Brewer Fanatic

8/30/07 Brewers (Parra) vs. Cubs (Lilly): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
Yeah, I got nothin'. My hope is that Yost will give an explanaition so obvious that nne of us can think of it. I don't suspect that is going to be the case however. I suppose the good news is that chances are good they still woudl have lost, but not sure they took their best shot.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The bunt was the right call, getting the tying runs in position for Braun and Fielder was absolutely the best play there. The Mench thing obviously made him look like a fool again.

If Ned is so by-the-book old school to subscribe religiously to the "no closer on the road without a lead" rule... he has to in the same right go by the "go for the win on the road" rule...

inconsistent.he can't selectively pick and choose chapters of that book.

why mench, WHY!!??

Since you want to defend yourself with stats, Ned, Estrada is hitting over .400 against Dempster, just FYI. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

This is ridiculous, apparently Jenkins 4-17 against Dempster is worse than Mench being 0-1, though with a .215 against righties overall.

I wonder if that 4-17 is even official.

He never has real answers it seems, thats as close as it gets, everything else has alot of "you knows"

I can understand the bunt call, but I just vehemently disagree with it.

Dempster was clearly struggling with command. Given that, there was probably a much better chance that either Hardy was going to walk or get a chance to pound a mistake in the zone than there was a chance that he'd hit into a DP. Even if he Ks or flies out, you still hvae big hitters coming up who will likely have the same chance at walk or mistake.

All the bunt did was give up an out, and open a base for Fielder to be walked if Braun could be gotten (which had been more common lately).

The bunt virtually gave up a chance at a big inning for what was probably only a marginally better chance at a 2 run inning.

This is ridiculous, apparently Jenkins 4-17 against Dempster is worse than Mench being 0-1, though with a .215 against righties overall.

I wonder if that 4-17 is even official.

He never has real answers it seems, thats as close as it gets, everything else has alot of "you knows"

Jenkins is like 4-17 or 4-18. I looked it up. He does have a HR and an .864 OPS against Demp, though

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

BrewCityUnit,

I agree with what you said. I was watching the game with Diane Schoenfeld at a local saloon, she was pretty tanked, and she even said the same thing. It just bothers me that Prince seems to strand a lot of runners on third with less than two outs. I understand that the Cubs had a runner on third with no out and didn't get him in but I would expect a MVP candidate to do this The Reds game a couple of Sundays ago the same thing happened. Anyone have Prince's percentage this year on driving in the runner from third?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

You can't say that Prince strands runners at third with less than two out.

With a man on third and less than two outs this year he is batting .333/.351/.1084 - in 30 ABs not enough to judge him one way or the other.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Blaming this on yost is just about as crazy as you can make it. We are setting it up for our two best hitters and even if one is walked you have to like your chances. I am sick of the excuses and everything put on yost. For once a player can be blames or maybe we just didnt get the hit we needed in a big situation. I don't see anyway that the bunt was a bad situation and I am really wondering how some question it. No matter what happens this stuff is going to come up and losing only promotes bashing of someone.

Like most of you I could go either way on the bunt. I might not have down 2, but liked it more down just one. That said the Mench thing...it is just crazy. Oh, and thanks Kevin for swinging AT THE FIRST PITCH!!!!

...sigh...

Blaming this on yost is just about as crazy as you can make it. We are setting it up for our two best hitters and even if one is walked you have to like your chances. I am sick of the excuses and everything put on yost. For once a player can be blames or maybe we just didnt get the hit we needed in a big situation. I don't see anyway that the bunt was a bad situation and I am really wondering how some question it. No matter what happens this stuff is going to come up and losing only promotes bashing of someone.

I certainly agree arguing with the Hardy bunt is silly. That is no where near as cut and dried as those who like to believe Yost created cancer would like it to be since we lost the game. Had Hardy hit into a DP, that would have been Yost's fault too. Like any other loss, the players didn't get it done throughout the game...A ball lost in the lights, stranded runners, 2 mistake pitches...the list goes on. However, I don't think it is out of line at all to criticize sending Mench up there. That's a head scratcher to be sure. Would the Brewers have won if we had a pinch hitter there? No, they probably still would have lost, but it seems as if they would have given themselves a better chance.

I have been a Yost supporter all along, and I was having a really hard time imagining a circumstance where he could be fired at the end of the year. But if he can't give Mark A any better answers as to why Mench was batting than he gave in his interview, he might just get the hook--and possibly deserve it as well. All I can say and hope is, Please God do not promote Kremblas, please!
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Archived