Brewer Fanatic

Who could be a big league starter?

DHonks

Okay, so after starting the Zack Jackson thread, I began to think deeper than that. Here are the current minor league starters that either seem destined to be relievers or have been spoken of as relievers.

AAA: Dillard, Jackson, Capellan, Oxspring

AA: Parra, Jones, Housman, Hammond, Narron, Pettyjohn

So what legit prospects do we have as starting pitchers?

Yovanni Gallardo

Will Inman

Steve Garrison

Derek Miller

Zack Braddock

Alex Periard

Mike Ramlow

I've always been intrigued by Dillard, Hammond, and Parra, but it sounds like their roles could be in the pen one day. So really, we aren't as deep at starting pitcher as I thought

I think we need to see Rogers pitch post surgery before he can go back on the list. As for Jeffress he needs to get to and out of Helena before he even becomes a prospect in my mind. Not that I don't think he has talent it's just that is a pick I wish we could do over at this point. He has been less than impressive to date.

To be honest, I am in no way ready to give up on Alex Manual Parra. With last reports of him hitting 89-92 on the gun, coupled with a 5-1 record and over a K/IP, I am excited about this guy once again.

All that being said, he could go out and blow up the next few games, but I think he may have turned a corner in this past year.

I'd add Parra to the SP list, for sure.

Quote:
To be honest, I am in no way ready to give up on Alex Manual Parra. With last reports of him hitting 89-92 on the gun, coupled with a 5-1 record and over a K/IP, I am excited about this guy once again.

Same here. I am rooting really hard for him to make it to Milwaukee. I would love to see him play up here.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I'd agree with your assessment, no one is jumping out that I would disagree with one way or another.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Yes, I still hold out hope for Parra as a starter as well, though I wouldn't mind seeing him in the pen this year and/or next year.

Rogers will be a reliever, imo. If his mechanics are really as bad as everybody says, I would think they would want to limit his chance of getting hurt by having him pitch fewer innings in relief. Plus, he's only got 2 pitches, which can be hard for a ML starting pitcher to have success with (I know that plenty of guys do have success with only 2 pitches, but I'm talking in general terms).

i think yo and inman are your only surefire starter candidates right now...

it's way too soon to talk about the guys in low a...obviously, mcclendon and braddock have the ability to be atsrters, but who knows what will happen over the next few seasons...

i'm sure the same could be said about inman, but he's about a month from AA, and three months for people demanding he be called up in september because ben sheets has a runny nose..

Parra deserves to start, but i'm not sure if there will be an opening for the guy in MKE any time soon...he's running out of options, and the brewers aren't going to let him dissapear, so he'll probably move to the pen...a similar thing is happening to carlos villanueva---good enough to start, but not good enough to force a trade..

other than yo, inman, and parra...and possibly braddock and mcclendon, i think you've got a buncha guys who could start, but because of lower ceilings, will probably make it to the majors as relievers...

in this farm system, you have to be ben sheets to make it to the majors as a starter and stay there...and i think this will continue...super dominate acepotential prospects will be given long leashes...everyone else will have to wait patiently for a possible chance, like Carlos V, Dana Eveland, Jose Cappellan, and others have done before them...

edit: Jeffress and post surgery rogers are a total mystery to me, but huge fastball no control guys tend to be relievers, so that doesn't really change my thoughts...i'm sure we can say the same about what ever high school righty the team drafts in a couple of weeks as well...

Quote:
a similar thing is happening to carlos villanueva---good enough to start, but not good enough to force a trade..

I think you are being premature here. Villy is quite young and it's still very early in his ML career. If Gallardo gets called up and put in the bullpen, are you going to close the door on the chance that the Brewers open a spot in the rotation for Gallardo?

In my opinion, the Brewers see Gallardo and Villanueva as near future starters. If they didn't see Villanueva as a near term starter, why was there debate about sending him down to AAA so he could stay stretched out? Vargas, Bush and Suppan are hardly great pitchers, there will be plenty of room in the rotation soon enough.

Quote:
I think you are being premature here. Villy is quite young and it's still very early in his ML career. If Gallardo gets called up and put in the bullpen, are you going to close the door on the chance that the Brewers open a spot in the rotation for Gallardo?

i meant when he was called up...i think he'll have a starting position at some point...probably next season..

i also know that he was a starter last season, but his presence did not stop the brewers from adding vargas...i think if yo is the one who puts up those innings in 2006, then the team doesnt add vargas...

I'm pretty pessimistic about many of these guys being major league starters. However I'm really pumped that these guys could be very productive relievers (but no closers unfortunately). Starters: Gallardo, Villy, Braddock. Inman I'm just not sold on Short guy, small hands, smells like cabbage--the proverbial Mike Meyers carny-type.

Archived