Brewer Fanatic

Jeffress Suspended for drug use - new info?

chowyo123

I didn't see this posted yet, and am really bummed to have to read about it.

Right-hander Jeremy Jeffress, the Brewers' first-round draft pick in 2006, has been suspended for 50 games for using a drug of abuse in violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
JSonline

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Suspended for Marijuana? That's lame. I can't believe they would suspend a player for smoking Marijuana. It's hardly dangerous. The only thing Marijuana has against it is it's illegal. The NBA doesn't test for Marijuana. I believe other leagues don't enforce rules regarding it either. It's weed, not heroin or something.

Suspended for Marijuana? That's lame. I can't believe they would suspend a player for smoking Marijuana. It's hardly dangerous. The only thing Marijuana has against it is it's illegal. The NBA doesn't test for Marijuana. I believe other leagues don't enforce rules regarding it either. It's weed, not heroin or something.

Its could be something other than marijuana. They said he was suspended for using a drug of abuse in violation of the minor league drug prevention and treatment program. They didn't say which one. Honestly though, I'd much rather it be marijuana than anything else.

Yeah Hammer, you should probably have read the article first, as they don't single out any specific drug, and it could very well be 'heroin or something' for all we know.

That said, steroids, now illegal drugs.... I'm fully expecting one of our other top prospects to test positive for bull tranquilizers sometime yet this year. Ugh.

My own personal fandom policy is to allow a guy a 2nd chance, so I'm willing to cut him a break. Maybe the 50 games off will mean something to him.

My policy doesn't have room for any 3rd chances though, so Mr. Jeffress, you are on warning. One more slip up and I'll be calling for you to remove the uniform of my beloved team.

This whole "investing of our personal time and emotion on the success of baseball players who happen to have contracts from our local team" thing is strictly entertainment, and a way to pass the time. None of it really matters in the whole scheme of our lives, and I will not cheer for someone who makes a habit of being a societal loser.

My own personal fandom policy is to allow a guy a 2nd chance, so I'm willing to cut him a break. Maybe the 50 games off will mean something to him.

My policy doesn't have room for any 3rd chances though, so Mr. Jeffress, you are on warning. One more slip up and I'll be calling for you to remove the uniform of my beloved team.

This doesn't seem that fair. Being a drug addict is not like being a wife-beater or rapist or whatever. I have some empathy for Jeffress and I hope he can get his life together. Hopefully it is just weed and not something more serious like cocaine or heroin.

That said, i too am very disappointed by this. The Brewers two best (non-MLB) prospects are now suspended. That isn't cool.

2 of my top 3 favorites out for 50 games? I don't like 2007 anymore.

The big club better win today, that's all I have to say about that...

as far as investing time and emotion.... some of us, like myself for example, invested money too..

I have 14 Bowman Sterling Refractor autographs #'d to /199, 10 Reg. Sterling autographs, 3 Gold Aflac Refractors, and a huge stack of lower end chromes. The going rate yesterday would have been over $1000 dollars, today I lost a little bit of money.

I have the second chance policy too, and it would be easy for me to overlook this if it was weed.. but even then, it gives me questions about his makeup. If you have a job that drugtests, especially a high profile job like this one, just don't do drugs man!!

just a question.... should this not be in the major league forum ? this is big news is it not ? and its buried in the minor league forum because he is in the minors. thats kind of like putting big news on page 2 in the paper so no one sees it. just my opinion of course...

boy is he ever going to have a long labor day weekend....that last until may

I think it's pretty well known The Ignitor had problems with weed and a certain white powdery stuff early in his career (in those days, who didn't...), so it's not like this is the ultimate death sentence for his "character" as a baseball player. Also, I think most people will agree that relatively speaking, weed is not that harmful of a drug.

However, the main reasons for an athlete not to take the drug are good ones...1) It's illegal and will get you in to trouble, 2) The "motivation" factor, which for a lot of people is lost due to smoking pot. Ditto if Jeffress was using anything else...

Dear, Jeremy, don't be stupid again. Thanks.

Edit: One more thing.- - - "Being a drug addict is not like being a wife-beater or rapist or whatever." - True, but it sounds like we might just be talking about weed here, which is shown to be less addictive than caffeine.

Very dissapointing.

We obviously aren't giving our top draft choices an intelligence test before we draft them. Let's see I could make millions in the big leagues with my talent or I could use some illegal drugs for a few minutes of fun with my buddies which could get me suspended and end up ultimately costing me a career. I don't care if it's Marijuano or Heroin ultimately it's illegal and all these guys know it. They also know they can be tested. Hmm. Pump gas for a living or toss baseballs around. Hard choice. Multi million dollar talent and a ten cent head.

Kind of disappointing. I had envisioned a rapid rise for Jeffress next year, topped off by him joining the Crews bullpen for the playoff run.

Too bad. Hopefully he straightens out whatever the cause of this was and returns ready for business after the suspension.

I don't think this is as disapointing as you all make it seem. He's a 19 year old kid who is probably 3 or 4 years from deeing any kind of Major League action. This is another learning experience for him. I don't think this is even that bad for him. People make mistakes. Unless there is a second violation, which would be cause for major concern, I don't mind this very much.

I don't care if it's Marijuano or Heroin ultimately it's illegal and all these guys know it.

For me it's not the drugs themselves as much as the indication that the guy is a complete idiot. I don't care whatsoever about 90% of people smoking pot (excluding those who are in a position to put others at risk), and view it in the same class as getting drunk. However, when you're in a position where you know you'll be tested and you know it's forbidden and do it anyway, it really shows that you're stupid, and one drug isn't that much better or worse than another, as all indicate an equal level of stupidity. Seriously, you're a #1 draft pick trying to make it to the bigs and you can't go out of your way to find a legal way to catch a buzz?

Archived