Brewer Fanatic

The Official "Prince Fielder for Most Valuable Player" Thread

brewcrewkid14

With 2 weeks left in the regular season, and Prince Fielder leading the way for MVP (needing the make the playoffs). I think that everytime he comes up to bat at home or at least after a home run or a clutch hit we NEED to get a MVP chant going in Miller Park. We need to show Prince that the Milwaukee fans have his back.

EDIT: Just saw the other thread, feel free to move it http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/embarassed.gif

MLB.com calls Fielder, Pujols, and Rollins the favorites in the NL MVP race.

Link

I can't believe they wouldn't have Chase Utley in that race as well as Ramirez. Like someone said earlier the numbers Hanley is putting up at SS are amazing. If he didn't play in that hole of a state like Florida he would be a top guy for it.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Reyes will take votes away from Wright and rightfully so. He's the MVP of that team and that's no knock on Wright: 108 Runs scored, 76 stolen bases, and a .987 fielding percentage at SS? Besides Wright is no better than 3rd best hitter at his position behind Braun and Cabrera.

I think Holliday has to be up there too. His road splits aren't that far off: .303/.370/.497.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Prince hasn't exactly had a big 2nd half so far.
Define 'big'. He's gone .298/.403/.601 since the all star break (before today's game). His first half numbers .284/.376/.620.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Any reason why Pujols would even be considered? His season seems dissipointing.

His .319/.420/.559 line with 30 homers and 91 RBI so far shouldn't really disappoint anybody. I know it's the worst year of his career (he hasn't been even close to as low as this year's meager OPS+ of 154 since 2002), but when you're Albert Pujols, you could pull off an MVP season in the worst year of your career.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe this needs a bump up.

I read on the IGT from the Rockies/Padres game that Holliday thrust his way into the voting. I don't know if that is the case. He was up there for sure, but look at last year's voting. Albert Pujols had a great season, but the young slugger who hit 50 HRs won the vote. So voters can look past missing the playoffs and reward a really great year. And Prince had just that.

Now Jimmy Rollins may have helped his case by helping the Phillies win the division in an historic fashion. But Holliday -- sure the Rockies now made the playoffs, but the line-up has many good hitters. And BA and RBI titles are inflated by the line-up and the home field advantage. Prince carried this team in July/August when a lot of guys were slumping. And Rollins was the only constant for an injury plagued Phillies team. It should come down to those two.

Look at the splits between all of the Rockies hitters, home and away. Tulowitzki is hitting 50 points lower on the road and has an OPS of 720. Holliday is 80 point lower on the road with an OPS of 860. There is no question that both Tulo and Holliday are great hitters, but they are playing in a ballpark where flyballs turn into home runs and pop-ups turn into bloop singles. The gaps are ridiculous there, lets keep in mind that Prince had a non-error triple. If you stick Prince and Braun into that stadium the numbers would be scary. Please do not make the arguement that because we didn't make the playoffs that they shouldn't win it. That is like saying that Peavy shouldn't get the Cy Young. I am not saying that Miller Park is a pitchers park but Coors Field is an absolute joke. I will say however that if Holliday wins the MVP over Prince I will not be as upset as if Jimmy Rollins wins it.

I believe that Prince probably deserves to be the MVP. I agree that Holliday's numbers are inflated by the Home advantage and that he probably doesn't deserve the award this year. That being said, I wonder what it would take for a Rockies player to ever satisfy people that they deserve the MVP. Every time we talk about their players and the season they are having, we always have to qualify that by saying, "but they play in Coors Field." This is not a complaint but an honest question. I don't know what a Rockies player would have to do to truly earn an MVP.

That being said, even Prince's home/away splits showed a noticable difference as he had a home ops of 1.088 and an away ops of .942; and a home OBP of .421 with an away OBP of .369.

Park Factors are an interesting thing broken down.

Colorado: 1.160

Philly: 1.034

Milw: 1.011

So does that mean it's easier to hit in Philly and even more in Colorado?

How bout HR's

Colorado: 1.218

Phlly: 1.418

Milw: 1.119

So Philly is the easiest to get HR's

How about hits, 2B, 3B, BB

Colorado: 1.112, 1.256, 1.513, .943

Philly: .988, .912, .861, .918

Milwaukee: .944, 1.049, .50, 1.104

Since Milwaukee is so hard to get a triple at their park factor is so low?

Let's look at the team's numbers at home:

team: gms, 2B, 3B, HR,

Col: 82, 164, 22, 103

Phil: 81, 146, 21, 116

Mil: 81, 170, 15, 121

Total bases for 2B, 3B & HR

Col: 806

Phil: 819

Mil: 869

Because Miller Park gets a .5 rating for hitting triples compared to a 1.513 for Colorado who as a team hit 7 more triples three being in the 82nd game! 63 more TB's in one less game. With 5 doubles, 3 triples and 2 HR's last night that added 27 total bases so after game 81 Colorado had 779 total bases.

Just because Park Factor says it's easier to hit triples by more than 200% doesn't mean a team who hit 90 fewer extra bases on extra base hits has an advantage at home. With fewer HR's and fewer doubles at Coors shouldn't be swayed by 4 more triples after 81 games in triples.

Anyone who has seen Holliday hit the ball and say his ball wouldn't get out of Miller Park is drinking to much Brewer Kool-Aid.

Anyone who has seen Holliday hit the ball and say his ball wouldn't get out of Miller Park is drinking to much Brewer Kool-Aid.

How do you explain his much weaker numbers away from home?

Also, looking at year by year park factors is interesting, but it's much better to look at park factor for a 3-year or longer period because a lot of fluctuation does exist. If one looks at park factors for the past several years, one will see Colorado consistently way up there, while Miller Park has been consistently pretty neutral.

"How do you explain his much weaker numbers away from home? "

MSk you seem to know Park Factor a lot more than me so why does triples effect it so much? I understand Colorado has an advantage but the Brewers haven't the last couple of years down there so how much does the humidor have to do with it?

Let's look at the home and away numbers of our MVP players:

Holliday:

Home: .376 25 HR's 82 RBI's

Away: .301 11 HR's 55 RBI's

Prince:

Home: .301 27 HR's 71 RBI's

Away: .276, 23 HR's 48 RBI's

Since Holliday had the same BA on the road as Prince did where he was better at home we must agree that Holliday is a better hitter? Holliday had 7 more RBI's than Prince on the road and 11 more at home so that looks pretty similar. If you are strickly a HR guy you could wonder about the difference but if you are a production person Holliday's rbi total was 67% of his home HR tally while Prince's was the same 67%.

The easy way is to dis Colorado but like mentioned before you are missing out on a pretty solid season for Matt Holliday: .340, 36 HR's 137 RBI's 2/3rd of the triple crown!

I agree with Briggs...and I think it will be Rollins. Ironic that by beating SD we actually gave more credence to a Holliday for MVP and Tulo for Rookie of the Year. Those final wins could cost us those awards...but Ned said they were important so it is what it is.

The MVP is wide open. Heck, I really couldn't gripe if Holliday or Ramirez won it. I never hear any mention of Chipper, but he had a huge year again -- or a typical year for him except he stayed relatively healthy. Prince is as good as any, as well. You can also make an argument for David Wright, but I think Ramirez' argument is better.

I don't think Rollins should get it, because I don't think he was as good as Hanley - at the same position.

If Braun doesn't get the ROY there should be voting priveleges revoked. Tulowitzki is a great winner in many other years, but Ryan Braun put up Pujolsian (or at least Chipper-ian) type numbers. When you put up HOF quality numbers in your rookie year, you can't get beat by the season that Tulowitzki had.

Ramirez? As in, Aramis? The award is Holliday's to lose at this point, imho. Sportswriters always look at the HR & RBI totals, and his 'heroics' (nevermind the horrible misplay in LF that cost his team a run late in the game) last night probably sealed it up. Prince is likely the only other player with a legit shot, though Wright & Rollins will likely get some votes, too.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think if anyone beats Prince it will be Holliday because of last night. Oddly, if we had lost Sat or Sun Holliday would not have had the opportunity to be the hero.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Thought I would see how some of the players did down the stretch which is a plus for Philly, Mets, Brewers and Rockies since that was crunch time:

Player: AB, R, H, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, Bb, K, BA, obp, ops

Ramirez: 51, 10, 16, 5, 0, 1, 7, 3, 6, .314, .339, .810 which should be compared to...

Rollins: 56, 10, 16, 2, 2, 2, 6, 1, 9, .286, .298, .798 which was nothing special compared to teammate...

Howard: 40, 9, 14, 1, 0, 7, 16, 15, 14, .350, .536, 1.436 Was Howard the man for Philly down the stretch?

Wright: 57, 12, 25, 7, 0, 0, 9, 5, 4, .439, .484, 1.046 Pretty good but no way a Met gets it

Prince: 37, 9, 9, 2, 0, 4, 9, 16, 12, .243, .481, 1.103 Remember 5 runs 5 hits, 2 2B, 3 HR's, & 7 RBI's in 2 blowouts, other 12 games?

Holliday: 47, 13, 19, 3, 1, 4, 15, 8, 13, .404, .509, 1.275 13-1 and your teammates call you the man.

Ryan Howard looks like he was the force during the last two weeks and Ramirez had better finishing and total numbers than Rollins. There are a lot of choices and the way Colorado won should help the batting and RBI champ.

If Howard is hands down I would like to see a teammate beat Holliday by....
.................HR's, RBI's, BB, BA, obp, OPS, risp
Rollins: 30, 94, 49, .296, .344, 120, 43-158, .272, 7-64 (HR + RBI)
Howard: 47, 136, 107, .268, .392, 145, 48-170, .282, 18-91

17 HR's, 42 RBI's, .48 obp, 25 OPS, 10 pts in BA risp, 11 HR's 27 RBI's.

I know Rollins was the set up man and had a great year but Hanley Ramirez had better leadoff and SS numbers while Howard blew Rollins away in production while missing a portion of the year. No walk Rollins did not beat out Holliday, or Howard or Ramirez.

Archived