Brewer Fanatic

Lorenzo Cain = Tony Gwynn?

paul253

I was checking out the stats for BC today and noticed that of Lorenzo Cain's 49 hits, only 6 have been for extra bases. That equates to a .320 slugging percentage. He appears to be a good defender and has some speed to swipe bases. He strikes out about once every four at bats, but has a relatively low walk total. People seem to be pretty high on him, but whats the big difference between his game than that of Tony Gwynn Jr.?

EDIT - Removed excessive punctuation from subject line. Keep Brewerfan beautiful. - bta

Well Cain didn't really hit at all until the beginning of May, his BA was pretty terrible but he's been steadily improving. He's much younger and should develop more power as he moves up. He also hit 6 home runs in his first full season last year at WV, which isn't shabby for his age and the league. Gwynn only hit 8 home runs in his entire minor league career, I have no doubt that Cain will have more power than Gwynn.

I'd say mostly if you're looking at this year's stats it's a small sample perception problem. He just started to pick it up this year, and the power numbers should come back up as he continues to hit the ball well and regain his stroke.

edit - I didn't include rookie leauge stats for the homeruns, just A through AAA

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

lorenzo is being killed in space ccoast stadium...he's a line drive hitter with good power...he's got a low in common with someone like carl crawford, but it's hard to hit anything in the fsl...his slg. will be close to .400 by the end of the season, and close to .45o at huntsville next year...

Ford already has 4 homeruns this year. gwynns highest total in any year was 4 and that was last year. They seem to compare well to each other but Fords power numbers are a little better and he is faster from what i hear. i am no minor league expert and i am pretty new to the forum, but one of the guys in the minors that intrigues me is Ford because of his speed and his cut down on his strikeouts.

I've been to two Brewers games in the last week (Mon 3/21 at LA and Sun 3/27 at SD) in which Gwynn started. I have not seen either Ford or Cain play in person, however on Monday Gwynn hit the third hardest ball of any Brewer (other than Prince's 900 feet worth of HRs) and yesterday Gwynn hit the second hardest ball of any Brewer (next to Jenkins warning track fly). Both were line drives. Gwynn doesn't have an upper cut swing - he has a very level line-drive generating swing. But he hits the ball hard - just not for home runs.

Quote:
darren ford is more like kenny lofton...speed and power...i think darren could hit 20 homers in 600 ab's

For the moment this scares me a little, with Ford trying to cut down on the k's and find more contact. But it is a pretty interesting prospect if he can continue to progress in this manner. Thanks for the update Pogokat, I know you have seen him quite a bit these last 2 years.

Both were line drives. Gwynn doesn't have an upper cut swing - he has a very level line-drive generating swing. But he hits the ball hard - just not for home runs.

For the most part he has been hitting some solid liners, but he's also been hitting a lot of them where the CF, RF, 2b, and 1b never have to move. Hopefully he learns to wait back and find the gaps, or pull them more down the line.

Archived