Brewer Fanatic

ARTICLE: Brewerfan.net Interviews Matt LaPorta

I'll have to second the comment of Matt being a class act.

While he was in Helena my 10 yo daughter asked him to autograph her bat.

I don't know where you would find a nicer guy - humble, very down to earth.

She was thrilled of course, he even thanked her for asking!

She has almost all of the Helena players now, and I have to say they are a pretty

nice bunch. No big egos or attitudes, good guys.

"Once we started losing it was like we tried to do too much, and you can't play baseball like that."

If LaPorta knows this already, can he please come guest speak up here in Milwaukee to relay the message? I am impressed with this guy already, sounds like he really appreciates the game itself and his ability to play it.

Great interview. BTW, the intro says he was selected in the 14th round in 2003 by the Cubs, but in the interview Patrick asks about being selected in the 14th round by the Red Sox. Error?
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Great interview. BTW, the intro says he was selected in the 14th round in 2003 by the Cubs, but in the interview Patrick asks about being selected in the 14th round by the Red Sox. Error?

He was selected out of high school in 2003 by the Cubs, then selected by the Red Sox in 2006 after his junior year of college.

Yup, Bob Brower is the former Ranger. Boras only hires former players to serve as his agents/representatives. That is one of their selling points, being able to relate to the players they represent a lot better than other agents/firms out there. Calvin Murray is another Boras agent that I crossed paths with this past year, a player whose career just ended a few short years ago.

This interview in particular took a long time to get approved. I talked to Matt while he was in Arizona, and within a few days he was sent to Helena and then to West Virginia a week or two after that. In other words, he's been busy.

Archived