Brewer Fanatic

08/31/2007: Pirates (Armas) at Brewers (Gallardo), 7:05 PM

hawing

Part of the argument with Gallardo is that not all innings are created equal. Thus a 7th inning in the hottest part of August, with runners on and the team needing a win, is likely to be more stressful than an inning in mid-May. It seems like the 'marginal stress' of those last two batters are more than one might guess from a simple uptick of .2 in the IP. And, not to speak for anyone, but so many Brewers fans see ghosts of Neugie, Nieves, Eldred and Hill whenever a promising young pitcher appears. And JM Gold. And Mike Jones. Etcetera. It'd be nice to keep this guy for a while.

Still, nice pitching in a pinch by Yo.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice pitching by Gallardo. I really hope we don't end up paying a big price for using him as much as we are this year.
They are not. His innings are still in the safe zone.

There are no real plans to remove him from the rotation though, I don't think. With Cappy in the pen and Vargas injured (and awful), Gallardo will probably continue to start. If that is the case, they really might want to consider monitoring him a little more closely. I don't know if he should be going 7 IP, 100 pitches much more. He's had some rough starts lately, and innings like the one he just pitched are going to be especially tough on a young pitcher. He really had to bear down for pitches 80-96. I'm probably a little over-protective of our young pitchers, but stuff like that gets me concerned.

Dear Brewers,

I go to Sunday and Monday's game. I would really appreciate if you guys win tomorrow and also somehow make sure the Cubs lose. It might set up some spectacular games for me and I promise to take back all the bad things I've said about you this year if you do.

Thanks,

rluzinski

Archived