI singles from Taylor Green and Darren Ford. With two outs in the fifth inning Steve Chapman tripled in Andrew Lefave to tie it up.

Asheville snapped the 5-5 tie with a seven-run seventh. The Tourists scored seven runs on four hits and sent ten batters to the plate in the inning. Hector Gomez doubled in the first two runs, Paulk singled in the third and Mike McKenry finished it off with a grand slam. West Virginia didn?t go quietly. Chapman and Martin Maldonado hit back-to-back solo home runs in the eighth inning and Brent Brewer hit a two-run double in the ninth.

David Parker (2-0) got the victory and Mike Ramlow (2-2) was tagged with the loss. The West Virginia Power have scored 23 runs on 32 hits over their last two games.

The Power fell to 25-12 with the loss and the Tourists improved to 29-10 with the win. Eight Power players hit safely, six Power players had multi-hit games, and four Power players scored multiple runs. Chuckie Caufield reached base four times and Darren Ford and Steve Chapman recorded three hits, giving Chapman six in the last two games.

The Power will continue the four game series against Asheville Friday night. The Power will start right hander Mike McClendon (2-1, 2.79) and the Tourists will counter with right hander Andrew Kreidermacher (2-0, 0.39). The first pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM (6:05 Central).

West Virginia Box Score:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_ashafx_1

West Virginia Game Log:

Starter Alex Periard's first shaky outing of the season, he finished up nicely in the 4th, but the log reveals a tough first three innings...

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_ashafx_1

Steve Chapman has raised his OPS about a hundred points in the last two games...

down in florida...Cole Gillespie's first half seems dissapointing, but its unbelievably similar to ryan braun's first half in the fsl last year...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Gillespie is still getting on based as evidenced by his .367 OBP. Considering his BA is only .250 that's pretty darn good. Once he starts hitting, he might put up some scary numbers.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link, text follows:

web.minorleaguebaseball.c...;fext=.jsp

Gallardo, Sounds two-hit Isotopes

By Marc Jimenez / Special to MLB.com

Yovani Gallardo and two relievers combined on a two-hitter as Nashville blanked visiting Albuquerque, 3-0, on Thursday.

Gallardo (5-1) got off to a shaky start in the first inning after walking two batters and throwing a wild pitch, but the 21-year-old right-hander rebounded nicely by setting down 12 straight batters before hitting Josh Labandeira with two outs in the fifth.

"My mechanics were a little off [in the first]," said Gallardo. "I had an extra day rest and I couldn't get my fastball over for strikes."

In the sixth, Eric Reed hit a one-out triple to break up the no-hit bed.

"It was a down-the-middle mistake," Gallardo admitted. "I got behind, came back with a changeup and he did what he was supposed to do."

Gallardo would retire two more batters before exiting after six innings. He threw 60 of 101 pitches for strikes, struck out 11 batters -- one off his season high -- and walked two en route to winning his fifth straight decision.

"I was just concentrating on making quality pitches," he said. "I would say my fastball was coming out good. That was a big thing."

Grant Balfour came on in the seventh, struck out two, walked one and gave up a two-out single to Reed in the eighth before Luther Hackman fanned two in the ninth for his fourth save.

Joe Dillon, who went 2-for-4, hit his first home run of the year in the fourth, and the Sounds (21-19) added two more runs in the eighth.

Except for Reed, every batter for Albuquerque (20-20) struck out at least once. Reed finished 2-for-3 with a walk.

Isotopes starter Chris George (2-3) surrendered a run on five hits, striking out seven and walking two, in seven innings.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

www.nashvillecitypaper.co...s_id=56248

Gallardo ices Isotopes in Sounds win

By Nate Rau, Nashville City Paper Sports Correspondent

When Yovani Gallardo is pitching, often times one hit is the difference between a win and a loss. That was the case for the Nashville Sounds on Thursday against the Albuquerque Isotopes at Greer Stadium.

Gallardo gave up just one hit through six innings and struck out 11 while Joe Dillon?s first homer of the season gave the Sounds all the offense they needed in a 3-0 victory over the Isotopes.

Dillon hit a solo homer in the fourth inning to provide Nashville (21-19) enough run support to secure the win.

The Sounds added a pair of insurance runs in the ninth.

Gallardo (5-1) took care of the rest. He was dominant again at Greer, going six strong innings and allowing just the one hit while walking two. Gallardo now has 66 strikeouts in 43.2 innings this season to lead the minor leagues.

The Sounds allowed just two hits and struck out 16 Isotopes as a team. Sounds relievers Grant Balfour added three Ks and Luther Hackman one. Hackman also earned the save, his fourth of the season.

Gallardo yielded his only hit with one out in the sixth, when Eric Reed tripled to right field. Gallardo managed to get the next two Isotopes out and Reed was stranded on third.

?I?m just trying to stay consistent,? Gallardo said. ?It?s been working out so far.?

Gallardo cruised through the Isotopes lineup after struggling somewhat in the first inning. He walked a pair of batters and threw a wild pitch before stranding runners on first and third.

?In the first inning I was just a little bit off, my command was just a little bit off,? Gallardo said. ?After that I got into a good groove and just kept on with that.?

Gallardo?s masterful performance on the mound, coupled with Dillon?s big hit helped the Sounds welcome themselves back to Music City. Nashville lost its first six games on its preceding road trip before winning its final two in Salt Lake City.

Sounds shortstop Chris Barnwell ended an 0-for-16 streak with a base hit in the fifth inning. The ball lined off the ankle of Albuquerque starter Chris George, who seemed to be shaken up but elected to stay in the game.

Nashville added two insurance runs in the eighth, including a pinch hit RBI single by Andy Abad.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....gqC++x0%3D

Gallardo tosses gem in win over Isotopes

By MIKE ORGAN

Tennessean Staff Writer

A group of professional wrestlers made an appearance at the Sounds game Thursday night against Albuquerque.

But it was Nashville pitcher Yovani Gallardo who kept the Isotopes batters pinned at the plate.

The right-hander struck out 11 in six innings and allowed just one hit, leading the Sounds to a 3-0 win in front of a Greer Stadium crowd of 7,314.

The win came in the first game of an eight-game homestand. Nashville now has won three consecutive games and 10 of its last 11 at home.

After a shaky first inning, Gallardo retook the lead in all of the minor leagues for strikeouts with a total of 66.

"In that first inning, I was just a little bit off,'' Gallardo said. "I had an extra day in the bullpen so it took me awhile to get into that rhythm. After that I just started slowing myself down. I managed to throw fastballs to both sides of the plate."

Reliever Grant Balfour picked up where Gallardo left off, getting three strikeouts and allowing one hit over the next two innings. Luther Hackman added two strikeouts in the final inning.

"They threw the ball well,'' Sounds Manager Frank Kremblas said. "Probably the most important thing was they were able to throw fastballs in for called strikes."

Gallardo, Milwaukee's top prospect and the 16th best overall minor league prospect by Baseball America, did not allow a hit until Eric Reed's triple in the fifth. Gallardo kept the Isotopes off the scoreboard by striking out Chad Hermansen and forcing Val Pascucci to pop up after that.

Gallardo was just one strikeout shy of his season-high 12, which came April 14 at New Orleans.

In his last seven starts, the native of Michoacan, Mexico, is 5-0 with a 1.65 ERA. It was the third time this year Gallardo has allowed only one hit.

The 16 total strikeouts tied the Sounds season-high.

What they said: "Sometimes you just don't have your rhythm yet and you have to kind of battle through the first inning. (Gallardo) did a good job of getting out of it.'' ? Kremblas.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....gqC++x0%3D

Braun placed on disabled list with wrist tendonitis

By MIKE ORGAN

Tennessean Staff Writer

Sounds slugger Ryan Braun was placed on the disabled list Thursday, retroactive to May 11, because of wrist tendonitis.

First baseman Andy Abad rejoined Nashville, replacing Braun on the active roster. Abad had missed six games while on the temporary inactive list following the birth of his son, Andrew Alexander.

Braun missed his 11th game Thursday. The third baseman leads the Sounds with eight home runs and was tied for the lead in the Pacific Coast League before being sidelined.

Abad was not in the starting lineup Thursday.

Thatcher in bullpen: Left-handed reliever Joe Thatcher was promoted to the Sounds' roster from Double-A Huntsville for Thursday's game against Albuquerque.

Thatcher replaced fellow lefty Luis Villarreal, who was returned to Huntsville.

Thatcher, 25, went 1-0 with a 0.55 ERA in 14 relief outings for the Stars to open the season. He struck out 20 batters while walking only two.

Villarreal, who joined Nashville on May 4 from Huntsville, had a 1.93 ERA in six relief appearances for the Sounds.

Dickey replaced: Pitcher R.A. Dickey, originally scheduled to start Saturday against Albuquerque, has been replaced by right-hander Jose Capellan. Dickey (1-4) will follow Capellan on the mound in that game.

Six straight: Outfielder Laynce Nix, who singled in the first inning Thursday, has hit safely in every game since he was added to the Sounds' active roster last week.

Nix had seven RBIs in his first five games with Nashville.

Slump snapped: Shortstop Chris Barnwell extended his hitting slump to 16-at bats in the third inning then snapped it in the fifth with a line drive that hit Isotopes pitcher Chris George in the foot. George was able to stay in the game. Barnwell ended his slump just in time to avoid having the longest of any Sounds player this year, which is 17 games. Barnwell got another hit (single) in the seventh.

Schedule quirk: The Sounds and Isotopes will play only 15 games against each other this season, one less than the traditional 16 games.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

www.nashvillecitypaper.co...s_id=56251

Capellan's adventure continues

By Nate Rau, Nashville City Paper Sports Correspondent

Jose Capellan, who remains unapologetic for abandoning his teammates during a road trip last month, finds himself as the center of attention yet again.

This time it isn?t for anything controversial. Capellan, who has been used as a short reliever in the Milwaukee Brewers? organization the last two years, is being moved to Nashville?s rotation.

Capellan will take R.A. Dickey?s spot in the rotation and get his first start on Saturday.

Capellan came to the Brewers from Atlanta, where he was a top prospect as a starter. Capellan was the Sounds? opening day starter in 2005 before being moved to the bullpen later that season.

Capellan was in the big leagues with the Brewers all last year working out of the bullpen. He expected a spot back in the pen this year but didn?t make the opening day roster out of spring training.

That?s when the real controversy ensued. Capellan reportedly contemplated retirement and then demanded a trade from the Brewers. Then last month he left the team while it was in Oklahoma City and didn?t return for two days.

Two weeks ago in an interview with Sounds play-by-play broadcaster Chuck Valenchas, Capellan said he wasn?t sorry for leaving the team.

The move to the rotation gives Capellan the opportunity to get more innings and opens him up as a long relief option for Milwaukee.

?It will give him a few more innings and open him up,? Sounds manager Frank Kremblas said. ?Anything is an option. When you?re not in the majors, the more things you can do as a pitcher the better off you?re going to be.?

Braun goes on disabled list: Sounds third baseman Ryan Braun finally went on the disabled list on Thursday because of his nagging wrist and groin injuries.

Braun remains day to day and could rejoin the team soon. He?s missed the last 11 games because of the injuries.

Braun was replaced by Andy Abad, who had been on the temporary inactive list so he could go to Florida for the birth of his son.

Additionally, the Brewers promoted reliever Joe Thatcher from Double A Huntsville. Thatcher replaces Luis Villarreal, who was sent back to Huntsville.

Stetter rehabbing in Arizona: Reliever Mitch Stetter has tendonitis in his left throwing shoulder and is rehabbing at Milwaukee?s extended spring training facility in Phoenix. Stetter has been on the disabled list since April 30.

Quote:
Jose Capellan, who remains unapologetic for abandoning his teammates during a road trip last month, finds himself as the center of attention yet again.

I hope he isn't brought up until he apologizes. I am really starting to dislike him.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I like the idea of cappelan starting, it could increase his trade value.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Or it looks like they are wanting to stretch him out so he can fill Dessens role...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Gallardo would be the youngest player in the Major Leagues if they called him up right now, by six months over Phil Hughes. Lincecum pitched really well last night, but he's almost two years older than Gallardo. I wouldn't mind letting him pitch most of this season in the minors before bringing him up.

Don't look now but Cain has raised his average over 100 point in the last month, he's hitting again.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Thatcher and Balfour intrigue me, as does Yo, for pen replacements on the big club in the second half.

It's bothersome to me that we have 4 guys who essentially can only pitch one inning, and one of those guys isn't able to pitch back to back.

- Plato

- Plato

I'm not sure how you think thats different from most pens. They have two set up guys, a closer and one loogy. Villeneauva gives them more flexibility than most. The problem is you can never trust Spurling to give you a full inning without having to be pulled.

You don't need the best players End, just the best team. I don't see anything wrong with trying to improve the worst 2 spots in the pen, just like trying to get best the possible bench for position players.

- Plato

- Plato

Archived