Brewer Fanatic

Baseball 101

My girlfriend is trying really hard to learn a little bit about baseball. She has an extremely limited knowledge base to start from, so I really need to start almost from scratch.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to teach her the basics?

Teach her how to score a game from the stands....

It will give her something to do and allow you to show here something that you know how to do.

I think it will accellerate her learning..

Go basic at first.

Positions, players who play them.

Then, answer her questions as they come.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

OH, ok. This was a serious question - sorry about my sarcasm earlier.

I agree with all. The scoring suggestion is the best way - I remember learning how to score at a very early age and it really forces you to learn the game. After a few games, you'll have seen almost anything that you will in baseball (except for oddities like triple plays, etc.).

And, if she's scoring, you can be drinking Miller Lite.

Teaching her to score is a great suggestion.

She has the position players down. (I started with JJ Hardy and Ryan Braun for obvious reason's.)

She's an accountant, so I'm thinking of teaching her about some of the basic statistics.

Baseball basics or MLB basics?

If it's just baseball basics, I would recommend bringing her to a youth game(s) in your area. The game is much slower, you can see the entire field (as opposed to watching on TV) and you can explain the basic rules and situations as the game is going on and build on it as she gains an understanding. I wouldn't get into stats or scoring until she has at least a basic understanding of the game.

Archived