Brewer Fanatic

Sarfate -- Latest: Traded to Houston for cash (merged with FTJ's MLB forum thread)

JJHardy7
Meaning, he was kept on the 40 man while others were traded away, outrighted, etc for proving more in less time. Short of a spring training spot next year, they gave him as much time as they could. Like I said before, he shouldn't have been in the position he was b/c he should have not been added to the 40 man for another year. I hope he puts it together at some point, he just hasn't done so.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to make assumptions about Mr. Sarfate in particular, but if what we see on a message board is a bit much, who knows what is going on at home.

Was he ever a problem, though? I'm not on the minor league forum enough, so I may have missed a major episode, but I don't remember him being like Hendrickson's dad.

I wish Dennis well in the future and hope he can put it together wherever he goes.

My point though was I believe there is a real connection between how you are raised and how you succeed down the road. When your parents, relatives, etc put their feelings completely on the line on a message board it really raises into question a lot of things. A lot of us have played organized sports over the years with guys that made it pro. When you get on these elite teams some parents don't seem to realize most of these kids were the stars on their previous team. Ya even the 5th outfiedler was the best player on his team before this one. Instead of encouraging them to work to get better some parents blame all their kids problems or lack of playing time on the coach or the organization. The kids with the parents blaming others never seemed to make it all the way in my experience. No matter how much talent you have you still need coaching to polish this talent. If you don't listen you never refine the raw skills.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember Dennis's Dad ripping the Brewers and the Huntsville organization in the past pretty harshly on this message board. Why someone would do that only they know. Think it ok but post your thoughts for everyone to read kind of silly. We all know what Hendrickson's dad had to say. Raw talent will only take you so far. Genetics have a role as well.

I think it's going way too far to infer some kind of genetic deficiency from the fact that a player's dad vented on a message board. That's a huge and significant leap from very little knowledge. Our parents' quirks have all kinds of consequences for our behavior. Maybe a circumspect dad doesn't instill competitive fire in his kid. Maybe a sloppy drunk parent intensifies a kid's determination to succeed. Even if we can sort out those effects, it's another huge step to chalk them up to genetics, as opposed to environmental influence. Then there's the question whether a person's message board demeanor even amounts to a meaningful quirk, let alone evidence of a substantial personality flaw.

I remember taking issue with Sarfate's dad at least once when he ripped on posters here. For the most part, though, I recall his posts as informative and reasonable. Yeah, he got mad at the organization for what he saw as his son's slow progress through the system, and objectively I don't think he was correct, but his position wasn't crazy. Other teams might have gotten more excited about some of the numbers Dennis put up early in his career, although -- as Al points out -- time would have proven them wrong as it proved the Brewers right.

Greg.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
And I believe it was his step dad so there's no genetic link at all.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Went to the game last night and guess who was there in street clothes? Dennis Sarfate. He talked a lot and seemed to be in a good mood with all the guys. He said a lot of personal stuff which I don't think really belongs here (it was all positive in relation to his experience, etc). He's hearing whispers that a deal could possibly done Monday and he's not exactly sure where, but he's thinking it might be with Kansas City. He knows this...he's getting on a plane on Monday to his new team, but he doesn't know where it will be. I hope this really works out and Sarfate is a great guy and I think he's going to really miss the Brewers organization. Let's hope he's in the big next week!

He was always ranting and raving..."my kid throws 98 mph...he should be in the big leagues, etc" like that sould be the sole reason to put someone in the big leagues. Lots of guys can throw hard but it you can't locate the ball it doesn't matter. I haven't seen a post from him this season though. He should be happy that his son was in this organization, and was given several shots to make it. As I'm sure he will soon learn, other orgs aren't so patient!

HOUSTON (AP) -- The Astros acquired pitcher Dennis Sarfate from the Milwaukee Brewers on Tuesday for cash.

The 26-year-old right-hander was 2-7 with four saves and a 4.52 ERA in 45 games, including one start, for Triple-A Nashville this year. He appeared in eight games for the Brewers in 2006, striking out 11 hitters in 8 1-3 innings. He posted no decisions and had a 4.32 ERA.

Sarfate was expected to join the Astros on Wednesday. To make room for Sarfate on the 40-man roster, the club designated right-hander Miguel Asencio for assignment.

Asencio, 26, was 1-3 with a 7.43 ERA in 28 games for Triple-A Round Rock this season. He also appeared in 10 games, starting nine, for Double-A Corpus Christi, finishing 1-3 with a 4.70 ERA.

(added tags --1992)

We have actually lost several P's due to lack of options and such this year; Capellan, Dessens, Balfour, and now Sarfate. While none have the ceiling of a Yo or Carlos, every one of them might well be effective middle men for 3-5 years.

Roster management is not nearly as easy when you have both the present and the future to concern yourself with.

Capellan had an option this year. That's why they could send him down at the end of spring training.

But dadofandrew, you're right, we've lost several. Let's not forget the Linebrink trade, which cost 3 more. Incidentally, I firmly believe it'll be a good couple years before we can begin to judge the quality of that deal in its totality. However, I wish Mr. Linebrink would be a bit more consistent (or consistently good).

We can always get good quality pitchers via the trade or free agency. What we need to do is continue breeding amazing position players! Dessens and Ball-Four are definitely not needed, nor is Capellan's attitude....In Doug I trust!! http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/pimp.gif

Let's not forget the Linebrink trade, which cost 3 more. Incidentally, I firmly believe it'll be a good couple years before we can begin to judge the quality of that deal in its totality. However, I wish Mr. Linebrink would be a bit more consistent (or consistently good).

I agree -- It is interesting -- Bud Black is getting a lot of credit for phasing Linebrink out of his pen, and working in Heath Bell.

Dessens and Ball-Four are definitely not needed,

I'd much rather have Balfour than McClung

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/5130929.html

Hard-throwing righthander Dennis Sarfate, acquired in exchange for cash from the Milwaukee Brewers on Tuesday, joined the team Wednesday. A ninth-round pick of the Brewers in 2001, he has spent his entire seven-year career with the Brewers, including eight games in the majors last year.

"I'm happy to have a fresh start," Sarfate said. "I've been with the Brewers for seven years and to come over to a class act like these guys are, I'm happy for a new experience."

Sarfate, who has struck out 614 batters in 636 innings in the minors, gives the Astros a power arm in the bullpen. His fastball was sitting between 94 and 98 mph at the end of this season at Class AAA Nashville.

"I'd like to see the walks go down, but I've always been a guy that strikes people out," he said.

Let's not get into the Balfour and McClung thing. You can't completely disagree with the trade due to the fact that McClung is younger and throw harder. They both have positives and negatives. Yost may have not used Balfour the best, but hopefuly they'll both succeed where they are now.

Archived