Brewer Fanatic

No discipline hitting!

RoseBowlMtg
How many times do we need to see Kendall raise his glove to know the pitch two strike pitch will be out of the strike zone? The scouting report on this team is in and why would anyone throw a strike to them when they're ahead of the count. Is this on Ski or the youth or are we just the most over aggressive ignorant offensive team around. My hope is it got so bad yesterday last night they will be smacked by the reality they need to pay attention to what's going on instead of just swinging from the heals. Tonight Day 2 of the most important game!

That hitting approach has plagued the Brewers for what seems like forever. Early in the season, they were laying back and patient at the plate. I guess it's easier when you're ahead. Now, they're not only swinging at everything, they're swing HARD. They've totally fallen into the homer or nothing mentality. I don't know who it's on anymore and at this point, I don't really care. It's probably a combination of coaching, youth and pressure. That team seems tighter than (insert analogy here--I can't think of one) from the manager down to the batboys--oh and fans too.

I love the avatar Hall4President. And I agree you'd think this would be a basic thing. They know you're aggresive, they're ahead in the count so they can waste a pitch and see if you chase and then you give them the easy K, groundout, popup whatever. It's so frustrating because you know it's coming and you know what's going to happen and you're powerless to prevent it from happening

Youthful over anxiousness, particularly the 1st time through the order. It's a lot easier to know something than to carry it out at the major league level. As for last night, it was a peculiar, to say the least, strike zone. The Brewers struck out 8 with a non-strikeout starter. Soup had the Cubs chasing too and got a lot of ground balls which is what he does best. The Cubs only walked once, the intentional to Ward.

Ennder I agree the ump was wild on the K zone but come on....we're talking about all the swings at balls being so high. It looked like an epidemic since so many Brewers went after those. Only the last one where Rickie looked was it close to a high K. That to me showed that maybe the team was realizing......hopefully.

Well it says to me they were guess swinging a lot. With Hill's nasty curve and the fact it didn't have to come close to the strike zone to be called a strike they were not in a good situation.

The team lacks discipline in general, I fully agree with you. Thats why our OBP is so low, too many guys who refuse to take walks.

So it's tough to guess when the catcher is raising his hand in the air. They guessed right, a high fastball with 2 K's on them. We guessed correctly and missed so two things went wrong...don't swing at it and if you do hit it! Hopefully they realize their mistakes and take it to Z tonight.

The only problem I have with hitting is no takes a strike when were down. How many 1-0 2-0 pitches were swung at yesterday and are 3-2 loss in Arizonia last wednesday that were absolutly horrible swings. I'm sorry I love JJ Hardy but when were down two and we need a runner and you swing at the 2-0 pitch that swing better be for a hit, and not a pop-up to Jacque Jones.

Gross' atbat was decent.

When you get 7 straight fastballs on the outside part of the plate, take a shot at left field. He tried to kill every pitch.

Everybody on this team (excluding Counsell) tries to hit the ball out of the park, just about every atbat.

We had a ton of 2-strike hits to the opposite field the first few weeks of the season. Nobody shortened their swing last night except JJ. Prince hit a bleeder the other way, only because he got jammed.

If they don't change that for tonight, they'll get shut out.

Ok, I can respect the oppo opinion, but in that situation, when he was on Howry so well, I want him to swing for the fences. We were down two, Gross was the go-ahead, and he had a real shot at going yard. In fact, although it won't fly well here (I'd imagine) he ended up missing a HR by a fraction of an inch. Yea, I know, he still missed it.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I wouldn't say they have zero discipline - just too little. Guys like Fielder, Weeks, Hall, and Gross typically work counts deep (as does Counsell when he plays). But when you have guys like Estrada and his 3.0 (!!!) P/PA or Mench at 3.3, the positives set forth by those guys get negated quite a bit.

All hitters suffer from over-aggressiveness at times, especially young ones. The core of this team is pretty much always going to K a lot and try to hit HR - that's what they do. It's not Skaalen's fault, the same as it wasn't Wynegar's fault.

Archived