Brewer Fanatic

Simulating the NL Central Race

rluzinski
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our odds for making the playoffs as a WC can't be much more than 1 or 2%. Even if SD loses another game tonight, we're 4 games behind SD and Philly, with Atlanta (grr) and Colorado in between.

Don't mess with the fantasy.

Here's a positive to ponder. The Padres play on west coast Wednesday night, then will board a plane likely around 1-2 am Milwaukee time and won't get to their hotel until 5-6 am then have to play Thursday night. Now sometimes it's amazing how these athletes can recover, but this team has been playing pressure games every night and physically, the Brewers should have a huge advantage.

The Cubs also have to travel Thursday night to play in Cincy on Friday.

The mood here in Chicago has changed slightly after last night. There is now some apprehension. If the Brewers get it to one game, I'd expect some panic to show itself.

Still no real pressure on the Brewers, and I would say the pressure on the Cubs ratcheted up slightly after last night. Another good day today and pressure shifts squarely to the Cubs. The odds remain very, very long, but I'd love to see what happens if we can continue to close the gap over the next couple days.

The mood here in Chicago has changed slightly after last night. There is now some apprehension. If the Brewers get it to one game, I'd expect some panic to show itself.
And let's not forget. These are still the Cubs. So, we've got that going for us... which is nice.

Brewers win outright: 5%
Brewers tie: 12%

Here are the final record probabilities:

Wins Total At Least
81 2.1% 100.0%
82 12.3% 97.9%
83 28.9% 85.6%
84 33.3% 56.7%
85 19.0% 23.4%
86 4.4% 4.4%
100.0%

If the Brewers win and Cubs lose tonight...

Brewers win outright: 13%
Brewers tie: 21%

Not sure I like that - the law of averages would seem tomake that a bad thing.

The law of averages is a fallacy. It's something a gamber made up to justifty losing more money. It doesn't matter that the Marlins have won x amount of games in a row against the Cubs, either way.

Psychologically, the Brewers' playoff hopes took a big hit last night, but according to Baseball Prospectus' Playoff Odds, last night only reduced the Brewers odds by 4 percent (14% to 10%). It was a long shot before last night, and it's still a long shot.

Brewers take 3 of 4 from the Padres....Cubs lose 3 of 4 to Reds/Marlins, and we've got ourselves a playoff!

Russ -- I'm not knocking your numbers, just double-checking. You usually don't take into account pitching matchups and some other factors in your numbers. I assume you haven't done that here, either -- right? It's conceivable you could have, considering the few games left and the fact that there's only two teams involved. But, probably not.

Also... did you adjust the numbers any for the fact that the Cubs are the Cubs?http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif Something's got to work in our favor. I'm looking for anything.

With three games to go:

By my calculations (assuming both the Cubs and Brewers have a 50/50 chance to win their remaining individual games), the Brewers have a 1/64th (1.6%) chance of passing the Cubs by season-end. The Brewers have a 6/64ths or or 3/32nds (9.4%) chance of tying the Cubs by season-end.

There is a 67.7% chance of a tie for the Wild Card spot, with a 12.7% chance of a three-way tie and a 6.5%

chance of a four-way tie.

32.3% chance of a tie. NL East

26.1% chance of a tie. NL West

I know this is off-topic a bit -- but what a race! -- I don't remember SO MANY teams having such a "meaningful" September (as we like to say around here).

It seems likely that we will enjoy a few bonus "playoff" games.

Archived