Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Sun 5/27 - Power's Ramlow Takes Shot on Knee

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sunday's Daily Menu:

All times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Nashville: RHP Yo Gallardo at Albuquerque (Marlins), 6:50 PM pre-game; 7:05 gametime

Audio link:

www.nashvillesounds.com/listenlive/

Huntsville: LHP Lindsay Gulin at Mobile (Diamondbacks), 5:50 pre-game; 6:00 PM gametime

Audio link:

www.huntsvillestars.com/

Brevard County: TBD at home vs. Sarasota (Reds), 11:50 AM pre-game, 12:00 PM gametime; it'll probably be LHP David Welch

Audio link (game will also archive at this link):

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../audio.jsp

West Virginia: LHP Mike Ramlow at home vs. Greenville (Red Sox), 12:55 PM pre-game, 1:05 gametime

Audio link (game will also archive at this link):

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../audio.jsp

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Follow Sunday's action as it happens:

Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Window". Open the Nashville Gameday. For the others, choose "Log". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often.

Nashville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_albaaa_1

Huntsville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_mobaax_1

Brevard County:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_breafa_1

West Virginia:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_wvaafx_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

These links will be included in each daily report when the Nashville Sounds and/or Huntsville Stars are scheduled to play. Normally they are updated an hour or two prior to gametime, with Nashville's usually earlier:

Nashville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

www.nashvillesounds.com/pdf/notes.pdf

Huntsville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

www.huntsvillestars.com/i...eNotes.pdf

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Standings through Saturday's action:
 Pacific Coast League (AAA) - PCL American North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Iowa 27 21 .563 - 15-7 12-14 W1 Nashville 26 23 .531 1.5 15-8 11-15 W1 Omaha 24 25 .490 3.5 20-10 4-15 L1 Memphis 23 27 .460 5.0 15-9 8-18 L3 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Southern League (AA) - SOU North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Huntsville 25 22 .532 - 13-12 12-10 W2 Tennessee 25 22 .532 - 10-12 15-10 W1 West Tenn 23 26 .469 3.0 14-10 9-16 W4 Chattanooga 20 29 .408 6.0 12-13 8-16 L5 Carolina 19 31 .380 7.5 11-14 8-17 W1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Florida State League (A+) - FSL East Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brevard County 31 18 .633 - 18-6 13-12 W4 Palm Beach 27 22 .551 4.0 13-12 14-10 W1 Vero Beach 23 26 .469 8.0 17-11 6-15 W1 Daytona 22 26 .458 8.5 13-8 9-18 L1 Jupiter 20 29 .408 11.0 8-16 12-13 L1 St. Lucie 20 29 .408 11.0 10-15 10-14 W2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- South Atlantic League (A) - SAL Northern Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- West Virginia 31 15 .674 - 16-10 15-5 W1 Greensboro 29 20 .592 3.5 17-7 12-13 W2 Lakewood 24 22 .522 7.0 11-13 13-9 W1 Lake County 22 26 .458 10.0 12-13 10-13 L1 Hagerstown 22 27 .449 10.5 12-12 10-15 W3 Lexington 22 27 .449 10.5 12-15 10-12 L1 Delmarva 20 27 .426 11.5 11-12 9-15 L3 Hickory 19 27 .413 12.0 8-11 11-16 L1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

www.al.com/stars/huntsvil...amp;coll=1

Covering the bases

Mark McCarter, Huntsville Times

This time a year ago, Corey Thurman was pitching his way to the Southern League All-Star Game. It was the continuation of a wonderful comeback story for a former big leaguer who had undergone surgery and found himself, if not in total oblivion, at least within walking distance.

He pitched with guile and elegance, if not major league velocity. He worked out ferociously to regain his arm strength and, in turn, his speed.

After pitching in winter ball in Venezuela, he was invited to the Brewers' big league camp. However, he worked only six innings. He hadn't had enough work to start the season in full gear. Then came food poisoning.

"My arm feels like it's getting there, slowly but surely. I'm just now basically rounding into shape as far as the arm," said Thurman, who pointed to his winter in Venezuela "against higher level competition" as being a boost to his confidence. ...

Thurman had no complaints about being back in a big league camp. "I enjoyed spring training, to sit around and enjoy the team up there (first-place Brewers) that's doing such a great job. And I know why. They've got a great team unit." ...

Pitcher Mike Jones, who suffered an elbow strain, has returned to Arizona to the Brewers' headquarters there, for rehab. ... Without Jones, the Stars have the oddity of five left-handers in the starting rotation. ... Twice more Milwaukee showed itself less-than-patient with free-agent acquisitions. Outfielder-third baseman Mike Carlin was let go when Drew Anderson was demoted from Nashville and pitcher Luis Villarreal, who had been in independent ball since 2004, was cut when Luis Pena was promoted. ... Previously, catcher Max St. Pierre (since resigned to extended spring training as a pitcher) and outfielder Ulyses Davenport were released. ...

Though injuries might necessitate other moves, few roster changes should be expected until the halfway point of the season in mid-June. ... The Stars staff won't get a break this year when the Southern League All-Star Game rolls around. Manager Don Money, pitching coach Rich Sauveur, hitting coach Sandy Guerrero and trainer Dave Yeager will serve as the staff for the SL North All-Stars, courtesy of Huntsville's runner-up finish in the league in '06.

Around the league

A couple of Stars would be no-brainers were the All-Star team to be picked today. Catcher Lou Palmisano, pitcher Manny Parra and outfielder Steve Moss would seem likely picks. Here are some other candidates:

Tennessee C Jason Fox, Jacksonville 1B John Lindsey, Mobile 2B Javier Brito, Jacksonville SS Chin Lung Hu, Montgomery 3B Evan Longoria and OFs Matt Esquivel of Mississippi, Thomas Collaro of Birmingham and Josh Kroeger of Tennessee. ...

Imagine going 4-for-4 - then being lifted for a pinch-hitter. That happened Wednesday to Tennessee's Issmael Salas, who had a homer, double and two singles to help the Smokies out to a 14-0 lead after four innings. He was given the rest of the night off, and Jacksonville came back to make it "close," with a 16-11 final. ... Matthew Maniscalco, an Oxford native, was a solid player for Montgomery's league championship team. However, he voluntarily retired last week from Triple-A Durham. His father, Charlie, was a well-known football coach in central Alabama, including a stint at Jacksonville State. Matt was the first player honored as Alabama's Mr. Baseball, when the award was introduced in 1999.

Brewings

Triple-A Nashville Sounds (25-23 before Saturday's play, second place in Pacific Coast League American Division): C Vinny Rotinno batted 2-for-4 in a 5-4 loss to Albuquerque on Friday.

Single-A Brevard County Manatees (30-18, first in Florida State East Division): Alcides Escobar .306.

Single-A West Virginia Power (30-15, first in South Atlantic League Northern Division this half): Chuckie Caufield .317, 31 RBIs.

On Deck

The Stars end their series at Mobile today, then host Montgomery for five games beginning Monday. It's the Biscuits' only trip to Huntsville this year. All games are at 7:05 except for Wednesday's 12:05 start.

Is this really true, or just a reflection of the state of the system?:

"Twice more Milwaukee showed itself less-than-patient with free-agent acquisitions. Outfielder-third baseman Mike Carlin was let go when Drew Anderson was demoted from Nashville and pitcher Luis Villarreal, who had been in independent ball since 2004, was cut when Luis Pena was promoted. ... Previously, catcher Max St. Pierre (since resigned to extended spring training as a pitcher) and outfielder Ulyses Davenport were released. ... "

I don't quite get the less-than-patient comment within the context of how well all the teams in the system are doing. Why be patient when there are legit replacement candidates available?

Villanueva would take that start, without a doubt. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to call up Gallardo for a spot start.

I don't think it's an issue, though. I read this morning that Sheets is probably going to start on Tuesday.

I don't think it's an issue, though. I read this morning that Sheets is probably going to start on Tuesday.

yes, but if Villanueva is called on to pitch today or tomorrow, and Ben's blister recurs during warmups, then what? I would assume that they'll have a backup plan just in case. I remember back in the mid 90s they used to have Steve Sparks up several times per year, but not activated. Same went for Ben Hendrickson his rookie year

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Sarasota (Reds) 4, Brevard County 1

Brevard County Box Score:

Manatees bats quiet, although seven hits (all singles) and two walks can often produce more than one run, as was the case here; coming back from Tommy John surgery, today's three-inning stint for Vince Perkins may have been his best this season...

Brevard County Game Log:

Alcides Escobar on third base with no outs in the 3rd, doesn't score - ugh; Brevard never really threatened after that...

As of now I would think Brantley profiles perfectly as a backup in the big leagues. He supposedly is fast and good defensively at both 1b and in the OF. He draws walks, doesn't strikeout, and is developing at least some signs of power.

Plate discipline is the only issue I see as a problem at this point Brewer, he's still K-ing at a pretty high rate. 61 SO in 44 games for him thus far, with 12 BB.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

you know, those numbers aren't great for Brent, but i still think they are a lot better than many expected...

i think he'll cut the strikeouts down as the year goes along and he may even walk at a higher rate as his batting average continues to rise...

brewer's really a heckuva prospect...he's exceeded all expectations for this year...

I'm with you on that Pogo... he's still nearing man crush status for me.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: West Virginia 5, Greenville (Red Sox) 4

Team Dream to the Extreme pulls out another one...

West Virginia Bottom 8th

- Pitcher Change: Josh Papelbon replaces Travis Beazley.

- Darren Ford singles on a ground ball to pitcher Josh Papelbon.

- Brent Brewer out on a sacrifice bunt, pitcher Josh Papelbon to first baseman Lars Anderson. Darren Ford to 2nd.

- Michael Brantley doubles (12) on a line drive to center fielder Jason Place. Darren Ford scores.

- With Chuck Caufield batting, Michael Brantley steals (15) 3rd base.

- Chuck Caufield flies out to center fielder Jason Place.

- Andrew Lefave walks.

- Jimmy Mojica singles on a line drive to right fielder Josh Reddick. Michael Brantley scores. Andrew Lefave to 2nd.

- Stephen Chapman flies out to center fielder Jason Place.

West Virginia Box Score:

Ground ball machine E.J. Shanks works some of his usual worm-killing magic in the 9th to save it; J.T. King gets an inning in -- is he still part of the rotation mix in Zach Braddock's absence?

West Virginia Game Log:

Another treat of a game for the Charleston fans -- the Brewers building up a lot of goodwill -- that will come in handy at the end of 2008 when it's time to re-up in a ballpark and climate the organization is thrilled with...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

West Virginia Site Game Summary:

POWER COME BACK TO BEAT DRIVE

Greenville Drive scored four runs in the third inning to take a 4-0 lead on Sunday afternoon at Appalachian Power Park but West Virginia scored the last five runs of the game to take the third game of the series by the final of 5-4.

The Drive scored four runs on six hits and sent eight batters to the plate in the third inning to take a 4-0 lead. Manny Arambarris and Reid Engel both ripped RBI singles and Lars Anderson doubled in the other two runs.

West Virginia began their comeback in the fourth inning when Chuckie Caufield put them on the board with a sacrifice fly. In the sixth inning Andrew Lefave hit a towering two-run homer, his third of the season, to bring the Power within a run. In the eighth inning, Michael Brantley doubled in Darren Ford to tie the game, and Brantley scored the go-ahead run later in the inning on Jimmy Mojica?s two-out single.

J.T. King (5-1) tossed a scoreless eighth inning to get the win, E.J. Shanks (7) got the save and Josh Papelbon (2-1) was tagged with the loss after surrendering two on three hits over an inning. Travis Wendte provided two and two thirds scoreless innings of relief for the Power.

The Power improved to 32-15 with the win and the Drive fell to 20-29 with the loss. Brantley, Mojica and Lefave all had two hits for the Power.

The Power will finish the four game series against Greenville Monday afternoon. The Power will start right hander Mike McClendon (4-1, 2.08) and the Drive will counter with left hander Felix Doubront (0-1, 11.25). The first pitch is scheduled for 1:05 PM (12:05 Central).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

MiLB.com Brevard County Game Notes:

Griffin, Szymanski sink Manatees

Michael Griffin went 3-for-5 with two RBIs and B.J. Szymanski smacked a two-run homer to lead Sarasota over host Brevard County, 4-1, on Sunday.

Griffin smacked RBI singles in the fifth and ninth innings, both times plating Chris Kroski as the Reds snapped the Manatees' four-game win streak.

Szymanski belted a home run, his fourth, with Adam Rosales aboard in the second for Sarasota (33-17). Starter Logan Ondrusek (4-2) allowed one run on five hits while striking out two and walking two over six innings for the win. Josh Roenicke worked around one hit in the ninth en route to his 15th save, tops in the Florida State League.

Brevard County starter David Welch (1-2) gave up three runs on five hits while fanning three and walking one over five innings for the loss.

Michael Bell drove in a run with a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the first for the Manatees (31-19). Alcides Escobar chipped in two hits. -- Alan Friedman/MLB.com

I'm not used to Yovani getting into trouble like that!

taken out after 5.2 IP, bases loaded, walkin people in,

I'm going to pretend it never happened.

I'll keep his 8K's in mind though

Archived