Brewer Fanatic

Zambrano rips fans

chuckiehacks
As for Yost, I may have been really fooled at this one, but I didn't see him give much of an effort to winning the game yesterday. He over managed and got burned by lame decision making. If you pay $35 to see a team try to win, and Davey freakin' Nelson knows a bullpen move is bad, every fan has a ticket to ride the booo train. And I give extra BOOOOOS to Estrada for his apparent lack of effort behind the dish yesterday. I give zero BOOOOS to Aquino, that debacle was not nearly as much his fault as it was Yost's and Estrada's.

That's the great thing about booing in that situation. It's so specific and the intended recipient always knows he's the target...

In baseball, the home team might only get a very small up-tick from having the backing of a big crowd but I'd rather maximize that possibility than tend to my own emotional needs. Besides, I can just moan to my wife. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
If you had my wife, you'd realize that is far more dangerous than booing.

I do agree with those who choose not to boo. I attend a lot of Packer Badger and Brewer games and have yet to actually boo the home team. You get plenty of opportunities to boo: boo the officials, boo opposing guys like Sheffield, Bonds, or Randy Moss. Booing your own guys can't help and only hurts the team. I came to be supportive, not to express my frustration.

By the way, I think a lot of home field advantage in football is related to stadiums where the crowd is intelligent enough to raise the noise level on defense and lower the noise level on offense. That's probably more a thought for lambeauleap.net though.

You know what's worse than booing your own players? Pretending to boo your own players any time they have an "oo" sound in their name. It's stupid, and has been done by every fan base to every player with that sound in his name. It's not even for star players anymore, cripes, San Diego does it for Kouzmanoff.

You're not witty or original, please let it die.

I guarantee you the ones booing are the same ones who still do the wave, 2 decades after it was "cool" for 8.5 minutes. That just about says it all.

MS is correct in his "oo" thing as well. If it was ever kind of unique, that ended when Carter was president.

Those folks should try watching the game and cheering a good effort or play.

You know what's worse than booing your own players? Pretending to boo your own players any time they have an "oo" sound in their name. It's stupid, and has been done by every fan base to every player with that sound in his name. It's not even for star players anymore, cripes, San Diego does it for Kouzmanoff.

You're not witty or original, please let it die.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but everytime I search for something and find what I'm looking for, I put my hands around my mouth and yell "Gooooooooooooooooooogle".

On topic, I agree both with the perspectives that a fan is being completely counterproductive when booing a players performance, and that if a manager is being swayed by the collective opinions of attending fans then that manager should be fired. Yes, a manager is making subjective, judgement calls that will not always work out for the better - this is what he was hired to do. To ask or expect a manager to put the fans' "opinion" before his own is to ask him to fail to perform his job, which in my book is a far worse thing to do than to make a bad decision.

The press conference was so serious, you would have thought that Zambrano had killed somebody. He had a pretty tightly crafted apology, some decent spin for the Cubs.

Steve Stone on WSCR put it best: There were two transactions in baseball today. The Brewers got Ray King and the Cubs got Karl Rove.

On topic, I agree both with the perspectives that a fan is being completely counterproductive when booing a players performance, and that if a manager is being swayed by the collective opinions of attending fans then that manager should be fired. Yes, a manager is making subjective, judgement calls that will not always work out for the better - this is what he was hired to do. To ask or expect a manager to put the fans' "opinion" before his own is to ask him to fail to perform his job, which in my book is a far worse thing to do than to make a bad decision.

I agree. And if Yost brings in Aquino in a high leverage situation again this year, he deserves to be fired as well.

SeriesFinale[/b]]Yost is well aware that the fans boo him...that's been very well-documented. And you can't be serious that booing prevents "bad moves."
Of course I'm serious in hoping that it does. If there were 10,000 fans booing me (giving the benefit of doubt to 1/4 in attendance) I sure would want to wonder why, then figure it out if I was competent, then make sure I don't make that blatantly bad decision again. Isn't the goal to have the crowd not booing? Only way to do that is to not make bad decisions. Yesterday's booing was to the effect of watching helplessly as a car accident occurs. You might say Oh NOOOOO! Yesterday the crowd was saying "NOOOOOOOO you idiot." I would bet that if CoCo was coming out of the pen instead of Aquino, the reaction would have been 180 degrees positive. Hopefully next time we can find out for sure.

The moment any manager starts to make moves based on fans reactions during a game is the moment he needs to be removed from his job. How on earth anyone can realistically believe a manager should take the crownd's opinion into consideration, provided he can figure out what the crowd really wants done at that moment, is beyond me. Exactly how is Ned supposed to manage the way that pleases the crowd during a gmae? Is he supposed to keep trotting guys out until one of them does't get booed and that's the magical move that not only pleases the crowd but is also the one move that will garuntee victory? After all 10,000 fans know a whole hell of a lot more about the mindset and physical abilities of any particular player at any given moment than a manager does. As soon as those 10,000 fans all spend 8-10 hours a day with each and every one of the players talking to them getting a feel for where they are at and how they feel I'd be willing to think the fans really might know as much about what move is best for the team both in the short term and laong haul. Until then I'd much rather Ned, a life long baseball man, make decisions based off his knowledge of the team and the game than off of a group of drunks.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I have never booed. Ever.

Booing because of poor performance is just ridiculous. I can understand booing for a perceived lack of effort or booing a guy who is a jerk (like Big Z), but booing because someone had a bad game, or a few in a row? Come on. It's not like the player doesn't know he is doing poorly. It's not like he doesn't want to do better. And it's not like the coaches have no idea, either.

They were actually talking about this on ESPN yesterday. They said that while pro athletes should be able to tune it out, they are still human. They still have ears and emotions. And whereas in a game like football, a player can "take it up a notch" and let emotion drive his play for a while, that's not the case in baseball. If a player hears the boobirds and starts trying harder (whether it is an "I'll show them" thing or "I don't want to disappoint them" thing), he often plays worse. Batters who try too hard to hit tend to overthink and overswing, prolonging a slump. Pitchers who try to overthrow run into trouble.

Boo if a player is dogging it, boo if he's a jerk. Fine. But booing just because a player or team isn't doing well is counterproductive.

Zambrano deserves whatever he gets from the fans. He brought it upon himself, and I feel no sympathy for him whatsoever. Fans will do whatever they want. Anytime you put 40,000 people in a confined setting, anything can happen.

The reason it seems like Brewers fans are booing so much more now than in years past is because in years past, there weren't enough people in the stadium for the booing to be very loud, and the few who were in the stadium knew there was nothing on the line anyway, so they didn't even make the effort to boo.

It's on the players to perform on the field to put an end to the booing. Don't complain about the fans booing you when you don't play well (Linebrink, I'm looking at you). Play well, and the fans will stop booing you. It's as simple as that.

The reason it seems like Brewers fans are booing so much more now than in years past is because in years past, there weren't enough people in the stadium for the booing to be very loud, and the few who were in the stadium knew there was nothing on the line anyway, so they didn't even make the effort to boo.

I cared enough to attend games when the Brewers were 20 games under .500 but me and the other 7,000 people at the game were apathetic to the level of play and outcome of the game? Booing takes no effort at all. I would say that the opposite is true.

Don't complain about the fans booing you when you don't play well (Linebrink, I'm looking at you).

Did you watch the game last night? Here's how the top half of the 7th went:

E Munson safe at first on error by second baseman R Weeks. (infield groundball)

M Lamb grounded out to shortstop, E Munson to second.

H Pence singled to center, E Munson scored. (groundball that found a hole)

C Burke singled to center, H Pence to second. (blooper into shallow OF)

Pitching to Berkman, Linebrink throws a ball to push the count to 3-1. What do our lovely fans do?

BOOOOO!

Classless.

Yes, I did watch the game last night, and the reason Linebrink is drawing the ire of the fans is because we aquired him to pitch well in high pressure situations, and he has not done that on a consistent basis. Calling fans classless for booing Linebrink is a little extreme. Did Linebrink deserve to get booed for his performance last night? That is debatable. He did give up two runs in a high pressure situation. The fans are restless. They really want a winner, and after watching their team give up three run lead after three run lead, I can see how some fans could get a little premature to unleash their boos. If Linebrink had given up the lead, then absolutely he deserved to get booed. Thankfully, he got out of it, and the fans stopped booing.

It's debatable whether Linbrink "should" have been booed after going 3-1 on Berkman? Wow. I'm guessing you are one of those guys who'd boo his own mother if she over cooked the thanksgiving turkey.

Nothing good comes from booing your own team. Players don't want to play for fans like that and other many fans don't even want to be associated with those kind of fans. If Brewer fans made a habit of booing their team after every walk, I wouldn't even go to the games and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Of course, when the Brewer inevitably stink again, I guess we would get our stadium back. Yipee.

Yes, I did watch the game last night, and the reason Linebrink is drawing the ire of the fans is because we aquired him to pitch well in high pressure situations, and he has not done that on a consistent basis. Calling fans classless for booing Linebrink is a little extreme. Did Linebrink deserve to get booed for his performance last night? That is debatable. He did give up two runs in a high pressure situation. The fans are restless. They really want a winner, and after watching their team give up three run lead after three run lead, I can see how some fans could get a little premature to unleash their boos. If Linebrink had given up the lead, then absolutely he deserved to get booed. Thankfully, he got out of it, and the fans stopped booing.

I'd say booing for anything other than lack of effort is extreme, but that's just me...

It's just classless. C'mon people, we aren't Cubs, Yankees or Phillies fans. Let's try not to behave like them.

Zambrano deserves whatever he gets from the fans. He brought it upon himself, and I feel no sympathy for him whatsoever. Fans will do whatever they want. Anytime you put 40,000 people in a confined setting, anything can happen.

It's on the players to perform on the field to put an end to the booing. Don't complain about the fans booing you when you don't play well (Linebrink, I'm looking at you). Play well, and the fans will stop booing you. It's as simple as that.

I like this post. I was there, and you could hear crickets. It takes more effort to boo than it does to sit there and do nothing. If Linebrink doesn't want to be booed, then let the high chopper fall in your glove and throw it to first. Don't jump around like a non-athletic gleeb and have the ball go flying off your glove. Just stand there, let the ball fall in your glove and throw it to first. If you do this simple thing, the fans will not boo. The average paying customer has a hard time sympathizing with a non-athletic ballplayer making $2M a year. Get the outs and the boos go away. A-rod even realized that if you catch the easy pop-ups (and hit 50 home runs), the boos will go away. While booing may be classless and counter productive, it ususally happens because there is some suckage going on (save football games where booing is an art form). It is some people's way of dealing with the suckage.

Archived