Brewer Fanatic

Braun injury (Left wrist still an issue, day-to-day)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I caught that story yesterday by Jeff Sackmann, it's a great read, and it reminds me of the debates from about 15 years ago about where the Brewers would have finished in 1992 had they not waited so long to call up Cal Eldred.

The production at third base isn't hurting the team yet, but when that lack of production becomes more obvious I hope the team doesn't wait to long to make the right move.

Same goes for the pitching staff though with Yo. If there is one guy in the bullpen (Elmer Dessens?) that more often than not proves to be a weak link, I hope the braintrust makes the right move for the best interest of the big-league team's success. Plus, as we've talked about at great length before, it would be nice to see the Brewers groom a starter via the bullpen.

EDIT: I'm not too worried about Braun. If the team thought it was really serious I'm guessing they would have placed him on the DL. I suppose that's still possible, making it retroactive to whenever he made his last appearance, although I don't know if there is a corresponding move to make.

Meanwhile third base is a black hole in Milwaukee.. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

and when do we start hearing the dreaded "S" word that ended Weeks's season last year.

Quote:
i heard a rumor that he had a leg amputated, labrum surgery, and died when he choked during a hot dog eating contest...

-----edited------It's hardly unknown for a team to downplay a guy's injury until word comes that he has to have surgery or will otherwise be out for a couple months.----edited----

sorry, I took something the wrong way. It's been a long day.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nashville Media Notes Sunday:

WHAT CAN BRAUN DO FOR YOU?: Third baseman Ryan Braun -- who is currently day-to-day with a sore left wrist and has missed the last seven games -- leads the PCL with a 1.142 OPS and a .716 slugging percentage. The 23-year-old prospect is tied for 5th in the circuit with 18 extra-base hits, is tied for 3rd with eight home runs, and ranks 5th among league batters with a .358 average.

Quote:
I guess this is the attitude that some new people decry when they first come here, this distasteful I know better than you and all your concerns are moronic at best, psychotic and subhuman at worst attitude. I hope your smugness keeps you warm at night, wrapped in your blanket of grandeur and self-congratulation.
Wow, as you can guess from my subsequent post, I didn't take it that way at all. I just thought it was funny.

Cool off a bit, I don't think there was anything in that post to suggest any of this.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Ya know, I may be overreacting a bit on this injury. But what I have learned over the last couple of years is not to trust what the organization says.

Remember...Sheets prognosis when he got hurt the last couple of times, they always said he would be back soon.

Remember... Koskie was day-to-day with a minor concussion.

Remember...JJ was supposed to be out for a week or two after "popping" a tendon in his ankle.

Remember...Rickie was day-to-day with a wrist injury after wagging his bat.

I'm just saying...

Well, Doug and Gord...

Yes Sheets groin was day-to-day and management was right and they should be.

It is just alarming to be lied to or to be misdiagnosed about injuries so

darn much. Day to day means day to day-not a week+.

i was just playing...i'm a little concerned that he;s been out for a week...just having a good ole time...

and yes, smugness does make a good blanket http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think we need to keep in mind we are dealing with an injury to the human body. Get 25 people together and pull a groin and you'll have 25 different time frames for them returning to 100%.

Forced to predict when those guys are going to return to full health, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single prediction that would be right on for all of them, and forced to make 25 predictions, I wonder how close they'd get to 100% accuracy.

Braun might really be day-to-day without the medical staff or the coaching staff lying about it or mis-diagnosing the severity of the injury.

Remember... Koskie was day-to-day with a minor concussion.

Actually, Koskie was really close to playing (by his own admission) within a couple of days of the injury. It was only after that time his post concussion symptoms cropped up. No one lied- the conditions changed.

I don't have a link for that, but I remember reading it in one of the Koskie threads in the ML forum.

Remember...JJ was supposed to be out for a week or two after "popping" a tendon in his ankle.

If I remember correctly, JJ's initial injury was a sprained ankle and that he was going to be out several weeks. The tendon popping was the result of a pre-existing condition (something he noted in AAA) that needed to be fixed after the sprain. Initially they tried to strengthen the tendon thru exercise, but it didn't work so they did the surgery.

Again, I don't think anyone lied or there was any medical missteps.

I guess I just don't see too much reason to worry. His injury is what it is and he'll be back when he's back. And that's probably as much information as we'll ever have about the injury.

As an aside, does anyone have any more information about the injury disclosure policy? I thought that I read someplace that it was going to be harder than ever to get information about injuries because of patient privacy laws.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Do we really need to keep posting every day that Braun remains out? The assumption is that he's out. The news will be when he comes back. There's no point announcing every day that the status quo hasn't changed.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Sounds announcer Chuck Valenches just mentioned that Braun (who is coaching first base today) took batting practice for the first time on Monday. The wrist (no longer the groin) is still the reason for his absence, and the Brewers want to avoid a Rickie Weeks-type situation with him. It didnt sound like he'd be back for the Sounds next game, which is Thursday, but maybe soon thereafter.

For what reason should the Brewers be rushing him back into the AAA lineup if he is not at 100%. People are acting like he needs to be playing everyday. Let the guy heal and then go back to raking the ball. If there was any worries they would have had the Brewer medical staff take a look at him.

Quote:
For what reason should the Brewers be rushing him back into the AAA lineup if he is not at 100%. People are acting like he needs to be playing everyday. Let the guy heal and then go back to raking the ball. If there was any worries they would have had the Brewer medical staff take a look at him.

I don't think people are saying they want to see him rushed back into the AAA lineup if he's not 100%, and it is they just want to see him healthy, or at least that's my case.

Thanks for the update Mass Haas... The Brewers need Braun soon, but I would imagine this set-back delays his call-up. He'll need time to again make sure everything is together with his defense

Archived