Brewer Fanatic

9/4/2007: Astros (Backe) at Brewers (Villanueva), 7:05pm CT

thablingster
  • Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good work by Carlos, Coco and some timely hitting. Linebrink almost got ambushed by bad luck tonight, but survived. Ned Yost commanded a good game (except he should have slapped Coop for suggesting CoCo was cheating). Ned had a decision to make with Linebrink, and I thought made the right choice. The Stros were getting lucky (except the walk), and I thought SL was going to work out of it. Other than that is was pretty easy going for Yost tonight, he needed that. How long can we lean on Shouse? Hopefully for another month and three quarters. And I said I was done following... I have no willpower. At all. None. Really.

So, it's a perfect day for the Brewers...tough to know that the Brewers should be in first place tonight, though. We have a hell of a race going--three teams within a game of each other.

Edit: 25,800 in the stands tonight. I thought every game the rest of the year was supposed to have crowds of 30k+?

I just got home from the game...I don't know if "fun" is the word I would use to describe it, but it was exciting.

I was disappointed in the crowd for booing so heavily in the 7th. It's not like there was another real viable option from the 'pen unless Yost was going to throw Aquino out there again. Don't boo Linebrink for an error and a dink single and don't boo Ned for leaving his only option out there to pitch (I'm a "Fire Yost" guy but the crowd was ridiculous there). If anything, boo Weeks for his matador defense that ended up costing the Brewers a run.

I miss Graffanino...he could give us the solid D in the late innings that Weeks often doesn't (the grounder in the 7th and the bad throw on the potential DP in the 9th). In fact, I'm starting to wonder if Ned shouldn't use Counsell to replace Weeks and leave Braun out there on D in the late innings. It's probably just knee-jerk reaction from one night, but that's what I'm thinking now.

Yeah it was right down the 3rd base line and it was bunted so hard that when it hit off 3rd base it bounced to the SS so he picked it up which is probably why it said to the SS. Just trust me on this though.http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif

I trust you, I was only commenting because I thought it was funny.http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif

I just got home from the game...I don't know if "fun" is the word I would use to describe it, but it was exciting.

I was disappointed in the crowd for booing so heavily in the 7th. It's not like there was another real viable option from the 'pen unless Yost was going to throw Aquino out there again. Don't boo Linebrink for an error and a dink single and don't boo Ned for leaving his only option out there to pitch (I'm a "Fire Yost" guy but the crowd was ridiculous there). If anything, boo Weeks for his matador defense that ended up costing the Brewers a run.

I miss Graffanino...he could give us the solid D in the late innings that Weeks often doesn't (the grounder in the 7th and the bad throw on the potential DP in the 9th). In fact, I'm starting to wonder if Ned shouldn't use Counsell to replace Weeks and leave Braun out there on D in the late innings. It's probably just knee-jerk reaction from one night, but that's what I'm thinking now.

I agree completely, the fans jumped the gun on the booing tonight in the 7th. It seems everyone is expecting him to make the wrong move, even if its the right one. And your right with Weeks too, but how can he make some of the great plays he does and then turn around and discredit all of that. Reminds me of Jose Valentine's defense.

I wonder if some in the league think Cordero is putting something on the balls. In one of the games against St. Louis, Pujols tried getting the ump to check something while Cordero was in. On the other hand, on television, it really looked like the ump was telling the Brewers "Look, I know you're not doing anything, but I'll check because I have to."

I was there too and I think people just need to stop taking the booing so seriously. Some fans just boo everything and a boo is about 100 times louder than a clap. Also keep in mind that it's the cumulative result of past choke jobs. Any players whining about it just need to quit being so sensitive and shut up and play. Linebrink wasn't really that bad, the only hard hit ball was the error by Weeks, but walking the bases loaded there is boo-worthy.

Yost has got to stop taking out Braun for defense unless it's the 9th inning and he just batted. Take out Weeks instead, 2 errors, and failed to turn a routine double play tonight. Also could have saved a run if he knocked down a ball up the middle, but I think he is 0 for his career on diving for the ball and actually getting it.

Villanueva didn't exactly dominate, but had enough of the hitters off-balance.

Gabe Gross' Jesus music and whatever the hell Cory Hart has are just so out of place that they are irritating.

Actually, Poop was a complete ass to check CoCo.

Personally I think it's really lame to call Cecil Cooper 'Poop.' (Are you trying to be funny?) Whatever you think of the check on Cordero, the guy's done enough for the Brewers that he doesn't deserve that. I say that not as a moderator but as a fan, and someone who really appreciated Cooper as a player.

As I said earlier, I think Yost made exactly the right call with Shouse tonight...and that's coming from someone who's been severely critical of Yost's bullpen management for a long time. I can't believe this division...can't believe we're still in the race, if 'race' is even the right word.

Yost has got to stop taking out Braun for defense unless it's the 9th inning and he just batted. Take out Weeks instead, 2 errors, and failed to turn a routine double play tonight. Also could have saved a run if he knocked down a ball up the middle, but I think he is 0 for his career on diving for the ball and actually getting it.

I have much more faith in Weeks defense than Braun's. Weeks had a bad game last night, but he's still way ahead of Braun defensively. Braun has cost the Brewers at least 2 games, late in the game, with errors. I can't remember any games that Weeks defense lost the game (last night was close though).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"Hardly, pulling Braun is gonna cost him the batting title, apparently. "

So?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived