Brewer Fanatic

Link Report Thur. 5/17 - Yo Shines, Capellan Now In Rotation

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Thursday's Daily Menu:

All times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Nashville: RHP Yo Gallardo at home vs. Albuquerque (Marlins), 6:45 PM pre-game; 7:00 gametime

Audio link:

www.nashvillesounds.com/listenlive/

Huntsville: Idle

Brevard County: TBD at home vs. St. Lucie (Mets), 5:50 PM pre-game, 6:00 gametime; it'll probably be LHP David Welch, who made his first start in this spot in the rotation last time out...

Audio link (game will also archive at this link):

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../audio.jsp

West Virginia: RHP Alex Periard at Asheville (Rockies), 5:55 PM pre-game, 6:05 gametime

Audio link (game will also archive at this link):

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../audio.jsp

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Follow Thursday's action as it happens:

Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Window". Open the Nashville Gameday. For the others, choose "Log". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often.

Nashville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_nasaaa_1

Brevard County:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_breafa_1

West Virginia:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_ashafx_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

These links will be included in each daily report when the Nashville Sounds and/or Huntsville Stars are scheduled to play. Normally they are updated an hour or two prior to gametime, with Nashville's usually earlier:

Nashville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

www.nashvillesounds.com/pdf/notes.pdf

Brewer Fanatic Staff
At post time, Vero Beach had defeated Palm Beach in the FSL in the first game of a doubleheader, which is reflected in these standings:
 Pacific Coast League (AAA) - PCL American North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Iowa 22 17 .564 - 14-6 8-11 W1 Nashville 20 19 .513 2.0 10-5 10-14 W2 Memphis 19 21 .475 3.5 13-7 6-14 L1 Omaha 18 21 .462 4.0 15-9 3-12 W1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Southern League (AA) - SOU North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tennessee 20 18 .526 - 8-10 12-8 W2 Huntsville 19 19 .500 1.0 9-11 10-8 L2 Chattanooga 18 22 .450 3.0 10-10 8-12 L2 West Tenn 18 22 .450 3.0 10-10 8-12 W1 Carolina 16 24 .400 5.0 9-11 7-13 W2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Florida State League (A+) - FSL East Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brevard County 23 16 .590 - 12-6 11-10 W1 Palm Beach 21 18 .538 2.0 10-12 11-6 L1 Daytona 20 18 .526 2.5 12-6 8-12 L3 Vero Beach 20 19 .513 3.0 14-7 6-12 W4 Jupiter 16 23 .410 7.0 6-11 10-12 L1 St. Lucie 16 23 .410 7.0 8-13 8-10 W1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- South Atlantic League (A) - SAL Northern Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- West Virginia 25 11 .694 - 13-7 12-4 W1 Greensboro 25 14 .641 1.5 13-5 12-9 L1 Lake County 19 18 .514 6.5 11-9 8-9 W1 Lakewood 18 18 .500 7.0 7-11 11-7 L1 Lexington 17 23 .425 10.0 8-13 9-10 L1 Hickory 15 21 .417 10.0 6-9 9-12 L2 Delmarva 15 22 .405 10.5 6-9 9-13 W1 Hagerstown 15 23 .395 11.0 10-12 5-11 L1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

www.tennessean.com/apps/p...328/SPORTS

Sounds glad to be home

Are 10-5 at Greer Stadium, 10-14 on the road

By CHRIS GRAHAM

Tennessean Staff Writer

Playing at home might just be what the doctor ordered for the streaky Nashville Sounds. After losing six of eight games on the road, the Sounds open up an eight-game homestand today, taking on the Albuquerque Isotopes at 7 p.m. at Greer Stadium.

Manager Frank Kremblas is disappointed with his team's quality of play this season, but remains optimistic.

"We just haven't played with the intensity that I've seen in the past," Kremblas said.

The Sounds have had three streaks of three losses or more. A counterbalance has been four- and seven-game winning streaks. The Sounds have won their last two games, but that comes on the heels of a six-game losing streak.

Their return home should helps the Sounds: they are 10-5 this season at Greer Stadium, compared to a 10-14 mark on the road.

Nashville's scheduled starter for tonight's opener is Yovani Gallardo (4-1, 2.53 ERA), who currently leads the Pacific Coast League with 55 strikeouts.

I saw Yo!'s ERA and thought to myself "that isn't right", then I remembered I didn't keep up anything last week when I was in Vegas. It's so wrong that I'm disappointed his ERA "ballooned" to 2.53, I've set my bar way too high for him.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

RHP Jesse Harper your Manatee starter tonight, not LHP David Welch.

Harper has his supporters on this board, but the former Blue Jay and Brewer 40-man roster member is now 26, continuing his way back from serious arm surgery, and it'd be more interesting to see the lefty Welch in the starting rotation. The Aussie will be 24 in a couple of weeks.

Yo!'s line is pretty good thus far.

4IP 0H 0R 2BB 7SO

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I know the no-sayers will say what's the rush but Yo needs to get the call. He's dominating AAA. Lincecum is dominating Houston tonight. Ya he's down 1-0 but look at the K's. That could be Yo. There is no doubt in my mind that he is ready for the majors. It's Yo time.

Well, Welch certainly stated his case that he should have been the starter tonight.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is ready for the majors. It's Yo time.

The majors aren't ready for Yo, though. What role is he going to be put into? I think if they wait it out a little longer (until Vargas totally turns back into a pumpkin), there'll be a spot for him, and it will save the Brewers some major cash in the future.

I guess I don't know what the rush is right now.

The BC game is pretty crazy, lots of hits and runs.

- Plato

- Plato

WV not so good today.

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

A fine evening listening to Yo's performance -- two walks in the first were his only two of the night:

101 pitches, one hit, no runs, two BB's, one HBP, 11 K's

Perhaps most impressive as his night wrapped up in the 6th, he allowed a one-out triple for his only hit allowed, then struck out Chad Hermanson and then got a groundout to maintain a 1-0 Sounds lead.

We will see Yo is September for sure. However, the only way he is coming up before then is if there is an injury, and I am not so sure that he would be up then. I think Villy has an edge because he has Major League experience and has been pitching well. There is no need for Yo up here yet

How many times has Yo been traded for magic beans in another forum?

He'll be up later this year, in the bullpen if no one falters.

I could see a possibility of Carlos and Yo being 2 of our top 3 relievers in September.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Nashville 3, Albuquerque (Marlins) 0

Nashville Site Game Summary:

Link for Yovani Gallardo photo, text follows --

www.nashvillesounds.com/n...ewsId=2323

Gallardo Fans 11 In Sounds' 3-0 Win Over 'Topes

NASHVILLE ? Yovani Gallardo continued his mastery of the Pacific Coast League on Thursday evening at Greer Stadium, striking out 11 batters while allowing one hit over six scoreless innings to lead the Nashville Sounds to a 3-0 shutout victory over the Albuquerque Isotopes in the opener of a four-game series.

Gallardo (5-1), who has gone 5-0 with a 1.65 ERA over his last seven starts (8 ER / 43.2 IP), took over the minor-league strikeout lead with 66 K?s on the season.

The 21-year-old top prospect of the Milwaukee Brewers opened the game with 5 1/3 hitless frames before Eric Reed tripled off the right field wall to account for the only knock the right-hander surrendered on the evening.

Grant Balfour (2.0 innings) and Luther Hackman, who worked a 1-2-3 ninth with a pair of strikeouts to earn his fourth save, followed Gallardo on the hill to complete Nashville?s second shutout of the year.

The three Sounds hurlers combined for 16 strikeouts, matching the club?s best effort this season (also April 14 at New Orleans).

Joe Dillon (2-for-4) put the Sounds on the board in the bottom of the fourth inning when he led off the frame with a solo homer to left off Albuquerque starter Chris George. The blast, his first of the year, came against the club for which Dillon starred in 2004 & 2005.

Nashville added a pair of insurance runs in the bottom of the eighth against Albuquerque reliever Ross Wolf to push the lead to 3-0. Pinch-hitter Andy Abad ripped a one-out RBI single up the middle to plate the first run then scored the inning?s second run in unearned fashion later in the frame when Isotopes shortstop Robert Andino made a throwing error on an Ozzie Chavez grounder.

George (2-3) took a hard-luck loss for the Isotopes while also turning in a solid start on the evening. He allowed one run on five hits while striking out seven batters over seven innings of work.

Dillon and Laynce Nix each extended their hitting streaks to a season-high six games for the Sounds, while Callix Crabbe (0-for-3) had his season-best six-gamer halted.

The teams continue the series with another 7 p.m. meeting on Friday evening at Greer Stadium. Left-hander Zach Jackson (5-2, 4.04) will make the start for the Sounds and face Isotopes right-hander Jeff Fulchino (2-0, 5.86).

It will be the Sounds? first Purity Faith Night of the 2007 season. Local Christian recording artist Nate Sallie will play a pre-game concert near the main gate one hour prior to game time. A spectacular fireworks show will follow the on-field action, courtesy of Your Select Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealers.

Nashville Box Score:

Nashville Game Log:

With Yo's 11 strikeouts today, I believe that he now leads all of minor league baseball in k's with 66. Before today's action, I believe Will Inman was tied for the overall lead with 58 k's (along with Gio Gonzalez, Brett Anderson, and Chris Cody).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Brevard County 8, St. Lucie (Mets) 7

Walk-off single for Cole Gillespie, scoring Mat Gamel...

Brevard County Bottom 9th

- Mat Gamel walks.

- With Cole Gillespie batting, Mat Gamel steals (7) 2nd base.

- Defensive Substitution: Jonathan Malo replaces shortstop Jose Castro, batting 2nd, playing shortstop.

- Cole Gillespie singles on a fly ball to center fielder Dustin Martin. Mat Gamel scores.

Brevard County Box Score:

16 hits for the 'Tees, with the first two men in the order, Alcides Escobar and Lorenzo Cain with four apiece; Cain all the way back up to .268 after a slow start; Escobar a HR short of the cycle, nice to see those extra-base hits; Mike Bell three singles; Mat Gamel on base three times; remember what we wrote earlier about Jesse Harper / David Welch, check out the lines...

web.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_breafa_1

Brevard County Game Log:

First baseman Chris Errecart struck out swinging in the 5th, and then was removed for J.R. Hopf in the 6th, hopefully he didn't injure himself -- perhaps audio will provide a clue, but no archive yet; exciting game, it's a shame the media coverage is so weak in the FSL...

web.minorleaguebaseball.c...p;sid=t503

Archived