Brewer Fanatic

If the Brewers win the World Series...

bigredrobbo

If the Brewers win the WS Ned Yost would be named Manager of the year.

Probably true. Within the next 100 years, it will also become apparant that somebody who won a Nobel Prize was completely wrong about what they won the prize for.

I think a related (and similarly valid) question would be, if the Brewers make the postseason (but are eliminated in the DS or CS), does Ned get canned, or should he get canned?

To give my opinion on bigredrobbo's original question, hypothetically, I'd call it unlikely but not impossible for Ned to be ushered out after a Brewers WS title this season - unless it's for some sordid non-baseball behavior, like the kind of misconduct that would get any of us fired from most any job.

[i hope this doesn't lead to posters here actively rooting for the Brewers to miss out, solely to get Ned out. I understand how his departure could be for the Brewers' "greater good," but I just couldn't root for their short-term failure myself.]

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

If Ned continued/s to make awful matchup decisions, yet the team won/wins in spite of that, he certainly could still be let go. However, I highly doubt that would/will happen - divisional series, champ. series, or w.s. regardless - as long as they made the playoffs
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Diamondbacks didn't fire Bob Brenly in '01 after he nearly pissed away the World Series by continuing to let Kim pitch against the Yankees. If he could stay on, Ned would be able to stay on if the Brewers won the World Series.

Of course, managerial mistakes are magnified in the postseason. A manager with a history of questionable decisions who continues to make poor decisions in the postseason can find himself out of a job if his team can't bail him out (just ask Grady Little). I could see Ned getting fired if the Brewers made the playoffs but he did something stupid like he did today by running Aquino out there with the game on the line, and it cost them the series. (Although if Aquino is on a postseason roster, I may have to go to Miller Park and start taking hostages.)

He will not be fired for managerial performance if they make the playoffs. It'll just be too much of a high point for the franchise. Now, if something else goes on behind the scenes, such as refusing to follow the front office's recommendations, he could still be fired, unless they won the WS, in which case the chance is about as close to 0 as it gets.

If the Brewers win the World Series . . . . I will have lost a lot of money on tickets and airfare but made alot of it back on betting slips made on the Brewers up in Vegas last November.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I think there is no way he does get canned if the Brewers end up over .500 and make the playoffs. I doubt that that he will be fired, even if only one of those things happen.

As much as I'd like him to be gone, I could not see firing him if they were to win the WS.

I would fire Yost no matter what the team ends up doing. So yes I'd fire him even if we won the world series.

I tend to agree, in this extreme example --

I don't think DM has set benchmarks for Yost such as "win 82 games" or "make the playoffs". I think DM will evaluate the play of the team at the end of the year.

Since the AS break the Brewers are winning at a .408 clip. If that trend continues and DM doesn't fire Yost, then basically he is saying "I am OK with this team that I assembled playing .408 baseball". If that is the case DM should throw himself on his sword.

If this team just happens to bumble less than the Cubs and Cards and somehow makes the playoffs, I would expect Yost to be fired.

We need to keep sight of the fact that currently the Brewers would be 4th in the East, 5th in the West and are 6th in the WC standings. The only reason we are thinking about the playoffs is because we are fortunate to be in baseball's weakest division.

In the completely unlikely event the Brewers win the WS with Ned Yost as their manager, he still gets fired in my book. The reason: Ned Yost is not an above average MLB manager. Why keep him around when almost anyone else could do a better job?

If the team wins the world series, there can be no justification for firing Yost. How do you fire the manager that led your (extremely young) team to the best season in its history?

And the only reason Joe Girardi got fired was for insubordination. Not because he failed as a manager.

you guys are ridiculous. if the brewers win the world series not ned yost nor any other manager would get fired. that is one of the dumbest things i have ever heard and some people really need to get over the fact that not all his in game moves have worked out. he made the same decisions at the beginning of the year when we were 14 games over .500.

If the Brewers win the WS Ned Yost would be named Manager of the year.

If MOY is like the other major awards, voting happens before the postseason (ie after the regular season has ended but before the first Division Series game). So the voters would only know that the Brewers had made the playoffs. Now it may be that MOY is different, but I don't have any reason to believe that is the case. (Someone will surely know for sure? I couldn't find a link one way or the other...)

Right now I think the evidence is pretty compelling in favor of firing Ned. Should the team somehow rouse itself to a winning streak and surge past the Cubs, that would likely make the decision a difficult one.

Don't forget, however, that post-season games will lead to a great deal of scrutiny of Ned's in-game managing. Every decision will unfold in the face of the national media...while I'd love to believe that Ned's tactical genius will rise to the occasion, somehow that seems unlikely. Thus, I think there's reason to belive that post-season games might hurt Ned if he makes a major blunder on national television...see also Grady Little and Pedro Martinez.

If the Brewers win the World Series and are basking in the glow of the blood-red moon, the least of Ned Yost's problems will be his job security. He'll have more trouble jogging, what with all the locusts and dogs running backward in the streets.

LOL!!!

Okay, much as I expected, Ned's job rests on performance, and last time I checked, the rollercoaster is still running.

Now, again hypothetically, if the Brewers were in exactly the same position they are in now, with exactly the same managerial moves, but the manager's name was Robin Yount instead of Ned Yost - would all the posts demanding his firing still exist?

For the record, here are my answers to my own questions.

If the Crew wins it all, Ned won't be fired, nor should he be. He's the same guy that was there in the great April and June as the terrible May and Jul/Aug. Should we win the WS it's just another cycle in a crazy year. If, however, we finish under .500 and miss the playoffs, IMO he's gone.

And if his name was Robin Yount instead of Ned Yost, there's no freakin' way on god's green earth he gets the same ride, and anyone who says otherwise is, I think, being disingenuous.

As for yesterday, however, the only place Aquino should be at Miller Park is on a concession stand, not the mound. He better be gone really soon...

Archived