Brewer Fanatic

What could Nix fetch us ?

I was listening to JP on the radio yesterday and he was talking about the glut of OF the Brewers have and what they might bring in return. He specifically brought up Gross who could be an everyday player and net us some help in the bullpen.

Anyone think Nix could fetch us any decent bullpen help ? He is off to a decent start .

I'd like to think he could, but I'm not sure. Laynce Nix has actually had a good amount of MLB plate appearances (over 900, which is more than JJ and Corey and the same amount as Prince) and has done nothing at all in them. He's also 26 and seems to get injured easily. I think that the most he could bring would probably be a Sarfate type of guy, ie a guy who is OK in AAA but isn't up in the majors because he can't throw strikes consistently enough.

That said, I would take a guy like Sarfate for Nix in a second if someone offered something like that. It would probably have to be a GM who only looks at "tools" though, not one who looks at results.

This does seem to be a AAAA guy who might platoon and surprise next year if/when Jenkins is not retained...

On the open market I don't get the vibe he has any real value...with the 40 man being an issue over the next few years look for him to be packaged with some extra AAA reliever types down the road...maybe at that...rouse

Nixs nalue at this age would be similar to Branyans when we aquired him from Cleveland for cash, where he was also playing at AAA at the same age.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I think I agree with Al. Gross could likely fetch us a bit more. I still think Nix can be a solid big leaguer, especially in CF or as a 4th OF. Gross reminds me a lot of a player I enjoyed in the mid-90s, Turner Ward.

Still, if either could be dealt to provide some AAA middle infield depth, I would consider it.

I concur with the general feeling of the thread. I'd trade Gross or Gwynn, and make Nix the 4th outfielder. I happen to like Nix, physically I believe he's superior to both, and as an upside I believe he can still develop, although I acknowledge the previous numbers don't predict this. But look at the guy, really look. He's ripped, almost as fast as Gwynn, I see him as a combination of TGR and Gross. He's definitely a better outfielder than Gross. But I admit in the end this would be a risk putting my eggs in this basket.

Oh, and by the way, Nix wouldn't fetch us anything. But the other two could get us the bullpen help we need. Nothing topflight for Gwynn or Gross but more on the line of a good Elmer Dessens instead of a stinkbomb Elmer Dessens.

People are really overestimating the cost for rental players. Most inseason trades get very little. Gross and Gwynn could both start in CF for a number of teams right now. They would make the Pirates loads better.

As for Nix, you can't rely on him to be healthy over a full season, so you can't have him on a contending team considering he still hasn't figured out how to hit major league pitching.

Why would trading Gross and/or Gwynn to make room for Nix make any sense? Gross has at least shown he can be a servicable platooon option. Nix has shown nothing, so if the object is having a good team, I think that having him around hurts that effort. Dump Nix on KC or Wash for a AA/AAA fireballer who can't throw strikes and be done with it. You aren't going to get anything for Gross anyway, so why trade the superior player rather than the infrior one?

It wouldn't make sense. it would be a big risk. A risk I'm sure the Brewers aren't going to take. But I just don't think Nix can bring us anything. gross or Mench or Gwynn might gets us pen help, though I suspect we'd need to trade two of them for one reliever.

Nix is a throw in to a trade for a team that needs healthy bodies to finish out the season.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce your 2006 Brewers.

I agree with JoeHova. There is no reason to trade Gwynn or Gross to bring up Nix. Both Gwynn and Gross are helping the Brewers right now. I guess I don't see the current bullpen to be as big an issue as some. Dessens is the long man. In Yost's system, this is best filled with a veteran who can eat up innings and who you don't mind sitting on the bench for three weeks and then throwing out there three nights in a row. Dessens fills this role perfectly. Spurling (the other whipping boy) is the 6th option out of the pen behind Coco, Turnbow, Wise, Carlos V and Shouse, and he's actually not been that bad since his first few outings. I don't see any reason to trade Gross or Gwynn to replace the 6th man out of the pen at this point. They're more valueable than the reliever would be.

Nix would not get as much in a trade because he is not as good a player. The reliever Joe is talking about is probably the best you'll get from Nix at this point. Would it be worth the trade? It depends on your needs. If you can get someone younger, that may help as they wouldn't need to be added to the 40-man. However, you probably won't find someone who will help Milwaukee win games this year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived