Brewer Fanatic

Let's Give Rickie Weeks some Props (merged with SoCal Brew Crew Fan's props thread)

TuesdaysWithRillo

You guys were so down on Rickie Weeks this year, but we all knew he'd snap out of it. Weeks is seeing the ball well and if we get to the playoffs, he will have to keep playing like he is now. I think the wrist thing looks like it's over and the way he is drawing walks, I love him in the leadoff spot. Here's to a great last 20 some games from Weeks and a great career with the Crew!

(added tag --1992)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys were so down on Rickie Weeks this year, but we all knew he'd snap out of it.

Who the heck is "you guys," and who the heck is "we all?"

Honestly, are you just trying to pick an argument? I don't get the comment. I have supported Weeks, although it's been in the 'I hope he can up his BA to roughly .245' vein. I am loyal to Rickie, but he's done nothing to suggest that he's the be-all and end-all to our woes this year. I honestly don't mean any offense here; I'm just very confused as to what you mean.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Too bad he still can't field worth a lick (see Dave Bush's start the other day)

Hopefully that improves next year.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

People are down on Weeks because he has played poorly most of the season and had to be benched multiple times because of his wrist. Nothing wrong with that. While he had a few great games when he first got back his OPS is sitting at .614 for september so I'm still dubious about him really being 'back'.

While he had a few great games when he first got back his OPS is sitting at .614 for september so I'm still dubious about him really being 'back'.
Agreed.

He has been adequate at the leadoff spot - but nothing earth shattering. He still isn't hitting the ball very well. Seems like every at bat for him is a K or a BB.

But at least he is getting on base somehow. Having him lead off and Hart moved down in the order really helps.

People are down on Weeks because he has played poorly most of the season and had to be benched multiple times because of his wrist. Nothing wrong with that. While he had a few great games when he first got back his OPS is sitting at .614 for september so I'm still dubious about him really being 'back'.

Small sample size taketh away and small sample size giveth back. As of now, Weeks' September OPS stands at .751, which is also his season OPS, which is pretty darn good for a 2b who's having about the worst year he could possibly have. Maybe more importantly -- given that he's a leadoff man -- he had a .500 OBP in August and a .433 in September. I can't see how you can chalk up over a month's worth of numbers like that to "a few great games."

I agree with you that Weeks' midseason dive warranted benching him and then sending him down, but we should give credit where credit is due. Weeks isn't all the way back with the bat, and he's definitely in a fielding slump, but he's doing his job very well. His work in the leadoff spot -- which lately includes drawing a ton of walks -- is a big reason for the Brewers' recent resurgence.

Greg.

Since coming back, in a miniscule 100 PA's, his line has been .297/.480/.459. So he has hit the ball, too. I'm not saying he's "back", or that he was ever even "there". I don't think the Nashville excursion is what caused him to improve, he was just bound to regress to the mean, he's not a .100 hitter or something. He has been better than adequate at the leadoff spot, the combination of he and Gross at the top of the order has been what has sparked this run, in my opinion. It's a shame it took Yost so long to realize that they would score more runs with those guys up there.

And yeah, he's one of the worst defensive second basemen in the league, that's why I'm always kind of puzzled when he is seen as what Braun should try to become. I hope Braun can develop into better than a bottom five defender at his position.

I think everyone had a right to be down on Weeks before. He was having an awful year. He didn't have a clue as to what he should do when he went up to to hit-his approach was awful. That being said, now he's starting to come back to what he was suppose to be doing. He's getting on base consistently and his at-bats are looking much better. You can blame his wrist all you want for him not hitting, but his mental game was killing him. Now he's finally figured the mental part as well as his wrist being healthy. That's why he's playing better.

He took his demotion like a man and came back pretty strong (witness Sunday's game in Cincy). His bat could really make a difference down the stretch. Now if only he could figure out the whole defense thing . . . .

He figured that out long ago, defense is what players who can't hit do.

Let's just see if Weeks keeps this up. He's been more bad than good this year. I hope he gets it together this year, but honestly I'm not looking at Weeks as a cornerstone for this franchise or a must keep until he actually puts a season together. I think his high draft pick status leads to the added expectations, but I for one am still disappointed (I know his on base is great, but I want a heck of a lot more from this high of a pick than a great on base number).

Maybe the scar tissue is gone or getting better? Or it's just another Weeks teasing going on...either way if he steps up it helps the Crew.

According to the company line, his wrist is fine, but he fell into bad habits when it was bothering him a few months ago, starting his swing early, doing stuff so it did not hurt, and so on. When he is taking breaking balls in the dirt and fastballs at the letters, much like Braun, he is a monster at the plate.

The real bottom line in all this is that the Crew need Rickie badly if they somehow eeek into the playoffs. He's the only guy, with the only skill set on the team to generate a run small ball style. Somewhere down the line it's gonna be mega-important, so he really needs to be hitting his stride in a difficult season right now. Good luck RW!

I'm really glad to see Weeks doing well now, but I think it's a reach to blame his struggles on his wrist and now say that it has healed. How does his wrist heal while playing everyday?

His wrist injury wasn't the type of injury that he could worsen by playing, or that would have the healing process slowed down by playing. It was just an injury that required him to play through a great deal of pain. I would definitely say the wrist pain was hampering him, and preventing him from taking the ball to the opposite field. I think he is closer to 90-95% now, and I believe that a fully healthy Weeks next year will be a vital part of this offense.

Archived