Brewer Fanatic

expectations for Zack Jackson

DHonks

I remember TC questioning why I didn't have him ranked in my top 20-25 prospects in the offseason poll in January 2006, and it was because I was skeptical of another team parting with a pitcher. At the same time, lots here were in love with him and expecting big things. So after roughly 1 1/3 seasons of Zack Jackson, what are people's thoughts of him?

I see him as a potential long reliever, but that's about it. He seems to get some groundouts, but he lacks an overwhelming pitch

I don't have high expectations for him, and idn't then either. I wish we had Ty Taubenhiem back, but I won't complain too much, as Gross is better than I expected, making it a good trade anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Quote:
I see him as a potential long reliever, but that's about it. He seems to get some groundouts, but he lacks an overwhelming pitch

I concur with this assessment. I could maybe see him as a LOOGY though if he can develop an out pitch to use on lefties. He doesn't seem to have great stuff or great results so he'll be lucky to ever do much in the majors.

hmm, maybe a bullpen type, he's not dominant in any one way, his only asset is that he's a lefty.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I think he was overrated quite a bit when he got here...he's still not a bad pitching proespect...but his ceiling is probably lower than all 5 of the guys the brewers ahve starting right now...he's good insurance though

Quote:
Just a slightly lower ceiling than Eveland, but Zach does have a better body. He'll be a big leaguer, and quite possibly a SP for a while.

I'm curious why you think he's that good. His results in the minors have not been great and, by all accounts, his stuff is nothing special. Contrast that with Eveland who has dominated various levels of the minors, has a much better repertoire and is younger.

I'm thinking something along the line of what we saw from Wayne Franklin. I don't expect more, maybe less.

He's really only had one above average season: single A where he was older and more experienced than most of his opponents. His numbers in college were solid, but nothing too impressive. And in his professional career, he has never averaged 6 or more innings per start (including this year). The complete game this year was his first as a pro.

He does seem to be having some success against lefty opponents; maybe he would thrive as a situational guy...I think it's about time to consider that, or a trade.

So you're saying there's no chance he can even be an awful pitcher?

If Zach Jackson ever has a 3.03 ERA as a starter for a whole season, like Dessens did in 2002, I'd be pretty shocked. There's no way you can say 1000+ innings of 4.44 ERA pitching is terrible. If Zach Jackson did that, it would turn out to be a great pickup.

Archived