Brewer Fanatic

Is Adam Dunn on our radar for next year?

there is no doubt that Hardy's range has dropped, my guess is that has to do with his ankle, but I think he ranks pretty low in terms of range, so if one wants to make an argument about his defense that would be it. That being said, he is about as sure handed as it gets with something hit in his direction.

to boldly steer this thread back on-topic, my guess is that Adam Dunn is more than likely a Yankee after this offseason. Although he strikes out a ton, he also BBs a ton, and has actually managed to up his BA - gasp! - in a contract year! Even though I'd never expect him to hit .265-ish in NY, he OPS alone justifies the move, plus there's that whole 'short porch' in NY that they're carrying into the new stadium, too.

The only factor I see holding back the Yanks from signing him is that they already have a hit-only player in Giambi. However, Giambi's body has not allowed him to be even just an everyday DH (Damon has split time at that position & LF), so clearly there's PT for Dunn. A renewed Matsui in NY may also stand in the way of Dunn, but I'd be surprised. Damon is no longer the player they signed to the big FA deal, and with the expectations on the team being so high, I wouldn't be surprised to see him pushed to the bench if a better option is made available. It honestly wouldn't even be a stretch to see a LF/CF/RF next year of: Dunn/Cabrera/Matsui. Not good defensively, but pretty stellar offensively.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 3 weeks later...

I think Dunn's name is going to come up plenty this winter, and I think he'll be a lightning rod on this site.

Yes, he has skills that would clearly help the Brewers, but looking at the existing team defense, this is the last guy I want to add to the mix.

Thoughts?

Well, his defense isn't that much worse than Carlos Lee's was (I'm sure someone will come up with numbers to prove me wrong on this statement)...and we sure could've used his extra power this past season. I view someone like Dunn kind of like Ryan Braun...you overlook his questionable glove work for all that he brings with his bat.

I REALLY want to see the Brewers get a big bat to play LF (or either corner OF spot), Dunn or otherwise. Yes, Dunn would be a downgrade from Jenkins defensively, but the extra power he brings is such a difference maker, IMHO.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Invader, my take on Dunn is, we already led MLB in HR, but we blew a ton of leads, ultimately costing us the division. I want offense from the LF spot too, but I really think another big power, poor glove guy will not right the ship, it's more of what we have and less of what is missing.

OBP would be nice if we get Dunn, but any popup to short LF could make it to SportsCenter, for all the wrong reasons.

Oh, I don't really disagree on that...we'd basically be enhancing Milwaukee's biggest strength with a Dunn acquistion. I guess my hope is that Braun and, to a lesser degree, our centerfielder (Hall, Hart, or whoever) has a Rickie Weeks-esque progression, defensively. That would help a lot. If you have a strong defensive 3B and a strong CF, a weak LF glove doesn't matter as much.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I want him because he has an excellent obp. Also, I disagree with that we led the league in homers so therefore we don't want a guy who hits them. It's all about scoring runs and Adam Dunn would help there. I can put up with his defense in exchange for the offense.

I suppose I should clarify, I have no problem adding more power to the lineup, I just don't want a player who actually makes this team's defense worse than it already was. OBP is an area of need, but if it comes from Dunn, I want a huge defensive upgrade somewhere else.

Certainly you can't count on a prospect who's as close to his draft as LaPorta, but with his defensive abilities limited to 1B and LF, and his arrival date being probably in 2008, I wouldn't expect to see Adam Dunn as anything more than a (talented) stopgap. Of course, if he's under contract, you have a slight advantage to re-signing him if LaPorta happened to hit the wall.

The more I look into Bobby Abreu as a LF possibility, the more I like him. While his OPS was only about .815, mainly because his homers were down, he drove in over 110 runs w/ 16 HRs and 40 doubles in 605 ABs. Better yet, while he struck out just over 100 times, he also walked 84 times! Geez, does that sound like the type of production our lineup could use -- and not even need to use in the #3 or #4 spots due to Fielder & Braun (or that just creates that many more options).

By comparison, Adam Dunn? Intriguing, but no thanks.

Archived