Brewer Fanatic

Brewers 2007 MVP (Merged: Corey Hart's Chances At Team MVP)

Menotti80

Shouse has thrown under 45 innings. Granted, they have been for the most part 44 2/3 good innings, but I can't give the most valuable pitcher "honor" to a guy who has thrown 3.6% of the team's innings. That'd almost be like giving the most valuable hitter to someone like Gross, who has 3% of the team's AB's. No doubt they have been good when they have played, but when you play that little, it's hard to have an enormous impact on the team's fortunes.

To me, the most valuable position player is Fielder and the most valuable pitcher is Sheets.

Sheets, even having missed a lot of time for injury, just has to be the team Cy Young winner. Dude has been a shut-down pitcher this year. I'm not a big quality start fan, but I'll use them here because they're easy. Sheets has made 14 quality starts this season in 21 opportunities, in 11 of those starts he has exceeded the quality start criteria by going at least 6IP and allowing 2 runs or less. During May and June he was a total stud (failing to make a quality start just once, but was only 1 out away), which is a huge reason why the team went 10-2 in those 12 starts

• 2 weeks later...

"When I compare the two, I have to give Cordero more slack, as he gets put into more high leverage situations, and for a long time Shouse was only inserted into favorable matchups. "

I disagree here. Shouse often comes into situations where there are runners on and he needs to get that batter out. Cordero for almost the entire year has come in in the 9th with nobody on and all he has to do is get three outs. Now, Cordero's role has changed lately but he has not been doing that all year. The more I study and watch baseball, the more I come to the conclusion that a closer is the most overrated position in all of sports.

"When I compare the two, I have to give Cordero more slack, as he gets put into more high leverage situations, and for a long time Shouse was only inserted into favorable matchups. "

I disagree here. Shouse often comes into situations where there are runners on and he needs to get that batter out. Cordero for almost the entire year has come in in the 9th with nobody on and all he has to do is get three outs. Now, Cordero's role has changed lately but he has not been doing that all year. The more I study and watch baseball, the more I come to the conclusion that a closer is the most overrated position in all of sports.

I guess that was my reasoning for putting Shouse up there when it comes to pitchers. Before today, obviously, his percentage of inherited runners stranded is phenominal. And I also give him a lot of credit because he came into this season as being a Loogy, but he has shown he can come in pressure situations and get anybody out, and even work more than 1 inning. I've seen him make guys like Griffey and Dunn look like AA hitters as much as Coco does to other guys.

Also, I know he has pitched in 10-15 games less than Turnbow and Cordero, but I cant think of any games that we could pin the loss on Shouse, and the same cannot be said about any other guy in our bullpen...

Archived