Brewer Fanatic

Sarfate -- Latest: Traded to Houston for cash (merged with FTJ's MLB forum thread)

JJHardy7
Is it true he's been designated for assignment? I know there have been a few Dennis guys around here and this is kind of sad in my opinion. I know I've had high hopes and continue to (even though he hasn't come through yet). Are the chances good he's back with the Crew/org? I'll be at the playoff game this Saturday and I hope I get a chance to see him pitch again.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think he'll be traded.

Could he remain with the Sounds? I think because the Brewers have never done so, he could be out-righted off the 40-man roster, sort of like what happened to Brad Nelson a few years ago and remain Brewers property. But I don't see that happening.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I think with Sarfate you have the "father" factor. Much like Hendrickson and others from the recent past. These guys never make it and you have to wonder about their mental makeup. Instead of encouraging their kids to do their best and learn from the coaches their dads tend to blast the organization, manager, etc through Brewerfan. If the kids grew up with this type of attitude at home (It's not my kids fault it's someone elses) it's not really that surprising that they never make it even though many and most of them have the raw tools that are necessary. I mean what kind of a father blows off steam by posting negatives about an organization that their kid plays for on the fan message board. The answer is not a very smart one.

This is my understanding. The Brewers have 10 days to either trade, release, or outright him to the minors. There is little point in outrighting him to the minors since I believe he is a six year minor league free agent. According to Cot's,

A player becomes eligible to sign with any organization as a minor league free agent when he has played six full minor-league seasons with the club that drafted him.
So does this mean that if he is traded to another team, he is not going to be a free agent? Seems kind of odd, but I can't explain why a team would be interested in trading for him is he is going to be a free agent. If anyone has any better understanding on this, please chime in. This is awfully confusing.

So does this mean that if he is traded to another team, he is not going to be a free agent? Seems kind of odd, but I can't explain why a team would be interested in trading for him is he is going to be a free agent.

I believe nothing changes. You have to think about what they'd be giving up for him - probably next to zero considering his DFA status. If it's a team with a garbage bullpen, they could pay a small price for him with the plan to audition him for the rest of the season and during spring training. If he sticks, he sticks. If not, you gave up a guy who you'd also cut eventually.

Well, he still has a live arm. The Brewers have seen him up close and obviously feel that his weaknesses outweight what he can do. A new org, on the other hand, is sure to think they can fix Sarfate up with a little spit and elbow grease. Can't teach velocity, or so the saying goes. I wish Dennis well even though it didn't work out here...

This could be one of those courtesy moves by Melvin. Sarfate was probably going to be off the team in April anyway. By releasing him now another team can pick him up, and there's a chance he could get his foot in the door with another organization already this September.

Instead of encouraging their kids to do their best and learn from the coaches their dads tend to blast the organization, manager, etc through Brewerfan. If the kids grew up with this type of attitude at home (It's not my kids fault it's someone elses) it's not really that surprising that they never make it even though many and most of them have the raw tools that are necessary. I mean what kind of a father blows off steam by posting negatives about an organization that their kid plays for on the fan message board. The answer is not a very smart one.

I don't want to steer this too far off topic, but I think that it is a pretty big leap to go from "venting on a fan message board" to "(teaching) it's not (your) fault it's someone else's". I certainly hope that people aren't judging my parenting skills based upon my posts and articles here on BF.net.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I think it's great when we can lose a guy like this. Think about how far our farm system has come that we can let a really good arm go and feel pretty good, or at least not worried, about losing a player. Melvin will trade him for something almost as good or maybe even better. I'd like to see a A+ level catcher or ss.

I really wish Dennis could have harnassed his control during his time in the Brewer system. Good luck to him.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

How much is Sarfate making this year? I mean if it's not too much I don't see why the Brewers wouldn't have kept him around next year. I think it would've been Sarfate wanting out with hopes of making a big league club/change of scenery type of thing.

I know he did like Nashville in his time here, but he wasn't really used all that much this year. I liked him a lot more as a starter than as a relief pitcher.

How much is Sarfate making this year? I mean if it's not too much I don't see why the Brewers wouldn't have kept him around next year. I think it would've been Sarfate wanting out with hopes of making a big league club/change of scenery type of thing.

I know he did like Nashville in his time here, but he wasn't really used all that much this year. I liked him a lot more as a starter than as a relief pitcher.

I don't really think that money played into this at all. I don't think he makes any more money than anyone else in AAA, even with his 40-man roster status. I think this was an issue where the Brewers wanted to protect someone else during the Rule 5 draft this winter, and shedding Sarfate's spot while getting something in return from another club seemed like a decent option.

Best of luck to Dennis, by the way.

I think it is a number of things with Sarfate. He should not have been added to the 40 man when he was. He was added after Beloit, which was unneccessary. If I remember correctly, that was the year Melvin and Co added a bunch of guys out of Beloit. Let's be honest here, he was not going to get rule 5ed out of low A. Personally, I think he was given MORE than enough time to prove himself, and he failed to do so. It is not enough to throw hard, and it seems that is what he relied on. His off speed stuff is mediocre at best. With Dennis, it may be his learning aptitude. Regardless, he was given much more time then most would have. It proves that with Melvin and Ash, if you are a hard worker, they will give you every chance to succeed. As far as the father factor goes, that may not be as far off as some may think. That no doubt takes a toll on a guy. I remember talking about Prince's situation with a few fans down in Huntsville in '04, and some of them that got to know the guys pretty well said that was more prevalent then we may think. Not to make assumptions about Mr. Sarfate in particular, but if what we see on a message board is a bit much, who knows what is going on at home. From what I took away from my visit in Huntsville, was that some of these guys have parents that have their hands in the pot thinking their kid is a meal ticket, while others drill into the kids head that they could never do anything other then play ball. That no doubt takes its toll on a guy. This was much the case with several prospects that year which have yet to get their careers back on track. Add in parents coming on a message board for all to see and discuss and it does nothing to help the guys.

Archived