Brewer Fanatic

Yost's lack of confidence

jeffy

This quote from Mark A about Yost in an article on jsonine.com, implies to me that Yost lacks confidence in his own decision making. This is not a good trait for a manager to have in a pennant race.

"He's trying to make the players happy, he's trying to make the fans happy, he's trying to make the general manager happy, and he's worried about making me happy," Attanasio said. "And with all of that, he's trying to make the right decision. I am encouraging him to do what he thinks is right. We want him to manage the game."

I certainly hope it's merely a "public" vote of confidence. I'm glad the poster brought up those comments though. I've been trying to get others read on those comments myself. If you were an executive running a business and one of your lead managers was displaying that kind of self-doubt could you possibly sit back and let him continue in his current capacity if it were such a crucial point in time for your business? To me its a no-brainer, the guy needs to be replaced immediately. Cut him a check for whatever remains on his contract and wish him well.

"We want him to manage the game."

This statement is the most interesting. Why? Because that's what everyone wants...and that's what Yost should be doing. It sounds to me that if Attanasio is even saying this, that he doesn't necessarily feel that Yost IS actually managing the game correctly. Of course, not everyone is going to agree what is correct on every little decision.

But, sometimes the decisions are just obvious, or obvious that Yost is really making a wrong decision whether or not it works. And you can tell that Yost isn't relying on anything other than "What will be the least painful decision here." If you want an example, just look at the decision last week to remove Suppan after hitting the batter. You could almost read Yost's mind the way he stared out of the dugout and then jumped up to remove him. You could see that he was thinking about the time he left Bush in too long just a couple games ago. The problem is that the situations weren't really the same...and there's your biggest problem.

You can hear it in his post game comments when he talks about "if I did this...if I didn't do this...." While you can't measure whether or not Yost has lost this team, I think you can definitely see that he has lost his own self confidence in the management of the game.

Sure, there's a vote of confidence (aka 'you're probably canned at the end of the year'http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif...it's really too late to make a managerial change this season. A couple weeks ago? Now that was another story. What else is Attanasio supposed to say at this point?

Yeah, to me there's a lot of waffling in Ned's moves lately. He will let a starting pitcher bat in the 7th, as though he's committed to the guy, then lift him after he allows one baserunner. He'll bring in McClung, then quickly pull the plug. I feel like the guy is flailing, trying to find the winning combination without really having much of an underlying game plan. It seems clear that the criticism has gotten under Ned's skin...that is natural, I guess, but it's not healthy to have a manager so filled with doubt.

"Attanasio said he felt Yost had been consistent all year long in terms of his managerial moves and said it was a mistake to evaluate a manager on a point-by-point, pitch-by-pitch, game-by-game basis."

Really? If anything has been consistant it has been the bad decisions. I may have started beating the horse now that its dead, but I really can't stand looking at Ned in the dugout anymore. His facial expressions make me so angry. I liked him starting out the year, but he has handled success as poorly as I could have imagined. It went to his head early, and now he needs to make good decsions to win some critical games and he can't. Its just a sea of excuses. Time for the media to step up and start firing the tough questions during the post game. They are almost assured he will be gone next year anyway, so start the rift.

Archived