Brewer Fanatic

Brewer fever spreading

radman12484

I went to the Brewers/Reds game on Saturday night. Stayed the whole Saturday there and plenty of Brewers fans from Wisconsin and from other states were there. I don't know if you could hear it on tv but there was about 1,000 people chanting "Lets Go Brewers" It gave me goosebumps. I just thought I would share my Reds/Brewers experience from this weekend with you. Plenty of high fives after the game, plus about 100 fans waiting around the dugout afterwards celebrating.

Also, does anyone have the game I can watch. Apparently me and my relatives were on tv after Prince's homer.

One Stop Shop For Cell Phone Accessories. Like US On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/MR-Wireless/233579846693356

On a similar but unrelated note, I was at the UNLV-UW game in Vegas last night. No exaggeration at all - about 9 out of every 10 fans there were wearing Badger gear. "Let's go Badgers" was deafening. I saw 2 guys I went to high school with. They were sitting in the section I was in. Small world.

Yeah, bullox it was definitely noticeable on T.V. that it was a majority of Badger fans in that stadium. I didn't realize why there would be so many fans at that game, but then it began to make sense because I don't think many people have an excuse to travel to Las Vegas, and the Badgers gave them one there. It must have been pretty sweet.

I have a buddy of mine that gave me grief today about not driving the 2 hours up to Vegas to see the game last night. I countered that I've done it before, but mostly it was because I figured tickets would be fairly scarce due to all the people traveling to Vegas to see the game.

I did tell him that getting tickets via walk-up for a UNLV-Wyoming game (what he's done in the past) is a heck of a lot easier than walking-up for tickets to a UNLV-Wisconsin game.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I was at the Monday night game in AZ with the family and some friends who live down there and we stood outside the US Airlines arena waiting for them to show up and no joke 8 of 10 groups that walked by were wearing Crew gear. Normal attendance we were told is around 15-17k on a Monday during summer, that night it was almost 28K. That's a big influance of Brewer fans!

I just got back from the series. We went to the saturday and sunday games. I was amazed at how many people were wearing crew gear while we were walking around the city. It was incredible. Cincinnati is a weird city. The place is practically a ghost town on the weekends. The only people walking around were Brewers fans for the most part. Some interesting things that happened: When we were walking to the game Saturday we saw Matt Wise walk out of a convenience store about 5 blocks away from the stadium with about 5 tins of chew. We followed him to the stadium but he was on the phone the whole time so i didnt say anything to him. (I was wondering if he was only on the phone so he wouldn't have to talk to us) Then we were walking around the stadium a while before the game and we saw Brian Shouse walk in. I wished him luck and he waved back and smiled. Overall, I found the Reds fans at the stadium and around the city to be very polite and friendly. Everyone I talked to seemed to be supportive of the Brewers in their pennant race and anti-scrubs. Small markets unite i suppose. If anyone is thinking of taking a road trip to Cincinnati to see the Crew play, I would higly recommend it.

I have no 'road trip' tales, but I am noticing more people around the Madison campus wearing Brewers swag. Of course, the campus population just tripled again as classes began last week, but still.

In my library one morning last week I could hear one side of a cell phone conversation in the hallway that mentioned the Brewers-Cubs tie for first place. It just feels like more of a buzz. It's exciting and I hope the Brewers continue to justify said buzz.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I was just at the UW-Oshkosh campus last week for some meetings, and it seemed like almost 1 in 4 students was wearing some kind of Brewers apparell. I don't know if that's normal or not, but it was pretty cool. I am sure some of it might be more fasion-related than baseball-related, but still it was cool.

Very nice.

Didn't expect that many Brewers fans in Cinci considering school is starting and summer vacation trips would be over, so I am pleasantly surprised to hear about the fan presence this weekend. Expect similar things in Atlanta, for sure.

I live down here in Atlanta and plan on taking my 11-month old daughter to her first game on the Sunday of that series.

I visited Cincinnati two years ago (my buddy attended Xavier) and people are right... Cincinnati people are very friendly. I just happened to be down there around their downtown Oktoberfest festivities. They literally block off all the downtown roadways and have a really huge block party for an entire weekend with bands, food and beer. My friend told me everyone hated "Cincinnat's finest" for some reason, but other than that it seemed like a good town with continuing redevelopment. But the area around GABP could have used improvement when I was visiting and the hockey arena nearby looked about as bad as the Mecca in Milwaukee.

Even then when I went there, everyone seemed to respect me when I proudly wore a Brewer shirt and some even said they want to check out Miller Park. Another thing to keep in mind, one of the reasons why there may be some fans in Cincy is that maybe about a hundred or so people who attend Xavier are from Wisconsin for some reason.

Also, does anyone have the game I can watch. Apparently me and my relatives were on tv after Prince's homer.

Wife: "Hey, that looks like radman on TV!"

Me: "Nah, he wouldn't be out there."

I didn't look up in time to see yah, buddy. My wife has a habit confusing people, and usually not even close.

I was just at the UW-Oshkosh campus last week for some meetings, and it seemed like almost 1 in 4 students was wearing some kind of Brewers apparell. I don't know if that's normal or not, but it was pretty cool. I am sure some of it might be more fasion-related than baseball-related, but still it was cool.

I know what you mean about being skeptical of the "fashion statement" Brewers gear. It's impossible to tell - plus, since people like us have been avid supporters of the team through both thick and thin, it's easy to categorize nearly every new Brewer hat as "fairweather." I've seen waaaaaay more Brewer hats than I'd ever expected since moving to Portland, and I have the same hang-up as you do idn doubting their 'credibility.' I saw a blue-with gold front-ball & glove logo cap today at the farmer's market, but I didn't say anything due to said concern.

To be fair, the first Brewer hat I ever saw here, I yelled across the quad (also coincidentally at the farmer's market - held on Portland State's campus), "GO BREWERS!", and actually the guy grinned big and yelled back. So who knows - the one drawback of how freakin' awesome the 'B & G' logo is! (And I wore a UW basketball shirt that day, and had a stranger approach me just to say, "Are you a Badger? Go Badgers!")

And hawing - I have the same/similar fears with the prevalence of the B&G logo around campus in Madison. I'll tell you what - it wasn't nearly as prevalent a couple years ago, when the B&G was first readily & widely available again, so I think a lot (most? http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/frown.gif) of it is bandwagoneers. Even with a spike recently, I'm sorry to say Red Sox caps still probably give Crew hats/gear a run for the money. As a side rant, what the heck makes the BoSux the 'acceptable-we-won't-whine-about-big-market-capacity' team? This enrages me, and I couldn't even begin to count the number of dumb arguments I got into while in Madison & wearing my Yankee cap.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Right now, I don't know that I care whether it's bandwagoners or diehard fans wearing the swag. Anyone wearing, say, a Brewers cap isn't wearing a cubs cap (to use a timely example), and that is good enough for me. Heck, it's good news, relatively speaking, to see any MLB swag during a month where most of the local media is trying to smother us with football. (Not that I want to take a baseball vs. football tangent here.)

Whenever I see someone with a jersey tee, I always look to see which name is on the back. It's usually Fielder or Hardy, but even in Madison I see a variety of names. And man, have those shirts proliferated this year. The Walk-off Wednesdays promotion was one smart move.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I went to a Brewers - Giants game in SF last year and believe it or not ran into Mark Attanasio and his family on the concourse. I went up to him and introduced myself, and we talked for about 5 minutes. He was thrilled to see a Brewers fan out there, especially one not from Milwaukee (I live in North Carolina). He did chide me however, for not wearing any Brewers gear. I may take a trip down to Atlanta on the 22nd to see the game out there that day, and will make sure I have my BP cap on (the one with the Wisconsin logo).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

From the game story on MLB.com (9/8)

The Brewers were bolstered by the noisy group of fans who owned a section near the visitor's dugout. One fan had shaved a Brewers logo into his chest hair.

"Yeah, I took a picture with that guy before the game," Turnbow said. "That's hilarious. We love it.

"The Milwaukee fans have been great. There have been a lot of them here the last two days, and that definitely helps us out."

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

On a similar but unrelated note, I was at the UNLV-UW game in Vegas last night. No exaggeration at all - about 9 out of every 10 fans there were wearing Badger gear.

They were saying on the telecast that UNLV has had in its history 4 FB sellouts -- all with the Badgers.

They also said some Badger fans bought season tickets to ensure they had seats

As a kid, I'm probably one of those that you would think is a bandwagon jumper because I like to wear my Brewers shirts when they do well, especially when I live in the central northern border of Wisconsin and Illinois. The people that know me however, know that I am a diehard and have been a supporter even through their worst times. It's funny some of the comments I get from Cubs fans that are teachers about whether or not I'm an actual fan or not.

I've definitely seen a lot more Brewers shirts at school though, amongst the students.

Community Moderator

It's great to see the fan support on the road. Back around 1999 or 2000, we took a trip down to Cinergy Field (when the outfield part was already torn down) to see the Brewers. There were probably only about 10 Brewers fans out of 35,000. The turnout in Minnesota was great as well, and I'm sure it contributed to the Brewers winning the Reds and the Twins road series, despite their terrible road record.

I can't wait to see the atmosphere at the games at MP this weekend. Just got my tickets for September 29th and section 404 was the best that was left for the terrace.

That was great to see those Brewer fans out in force in Cincinnati...way to carry the torch!!! I've been seeing a lot more Brewer interest this year right from the start. I was out at the Brewer/Dodger game this year and saw more Brewer fans than I have ever seen at Dodger Stadium by a long shot...and it wasn't just the owner's contingent. I was also at the Badger/UNLV game. It wasn't surprising to see the huge number of Badger fans...it was to see some of them wearing Brewer caps!!! There were more than a few Brewer jerseys in the sports book on Friday and Saturday. All aboard!!!

Archived