Brewer Fanatic

Jeffress Suspended for drug use - new info?

chowyo123
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They often have people driving nice cars get arrested in undercover stings...they stick out like sore thumbs, in a shiny car in front of abandoned buildings.

I would think that a "great mind" would have someone pick up their drugs for them to layer them from the deal, or have it delivered. I've known plenty of people with nice cars that pretty much have nothing else going for them than a nice car.

To be honest, I don't know many potheads who would qualify as a "great mind", and certainly no use using drugs more harmful would.

Jack Kerouac, Hunter S Thompson, and William S Burroughs all used marijuana, not to mention dozens of other drugs. All are considered great minds. Freud certainly had his problems heroin and cocaine. And their are countless "great minds" who are and/or were alcoholics.

Heck, even Norm Coleman, who you are a huge fan of, has admitted to using marijuana.

I still contend that this doesn't have anything to do with anyone's stance on marijuana. Jeffress got caught for using an illegal substance and is now paying the price, a priced that has weighed heavily on players in similiar situations in the past. It will slow and hurt his development time, just like Salome, taking precious time away from him to get better on the field (and even how long it will take him from reaching the big leagues), and why more people aren't at least a little pissed off by this is a little surprising to me.

Al would be shocked to know how many really smart people are occasional drug users.

Tons of academics do it (probably moreso in the humanities than hard sciences). It shouldn't be any surprise at all that people who spend their entire lives on college campuses use pot. Many of those people are pretty free spirited and hippy-ish. Especially people in literature, I'd actually be surprised to learn that one of them was not at one time a regular pot user. I've seen some very humorous moments at conferences where PhD's were passing grass around during parties at night.

The last guy to ask me for pot was a priest, 54 years old. I know a judge that lights up every other day before court. Lets not stereotype too much. I haven't smoked for 22 years, and yet a ton of people ask me if I can get any? I guess being bald and uptight is the new hippie.http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smokin.gif

• 1 month later...

Jeffress has failed yet another drug test, agh!!!

Jeffress fails another drug test

By Tom Haudricourt
Monday, Oct 29 2007, 11:16 AM

Denver - The Brewers won't confirm it on the record because it is a sensitive, internal issue, but apparently pitching prospect Jeremy Jeffress has failed another drug test.

Jeffress already is serving a 50-game suspension that carries well into the 2008 season for failing a drug test administered according to the Minor League Drug Treatment and Prevention program late in the '07 season. Players are suspended 50 games for a first offense, 100 games for a second and banned for life for a third failed test.

It was announced that Jeffress tested positive for a "drug of abuse." The specific drug was not identified by baseball but I've been told by people familiar with the situation that Jeffress has been caught using marijuana more than once.

The club-administered test that Jeffress failed during the fall instructional league program in Arizona does not fall under the auspices of the minor league drug program. Thus, it's up to the club to apply any disciplinary measures it feels is appropriate.

Asked about that situation Sunday before Game 4 of the World Series, Brewers general manager Doug Melvin said, "That's confidential."

Melvin did not deny that Jeffress failed a drug test. Instead, he said, "He is working with our EAP program."

The team's Employee Assistance Program is designed to help players with all sorts of problems, including drug use. Melvin said there had been no discussion yet as to whether the Brewers would add to the 50-game suspension already put into effect according to the minor league drug program.

Jeffress, 20, was the Brewers' first-round draft pick in 2006 out of high school in South Boston, Va. With a fastball that often approached 100 mph, he performed well at low Class A West Virginia this year, going 9-5 with a 3.13 ERA, with 95 strikeouts in 86 1/3 innings.

Because of Jeffress' apparent marijuana problem, his future with the Brewers remains clouded. He obviously is a very talented player with a high ceiling. But he has to decide if he wants to smoke pot or play baseball. You can't do both.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2007/10/29/jeffress-fails-another-drug-test.aspx

So does that mean he's out 150 games now?

Only if the organization chooses to suspend him for an additional 100 games. From above:

The club-administered test that Jeffress failed during the fall instructional league program in Arizona does not fall under the auspices of the minor league drug program. Thus, it's up to the club to apply any disciplinary measures it feels is appropriate.

Haudricourt puts it best right at the end. This young man needs to decide what is more important to him, being high, or using his God-given gifts to do something most of us would give most of our digits/limbs for. And this has nothing to do with your stance on marijuana and how it is perceived.

They need to make Jeffress listen to "Beacause I Got High" on repeat. If that doesn't get him off the dope, I don't know what will. Stupid career move, to say the least.

Actually, maybe this is ingenious. Jeffress can puff, puff, pass his way right through the prime injury matrix for young pitchers.

what a real waste. Its easy to excuse who just signed a big league contract and is only 18. Once you are suspended to do it again while you are suspended, is Rickey Williams-eske. Seems to me this may be a wasted first round pick. Hopefully he can turn himself around. He has so much talent.

Because of Jeffress' apparent marijuana problem, his future with the Brewers remains clouded.
I really hate how these kids get all of the money in signing bonuses and then go out and do stupid crap like this. What a waste of talent...

Also, of course his future with the Brewers remains clouded...his ability to stay clean enough to play baseball remains clouded.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Because of Jeffress' apparent marijuana problem, his future with the Brewers remains clouded.

I know it wasn't meant to be but that's a pretty good pun right there.

Does anybody know if a 20 year old will get the whole "This is your brain, this is your brain on drugs thing"? All you need is an egg and a frying pan.

Somebody has got to get to this kid. First, don't take drugs that stay in the blood stream--I'd suggest coke or heroine. Second, the Brewers have to figure out how to save guys from themselves, because if they get rid of him, someone else will pick him up, and after he wins 150 to 200 games in the majors we'll be kicking ourselves because the counselling we have sucks.

I hope they just cut him.

It's pretty obvious he isn't going to ever pitch in the majors. If he didn't get it the first time he won't get it now. Can't wait to read the story where he claims he's being picked on and what the reason is.

Talent only gets you so far. You have to have at least a small amount of intelligence to get to the majors.

Remember the Simpson's episode where the family was going into the witness protection program and they kept asking Homer his new name and he kept replying Homer over and over instead of his new name. I think Jeffress could have been a shoe in for the part.

Archived