Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Monday, May 28th

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The kids are doing fine, but maybe a ladies' touch will bring new karma to the big league Crew today.

If someone would photoshop Alyssa Milano into that Link Report shirt, I'd be grateful, although I doubt the mannequin torso does her justice http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif .

The image link is from our Brewerfan store:

images.cafepress.com/prod...Salmon.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Monday's Daily Menu: Please remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for us today.

All times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Nashville: LHP Zach Jackson at Albuquerque (Marlins), 2:20 PM pre-game; 2:35 gametime

Audio link:

www.nashvillesounds.com/listenlive/

Huntsville: LHP Sam Narron at home vs. Montgomery (Devil Rays), 6:55 PM pre-game; 7:05 gametime

Audio link:

www.huntsvillestars.com/

Brevard County: TBD at Daytona (Cubs), 4:55 PM pre-game, 5:05 gametime; it'll probably be LHP Derek Miller, it's his turn

Audio link (game will also archive at this link):

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../audio.jsp

West Virginia: RHP Mike McClendon at home vs. Greenville (Red Sox), 11:55 AM pre-game, 12:05 PM gametime

Audio link (game will also archive at this link):

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../audio.jsp

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Follow Monday's action as it happens:

Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Window". Open the Nashville Gameday. For the others, choose "Log". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often.

Nashville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_albaaa_1

Huntsville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_hunaax_1

Brevard County:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_dbcafa_1

West Virginia:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_wvaafx_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

These links will be included in each daily report when the Nashville Sounds and/or Huntsville Stars are scheduled to play. Normally they are updated an hour or two prior to gametime, with Nashville's usually earlier:

Nashville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

www.nashvillesounds.com/pdf/notes.pdf

Huntsville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

www.huntsvillestars.com/i...eNotes.pdf

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Standings through Sunday's action:
 Pacific Coast League (AAA) - PCL American North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Iowa 28 21 .571 - 16-7 12-14 W2 Nashville 27 23 .540 1.5 15-8 12-15 W2 Omaha 25 25 .500 3.5 21-10 4-15 W1 Memphis 24 27 .471 5.0 15-9 9-18 W1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Southern League (AA) - SOU North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tennessee 26 22 .542 - 11-12 15-10 W2 Huntsville 25 23 .521 1.0 13-12 12-11 L1 West Tenn 23 27 .460 4.0 14-11 9-16 L1 Chattanooga 21 29 .420 6.0 12-13 9-16 W1 Carolina 19 31 .380 8.0 11-14 8-17 W1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Florida State League (A+) - FSL East Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brevard County 31 19 .620 - 18-7 13-12 L1 Palm Beach 28 22 .560 3.0 13-12 15-10 W2 Daytona 23 26 .469 7.5 13-8 10-18 W1 Vero Beach 23 27 .460 8.0 17-12 6-15 L1 Jupiter 21 29 .420 10.0 9-16 12-13 W1 St. Lucie 21 29 .420 10.0 10-15 11-14 W3 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- South Atlantic League (A) - SAL Northern Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- West Virginia 32 15 .681 - 17-10 15-5 W2 Greensboro 29 21 .580 4.5 17-8 12-13 L1 Lakewood 25 22 .532 7.0 12-13 13-9 W2 Hagerstown 23 27 .460 10.5 13-12 10-15 W4 Lake County 22 27 .449 11.0 12-13 10-14 L2 Lexington 22 28 .440 11.5 12-16 10-12 L2 Hickory 20 27 .426 12.0 9-11 11-16 W1 Delmarva 20 28 .417 12.5 11-12 9-16 L4

Wow - Nashville with a 5 run 1st - Brad Nelson with a 3 run jack jackety jack.

Yea, I know it's the Power announcer's trademark call, but I move that we steal the call for all BFN minor league posts. Do I hear a 2nd?

... and then Jackson did his best to give it back... however Nashville is still winning a slug fest after 5 complete 7-5.

Yes McLendon has been pitching well, I'm not sure what to make of him. I've tried to look up his scouting reports on the site from last years draft but I've been unsuccessful this far. Velocity, pitches, and how well he locates would be things that I'd be interested in if I could find it.

edit... found the official thread. official scouting report below.

Seminole CC player profile

2006 statistics:

7-4, 1.48 ERA, 7 CG, 1 shutout, 97 IP, 73 H, 98 K, 14 BB, 4 HR, .209 BAA

2005 statistics:

11-1, 1.65 ERA, 2 CG, 82 IP, 58 H, 72 K, 12 BB, 2 HR

Brewerfan.net scouting report

McClendon doesn't get the biggest scouting accolades since he doesn't throw as hard as you might look by looking at his physical measurables or his statistics over his two years at Seminole CC in Orlando, Florida. All he has done though is get the job done by limiting baserunners, both via hits and walks, keeping the ball down in the strike zone and this year he started to miss more bats.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: West Virginia 4, Greenville (Red Sox) 0

West Virginia Site Game Summary:

POWER ONE-HIT DRIVE

Mike McClendon, Omar Aguilar and E.J. Shanks combined to pitch a one-hit shutout at Appalachian Power Park on Monday afternoon as West Virginia cruised to a 4-0 victory over the Greenville Drive.

Jimmy Mojica came through with a clutch two-out, two-run single in the bottom of the second inning to give the Power an early advantage. West Virginia was held scoreless through the next four innings, until Darren Ford ripped an RBI triple and scored later in the seventh inning on Brent Brewer?s broken bat single into left field.

Kris Negron came up with Greenville?s only hit, a two-out double in the top of the third inning. It was just the sixth hit that McClendon has surrendered over his last three starts.

McClendon (5-1) tossed seven scoreless innings of one-hit ball and struck out six to get the win, as Felix Doubront (0-2) was tagged with the loss after surrendering two runs on five hits over five innings.

The Power improved to 33-15 with the win and the Drive fell to 20-30 with the loss. Darren Ford and Andy Bouchie both had two hits for the Power. The 4-0 victory was the second shutout of the season for the Power, and it was the second time they held an opponent to one hit.

The Power will begin a four game series against the Kannapolis Intimidators on Tuesday night. The Power will start right hander Jeremy Jeffress (0-0, 0.00) and the Intimidators will counter with right hander Rich Brooks (2-5, 5.44). The first pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM (6:05 Central).

Additional details from MiLB.com:

McClendon helps Power one-hit Drive

By Alan Friedman / Special to MLB.com

Mike McClendon combined with two relievers on a one-hitter as West Virginia blanked visiting Greenville, 4-0, on Monday afternoon.

McClendon (5-1), a 22-year-old right-hander, allowed only a double by the Drive's Kristopher Negron in the third inning, as he fanned six and walked one in seven innings to pick up the win and lower his ERA to 1.83.

Omar Aguilar and E.J. Shanks each tossed a hitless frame to close out the game for the Power (33-15).

It was the second time this month that McClendon, a 10th-round draft pick in 2006, flirted with a no-hitter. He threw 8 1/3 frames of hitless ball against Asheville on May 18.

"I go out there knowing I'm going to give up hits, so I don't understand it myself sometimes," McClendon said of his recent success.

"Today I was locating my fastball, curve and changeup, and I was trying to mix them up and keep hitters off balance," he said. "Although my curve does something different each time I pitch it and sometimes it surprises even me."

McClendon, who hasn't allowed an earned run in his last three starts totaling 20 1/3 innings, also gave some credit to his catcher, Andy Bouchie, for doing "an awesome job calling the game."

The Power scored all the runs they would need in the bottom of the second. After they loaded the bases on a hit, a walk and a hit batsman, Jimmy Mojica ripped a single to left field, plating Chuckie Caufield and Kenny Holmberg for a 2-0 lead.

Link to article includes audio of Jimmy Mojica's base hit:

web.minorleaguebaseball.c...;fext=.jsp

Felix Doubront (0-2) allowed two runs on five hits while striking out one and walking two over five innings to take the loss for the Drive (20-30).

West Virginia Box Score:

West Virginia Game Log:

Where was this Mike McClendon in Helena last year? Here's to Mike and the coaching staff for the breakout success...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Albuquerque (Marlins) 10, Nashville 9

Nashville Site Game Summary:

Link for Brad Nelson photo, text follows --

www.nashvillesounds.com/n...ewsId=2348

Isotopes Edge Sounds In Memorial Day Shootout

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. ? The Albuquerque Isotopes scored the winning run with one out in the bottom of the ninth inning to register a 10-9 victory over the Nashville Sounds on Monday afternoon at Isotopes Park in the finale of a four-game series.

The win gave the Isotopes a series split and dropped the Sounds? record to 27-24 on the year. The defeat was Nashville?s 11th this season when an opponent plated the winning run in its final turn at the plate.

Every Sounds position player recorded a hit in the contest, including a team-best four hits by Callix Crabbe. Andy Abad went 2-for-3 to extend his hitting streak to nine games, matching the longest by a Nashville player this season. Mike Rivera and Chris Barnwell also extended their longest hit streaks of the year to six and five games, respectively.

The teams combined for nine runs in the first inning as Nashville plated five and Albuquerque countered with a four-spot in the home half of the frame. A Brad Nelson three-run homer, his sixth longball of the year, highlighted the Sounds? scoring.

AUDIO: Brad Nelson Three-Run HR --

www.nashvillesounds.com/a...205-28.mp3

Charles Thomas, who slugged his first roundtripper of the year, and the red-hot Joe Dillon also went deep for the Sounds in the losing effort. Dillon, whose homer was his fourth, has hit safely in 14 of his last 16 games for Nashville.

With the score knotted at 9-9, Albuquerque plated the winning run against Steve Bray in the bottom of the ninth. With one out, Chris Ashby doubled to right then came home with the game-winning score when Frankie Moore followed with an RBI single up the middle.

Nate Field (5-2) was awarded the victory after working a perfect top of the ninth for the Isotopes. Bray (2-1) took the loss after allowing the winning run in his lone frame of action.

Nashville starter Zach Jackson worked his shortest outing of the season, allowing four runs on four hits while walking four batters and striking out none in just two innings of work.

The Sounds return to Music City tomorrow to open an eight-game homestand during which they?ll host the Las Vegas 51s (AAA-Dodgers) and Tucson Sidewinders (AAA-Diamondbacks).

Right-hander Jose Capellan (3-2, 3.52) will start Tuesday?s 7 p.m. series opener for Nashville. Las Vegas will counter with right-hander D.J. Houlton (5-2, 2.91).

Nashville Box Score:

Outside of his complete game one-hitter May 7th, Zach Jackson has allowed 28 runs in 32.1 innings over seven starts; R.A. Dickey took one for the team today given his recent workload -- knuckleballers can come in handy, although not so much when they're ineffective as was the case here; maybe Dennis Sarfate can build off his scoreless three-inning effort...

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...p;did=milb

Nashville Game Log:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_albaaa_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Daytona (Cubs) 9, Brevard County 3

Manatees outhit the Cubs 12-9, but lose by six -- five errors didn't help, nor did stranding 14...

Brevard County Box Score:

Angel Salome three singles and a walk; remember Cole Gillespie's torrid week that earned him Florida State League Player of the Week honors? Cole's 1-for-23 since...

web.minorleaguebaseball.c...p;sid=t503

Brevard County Game Log:

LHP Derek Miller knocked out during an eight-run Cub 3rd inning...

web.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_dbcafa_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Update: Huntsville 8, Montgomery (Devil Rays) 3, after six innings

Steve Moss having a huge night, on base four times out of the leadoff spot, just crushed a three-run HR; Sam Narron shook off the first inning and has been a perfect ground-ball machine since...

Glad to see that Salome's bat has really heated up these two weeks since his slow start. His stats look pretty good now .315/.360/.500/.860 with 4 homers in 92 ABs. It's likely he could hit more homers than last season (10).

BTW Alyssa Milano looks great in the brewerfan link report t-shirt.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Huntsville 12, Montgomery (Devil Rays) 3

Huntsville Site Game Summary:

Link, text follows --

www.huntsvillestars.com/n...ewsId=1185

Moss and Heether Slug Stars to Victory

Steve Moss and Adam Heether each hit home runs and drove in three runs to help Sam Narron overcome a rough start in Huntsville?s 12-3 win over Montgomery Monday night in the opener of a five-game set at Joe Davis Stadium. The Stars improved to 26-23 on the season but remain one game behind North Division-leading Tennessee, while the Biscuits fell to 27-24 and stayed five games behind Mississippi the South Division. The Stars have won seven of their last eight at home to improve to 14-12 on home soil.

A run-scoring single by Brooks Badeaux, a run-scoring ground out by Evan Longoria and an RBI double by John Jaso staked the visitors to a 3-0 lead just five batters into the game. However, Narron settled down to retire 13 straight after a two-out double in the second inning by Jason Pridie with 11 of the outs coming on ground balls. He issued a leadoff walk to Chris Nowak in the seventh that was promptly erased by a double play ground ball off the bat of Shaun Cumberland. Pridie and Badeaux collected one-out singles in the eighth but the inning ended when Brignac bounced into a double play, as Narron recorded 18 ground ball outs in picking up his second win of the season. He lasted eight innings for a second straight start at home, giving up seven hits, walking one and striking out one. Longoria was hitless in four at-bats and failed to reach base for only the fourth time in 49 games.

Huntsville plated five runs in the home first, capped off by Heether?s two-run long ball, his first of the year and first with the Stars since May 1 of last season. A Longoria throwing error, a wild pitch and a Ruben Mateo ground out scored the other three runs against starter Chris Seddon, who uncorked three wild pitches in the frame. The Montgomery southpaw was lifted after five innings, giving up five runs on eight hits and four walks.

Seddon was replaced by Nick DeBarr, who gave up a three-run home run to Moss in the sixth to make it 8-3 Huntsville. Moss finished with three hits in four at-bats and a walk and scored two times after scoring only three times in the first 25 home games. Drew Anderson, Heether and Brendan Katin added run-scoring singles in succession in the seventh to cap off the scoring. Katin and Steve Sollmann also collected three hits in the Stars? 15-hit attack.

The series continues Tuesday night with southpaw Manny Parra taking the mound against Biscuits? right-hander Chris Mason. Coverage of the game begins at 6:50 p.m. central time on SportsRadio 730 WUMP and can be heard through the internet at www.huntsvillestars.com.

Huntsville Box Score:

Adam Heether is so good defensively at third, so his recent offensive turnaround is big in terms of value to the Brewers or another organization...

Huntsville Game Log:

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

www.al.com/stars/huntsvil...amp;coll=1

Stars duo makes parents proud

Heether, Moss shine to help burn Biscuits 12-3

By BRAD SHEPARD

For the Huntsville Times

At this rate, the Milwaukee Brewers organization may start paying for players' families to fly in for games at Joe Davis Stadium all season.

With parents Ricky and Teri in town from Ripon, Calif., Adam Heether blasted a two-run homer and went 2-for-4 with three RBIs and two defensive gems to lead the Stars to a 12-3 win over Montgomery on Monday night.

Also, fellow Californian Steve Moss got three hits, scored two runs and smacked a three-run homer with his mother, Margo, as part of the holiday crowd of 2,422.

It was Make Your Parents Proud Night at the ballpark.

"They usually come out in spring training, but they wanted to save their trip because they haven't seen me play since last year," Heether said. "If it's like this every day, they're staying all year."

Added Moss, who grinned ear-to-ear after speaking with his mother face-to-face rather than Instant Messaging: "You know, it's funny, every time she comes to town since I was in Low-A, I hit a home run. I don't think it's a coincidence."

If that's the case, Stars fans should be thrilled with today's chances.

Moss' mom is sticking around, and Heether's parents are staying all week.

"It's always good to go out there and give them something to be happy about," Heether said.

As starting pitcher Sam Narron labored through the top of the first inning, a memorable Memorial Day game looked anything but probable.

But it was darn near perfect after an imperfect beginning. Rather than roll over trailing 3-0, Huntsville simply rolled through the lineup.

The Stars (26-23) batted around, getting four hits - two of the infield variety - two walks, three wild pitches, an error and a Heether's towering home run to go up 5-3.

After getting a season-high three RBIs a week ago in Huntsville's last game at Joe Davis, Heether picked up where he left off.

He also showcased his glove in the top of the second, diving to his left to rob Evan Longoria of a hit for his first of two brilliant plays. His teammates followed suit.

Hernan Iribarren made several difficult plays look routine from second base, Steve Sollmann dove full-length to catch a pop-up in foul ground and right fielder Ruben Mateo dove forward to steal another base hit.

"Beautiful," Heether said of the team defense. "When you see one guy lay out, the next guy wants to lay out. You expect to steal a hit. You expect to make a play."

While Narron got plenty of help, he cruised through the rest of his outing.

Following the tough first, he faced one more than the minimum during the next six innings.

After a second-inning double by Jason Pridie, Narron got the Biscuits 1-2-3 in the next five frames. He showed no ill effects of the ankle he hurt against Mobile in his last start that chased him after 2 2/3 innings.

Instead, he returned to the form of his last Joe Davis start, when he threw a shutout. "I had a rough one in the first," said Narron, who went eight more innings Monday. "They've got a good hitting team, but the bottom of the first, to come back and have your team get you five runs, that's all you need."

Huntsville pounded 15 hits to go along with sparkling defense and another quality start from Narron. It was an ideal way to start the homestand.

"Good effort all the way around," Stars manager Don Money said. "We got some good hitting, and after the first, Narron settled down and did a good job."

Funny, his parents were nowhere to be found.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

www.dailymail.com/story/S...d+as+gold/

The golden rule is as good as gold

Jacob Messer

Charleston Daily Mail Sportswriter

When he spoke to his pitchers after their Memorial Day game, West Virginia Power pitching coach John Curtis offered them a formula for success.

He calls it "The Golden Rule of Pitching," and it is a three-pronged approach.

The first principle: Work fast. The second: Throw strikes. The third: Mix pitches.

Curtis even had a visual aid for his speech: West Virginia starter Mike McClendon, who did all three Monday afternoon in a 4-0 victory over Greenville (S.C.) in front of an Appalachian Power Park crowd of 1,847.

Thanks in large part to McClendon, who wasted no time between pitches, the South Atlantic League game lasted only 2 hours and 18 minutes.

"He does all of those to a T," Curtis said of McClendon, a 6-foot-5, 215-pound right-hander who turned 22 on April 3, the day Power players reported to Charleston. "It worked for him today."

Effectively mixing his fastball, curveball and changeup, McClendon allowed only one hit in seven innings -- a two-out, third-inning double by Kris Negron.

"The hitters in this league can hit the fastball," Curtis said. "But for them to be asked to wait on three pretty high-quality pitches, that's a bit much. So, he beats them. He only gets hurt when he's up in the zone."

The Drive didn't get any hits off Power relievers Omar Aguilar and E.J. Shanks, who each pitched one scoreless inning.

It marked the second shutout this season for West Virginia, which sits atop the Northern Division standings with a 4 1/2 game lead over Greensboro (N.C.).

The Power improved to 33-15. The Drive dropped to 20-30.

McClendon has dominated opponents in his last three outings, allowing six hits and one run in 20 1/3 innings with 11 strikeouts and three walks.

He has lowered his earned run average from 2.79 to 1.83 and improved his record from 2-1 to 5-1 during that stretch.

"I don't know what's going on, to tell you the truth," said McClendon, whom the Milwaukee Brewers selected in the 10th round (302nd overall pick) of the 2006 Major League Baseball Draft. "I'm just trying to make quality pitches. Someway, somehow, it's working."

McClendon doesn't know how to explain his success, but Power catcher Andy Bouchie does.

"He's aggressive," said Bouchie, who platoons with Martin Maldonado but was behind the plate for McClendon's last three outings. "He isn't afraid to throw strikes.

"He works real fast. He keeps everybody guessing, changing speeds and mixing up pitches real well. He throws whatever he wants whenever he wants. That's the thing. Every pitch he has is working."

Opponents are hitting only .178 against McClendon, who has issued nine walks compared to 45 strikeouts this season.

"His earned hit average might be lower than some earned run averages in this league," Curtis said. "He isn't giving the other side much of anything."

McClendon started his hot streak May 18 on the road against the Asheville (N.C.) Tourists, coming within two outs of a no-hitter.

Next was a Grand Slam School Day performance Wednesday in which McClendon yielded four hits in five innings at home versus the Augusta (Ga.) GreenJackets.

McClendon could have continued, but Curtis removed him because he had thrown 58 pitches against the GreenJackets five days after he threw 119 pitches against the Tourists.

"His whole style and demeanor, he's advanced for this level," Curtis said of McClendon, an Orlando native who compiled an 18-5 record and 1.56 ERA with nine complete games and one shutout in two seasons at Seminole Community College in nearby Sanford, Fla. "He's doing things that you wouldn't expect out of a pitcher in this league, and he's doing them well.

"I call it the intuitive grasp of pitching. He has a sense out there of what he needs to do and what his ability level will allow him to do. He's maximizing the ability that he has to produce these incredible results.

"This kid is pitching beyond this league. Hopefully, he will get his just reward."

POWER PLUGS: Bouchie and Darren Ford each had two hits for the Power. Jimmy Mojica added two RBI. ... West Virginia will play 13 of its next 15 games on the road, starting at 7:05 tonight (6:05 Central) with the first of a four-game series against the Kannapolis (N.C.) Intimidators. Its only home games during that span are June 5 and 6 ... The Power will start right-hander Jeremy Jeffress (0-0, 0.00) tonight, while the Intimidators will throw right-hander Rich Brooks (2-5, 5.44). ... West Virginia acquired another pitcher Sunday when Milwaukee signed Jared Sutton, 24, from the South Georgia Peanuts of the independent South Coast League. Statistics weren't available for Sutton, a 6-2, 200-pound right-hander.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Photos by Charleston Gazette Photographer Kenny Kemp

The Power?s Mike McClendon allowed one hit in seven innings in Monday?s 4-0 victory.

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/images/stories/WVPOW1.jpg

After retiring Greenville?s Paul Smyth at second base, Power shortstop Brent Brewer fires to first in hopes of completing a double play Monday. The double-play effort failed, but the Power won 4-0.

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/images/stories/WVPOW2.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Photo by Ji-Eun Lee of the Daytona News-Journal

Daytona's Alberto Garcia, right, tries to grab the ball by his shoulder to tag Brevard's Lorenzo Cain at Jackie Robinson Ballpark in Daytona Beach on Monday.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/downloads/Sptdcubs2052907.jpg

Archived