Brewer Fanatic

Link Report Wed. 5/23 - Sore Shoulder May Sideline Braddock

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wednesday's Daily Menu:

All times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Nashville: LHP Zach Jackson at home vs. Memphis (Cardinals), 11:45 AM pre-game; 12:00 PM gametime

Audio link:

www.nashvillesounds.com/listenlive/

Huntsville: LHP Sam Narron at Mobile (Diamondbacks), 6:55 pre-game; 7:05 PM gametime

Audio link:

www.huntsvillestars.com/

Brevard County: TBD at Dunedin (Blue Jays), 5:50 PM pre-game, 6:00 PM gametime; it'll probably be LHP Derek Miller, it's his turn

Audio link (game will also archive at this link):

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../audio.jsp

West Virginia: RHP Mike McClendon at home vs. Augusta (Giants), 9:25 AM pre-game, 9:35 gametime

Audio link (game will also archive at this link):

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../audio.jsp

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Follow Wednesday's action as it happens:

Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Window". Open the Nashville Gameday. For the others, choose "Log". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often.

Nashville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_nasaaa_1

Huntsville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_mobaax_1

Brevard County:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_dunafa_1

West Virginia:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_wvaafx_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

These links will be included in each daily report when the Nashville Sounds and/or Huntsville Stars are scheduled to play. Normally they are updated an hour or two prior to gametime, with Nashville's usually earlier:

Nashville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

www.nashvillesounds.com/pdf/notes.pdf

Huntsville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

www.huntsvillestars.com/i...eNotes.pdf

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Standings through Tuesday's action:
 Pacific Coast League (AAA) - PCL American North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Iowa 25 20 .556 - 14-6 11-14 W1 Nashville 24 21 .533 1.0 14-7 10-14 W1 Memphis 22 24 .478 3.5 15-9 7-15 L1 Omaha 21 24 .467 4.0 17-9 4-15 W2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Southern League (AA) - SOU North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Huntsville 23 20 .535 - 13-12 10-8 W1 Tennessee 23 20 .535 - 8-10 15-10 W3 Chattanooga 20 25 .444 4.0 12-13 8-12 L1 West Tenn 19 26 .422 5.0 10-10 9-16 L1 Carolina 17 29 .370 7.5 9-12 8-17 L2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Florida State League (A+) - FSL East Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brevard County 27 18 .600 - 15-6 12-12 L2 Palm Beach 26 19 .578 1.0 13-12 13-7 W2 Vero Beach 22 23 .489 5.0 16-8 6-15 L1 Daytona 21 23 .477 5.5 13-8 8-15 L3 Jupiter 18 27 .400 9.0 6-14 12-13 L4 St. Lucie 17 28 .378 10.0 9-15 8-13 L2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- South Atlantic League (A) - SAL Northern Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- West Virginia 28 14 .667 - 13-9 15-5 L2 Greensboro 27 18 .600 2.5 15-5 12-13 W2 Lakewood 22 20 .524 6.0 9-11 13-9 W3 Lake County 20 24 .455 9.0 12-13 8-11 L3 Delmarva 19 24 .442 9.5 10-11 9-13 W2 Hagerstown 19 26 .422 10.5 10-12 9-14 L2 Lexington 19 26 .422 10.5 9-14 10-12 L1 Hickory 16 26 .381 12.0 6-10 10-16 L3

I'd simply like to say that following the minors this season has been especially enjoyable as just about every night there is an organizational pitcher that deserves serious following.

I haven't really been following the minors long enough to know, but it seems as if this is the best pitching depth the organization may have ever had.

I used to think I followed the minors, but I have to say I had no idea how many games they have during the week that start at noon or earlier. What is with these 9:30 starts. I like them, they give me something to check on while at work, but I don't understand the scheduling.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: West Virginia 4, Augusta (Giants) 2

RHP Mike McClendon season stats:

McClendon is going to warrant serious Power 50 consideration -- at a young 22, he's not especially old for the Sally League, he was a relatively high draft pick (10th round, 2006), he's 6'5", 215, and he's been able to establish himself as a legitimate prospect even if he's not posting gaudy Zach Braddock-like strikeout numbers, while others in the Power rotation (Brae Wright, Roque Mercedes, Mike Ramlow) have struggled. The Brewers have failed miserably in recent years of developing pitchers drafted in that 4th-10th round range, with nearly all flaming out before reaching AA. It'd be nice if McClendon bucks that trend. In today's game, it's likely he was limited to five innings max after his 117-pitch near no-hit effort last time out.

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...pid=501873

West Virginia Box Score:

Chuckie Caufield with three singles; British Columbia's Taylor Green making Team Canada proud -- he pretty much defines "88 breakout AB's" -- I was hoping his HR came off any GreenJacket but Buster Lussier, who's from my neighboring town in Massachusetts...

West Virginia Game Log:

Brewer Fanatic Staff

West Virginia Site Game Summary:

POWER SNAP HOME LOSING SKID

The West Virginia Power snapped a four game home losing streak with a 4-2 victory over the Augusta GreenJackets on Wednesday morning at Appalachian Power Park.

The Power took their first lead of the series in the bottom of the third inning on back-to-back two-out RBI singles from Brent Brewer and Michael Brantley. The Power took a 4-0 edge in the bottom of the seventh on Taylor Green?s two-run homer, his sixth of the year. One out away from being shut out, Matt Weston hit a two-run homer in the ninth to plate Augusta?s only runs of the game.

The victory gives the Power a 3-0 record on Grand Slam School Days at Appalachian Power Park and it was their first home win since May 6.

Mike McClendon (4-1) tossed five scoreless innings of four-hit ball to get the win and Kevin Pucetas (5-1) was tagged with the loss after surrendering just two runs on seven hits over six innings. Patrick Ryan contributed with three scoreless innings of relief.

The Power improved to 29-14 with the win and the GreenJackets fell to 32-14 with the loss. Chuckie Caufield paced the Power with three hits and Michael Brantley reached on a pair of singles to extend his on-base streak to 19 games.

The Power will continue the four game series against Augusta Thursday night. The Power will start left hander Zach Braddock (3-1, 1.30) and the GreenJackets will counter with right hander Adam Cowart (7-2, 1.84). The first pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM (6:05 Central).

Quote:
The Brewers have failed miserably in recent years of developing pitchers drafted in that 4th-10th round range, with nearly all flaming out before reaching AA.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to that guy from Rice that the Brewers got in one of those rounds a couple years back? I remember some people thought he looked pretty good and had a shot to be as good as Rice's big 3. I guess he hasn't panned out?

I remember some people thought he looked pretty good and had a shot to be as good as Rice's big 3. I guess he hasn't panned out?

Joe, his MLB.com draft scouting video was much more impressive than Wade Townsend, Philip Humber, and Jeff Niemann. Josh Baker didn't throw as hard, but his mechanics were smoother. When I spoke with Jeff Niemann in November, he said Josh Baker was recovering nicely from arm surgery, and swore that his arm felt better than it had at any time since his Junior year of High School! Interesting since he had a solid career at Rice despite pitching with some discomfort those 3 years.

I don't recall the Brewers releasing Baker, so I assume they're just being patient. He's got a good arm. Hopefully we'll see him soon.

Quote:
Joe, his MLB.com draft scouting video was much more impressive than Wade Townsend, Philip Humber, and Jeff Niemann. Josh Baker didn't throw as hard, but his mechanics were smoother. When I spoke with Jeff Niemann in November, he said Josh Baker was recovering nicely from arm surgery, and swore that his arm felt better than it had at any time since his Junior year of High School! Interesting since he had a solid career at Rice despite pitching with some discomfort those 3 years.

Cool, thanks for the info. Let's hope he can stay injury free and show what he can do.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Braun is slugging .726 now. Yipes.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived