Brewer Fanatic

Suggestion: Pitch Sheets on 3 days rest (also: Cubs 4-man rotation)

owbc

Sheets is 5-14 with a 4.30 ERA against the Cardinals and 8-3 with a 4.80 ERA against the Braves. The move leaves us with Bush/Vargas, Suppan, and Villanueva throwing against the Cardinals and puts Ben in a position to be able to possibly throw an inning or two on 2 days rest in a tiebreaker game, which most likely would be started by Villanueva on full rest, Gallardo on 3 days rest, or Capuano/Vargas.

Suppan looks to be the guy who will pitch game 162. It would be ironic if it came down to that game, although I'd be really nervous, lol.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Speculating here, but just read the article on the game by McCalvy and it said Suppan was fighting a headcold tonight while pitching. Couple that with some people saying they saw Ben put down his glove and cap after each of the first few innings yesterday, I don't think it would be a stretch to say Ben could have been under the weather and maybe that affected his performance.

Given all that, and the fact that I'm still happy about the win tonight, I'm willing to forgive yesterday's start and let him do his mulligan on Tuesday.

I'm still trying to figure why Yost flip-flopped Suppan and Sheets going into the Reds series. Suppan's been solid down the stretch and it was his turn on Friday. Moving Sheets up one day even though it was on 4 days rest was not going to allow an extra start for him later on. Maybe Sheets could have used that extra day between his start the previous Sunday and Friday.

I had a strong feeling one reason Yost got Sheets out of the game Friday so early was to bring him back quicker. The only possible obvious benefit is to delay Bush's next start by a day. I'm not sure what exactly that accomplishes either.

Otherwise Yost is trying to set up his rotation for the playoffs or a one game playoff vs. the Cubs. I suppose now that Ben is on a Tuesday/Sunday/Thursday schedule, he'd be able to pitch a playoff opener or be available against the Cubs even if on short rest.

Moving Sheets up one day even though it was on 4 days rest was not going to allow an extra start for him later on.

It allows him to pitch twice on normal rest in the first round of the playoffs, however (game #2 and #5). I'm glad to know that someone is paying attention.

The idea that pitching is more important than offense during a playoff run and in the playoffs has got me pretty confused anyway.
Yeah I always get confused by that too. I guess the argument is that offensive production can be more inconsistant so if you have good pitching, that will keep your team in every game. Let's hope Sheets pitches his mind out on Tuesday. We're gonna need every good start we can get from our pitchers.

If we moved Sheets to 4-days rest at this point, would we not in fact get one extra start out of him by the end of the year? By my calculations, he would pick up a start versus the Cards. Granted, as Russ indicates, this would mean only one start in first round of playoffs, but too me the most important thing is to get there this year, to break that playoff seal. Plus, I would not mind Suppan getting two starts in the playoffs. He's the only one with ps experience.

That [woud] be absolutely foolish when we are talking about Gallardo and Villanueva, whom are already being pushed to their limits and beyond this season.

I disagree, there are only 10 games left. 10 games!! So squeezing another 6-7 innings out of Carlos or Yo during the next week is foolish? No man, letting Matt Wise loose the game on 9/19/2007 is foolish. I don't think either of these pitchers have been pushed beyond their limits. We'll all be able to reflect more clearly on the 9/19/07 game in about 1 1/2 weeks.

Cubs are only doing a four man because they have off days

Very true, but we are talking about 10 games (at the time there were 11 left to be started). Also, off days are nice now that the Cubs are experiencing them, but Lilly, Trachel, and Z have all gone on 3 days rest in the past week. The 4-man started a week ago, before the off days kicked in.

Very true, but we are talking about 10 games (at the time there were 11 left to be started). Also, off days are nice now that the Cubs are experiencing them, but Lilly, Trachel, and Z have all gone on 3 days rest in the past week. The 4-man started a week ago, before the off days kicked in.

Honestly, I think having Gallardo and Villanueva start on 3 days rest would have more potential for blowing up in your face than anything. The track record for starting pitchers going on 3 days rest is not very good, and never mind the fact that neither of them have probably ever started on three days rest before. In the end you're probably better off just pitching a well rested Capuano or Vargas.

Honestly, I think having Gallardo and Villanueva start on 3 days rest would have more potential for blowing up in your face than anything. The track record for starting pitchers going on 3 days rest is not very good, and never mind the fact that neither of them have probably ever started on three days rest before. In the end you're probably better off just pitching a well rested Capuano or Vargas.

I would bet the farm that both Gallardo and Villanueva have started on 3 days rest. And IMO, I would take either on 3 days rest over a rested Vargas or a hasn't won since May Capuano any day, as long as the playoffs are in reach. Chances are, with the Cubs being as good as they are and the remaining schedule they have, its not going to be an issue. Yost can let Matt Wise start fan appreciation day, because they will most likely be toast by then anyway; therefore leaving this point completely moot.

How's that for positivity.?. just bracing for the crash landing folks, cause the plane is coming in at too steep of an angle and the pilot is watching cartoons.

I would bet the farm that both Gallardo and Villanueva have started on 3 days rest.

I think I would probably get your farm then. Pitchers in the minor leagues are generally handled with "kid gloves". I don't have the time to look it up now, but maybe somebody else does.

I think I would probably get your farm then. Pitchers in the minor leagues are generally handled with "kid gloves". I don't have the time to look it up now, but maybe somebody else does.

I would have your farm, because neither you nor I said anything about it having to be in the minor leagues.

Beginning with reply 36, posts above have been moved from the closer thread. They took off from this comment:
sheethead wrote:
The division leaders are throwing out a 4-man rotation for the stretch run, why can't we?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived