Brewer Fanatic

*RED ALERT THREAD* 8/28/07 Brewers (Suppan. 8-11, 4.85) at Cubs (Hill. 7-7, 3.67) 7:05 CT

sheetswannabe
  • Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish I didnt have tickets to the next 2 games. What a waste of time and money. How humiliating.

I have to go to a wedding and do the chicken dance this weekend. Wanna swap? Or isn't it that humiliating? Litmus test
Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

1) Linebrink is pitching like someone who cannot get the crucial out or even any needed out lately -- how many outings ago was his last respectable game? Geez! When he comes in, lets the inherited runners score, and makes an error, that's just too much!

2) Linebrink definitely should not be re-signed if this doesn't turn around in a big way. Melvin's faith in that scout isn't looking so good right now.

3) When decent starters are supposed pitch deep into games, what's with this recent mindset that no Brewers starter should bat past the 6th inning? My goodness. The chorus for the past month is how no starter could even get out of the 6th inning and it was killing the bullpen. Now they're pitching a bit better and they're not supposed to go out for the 7th? I don't understand. You can't have it both ways. . . . A few bad outings cloud views of the big picture. Suppan shouldn't be ragged on for going out to try to make the kill in the 7th. And if Yost were to pinch hit for every starting pitcher no matter how he's doing after the 6th inning, he'd be catching flack for overusing his bullpen again. Bad luck? Yes. Reason to fire the manager? No. When things haven't been going your way like this, it doesn't matter what button you push because everything backfires. Linebrink backfired again. That's all there is to it. Earlier in the season Yost was doing a good job of keeping everybody fresh. Linebrink was fresh but stunk again this time. Earlier it was Villanueva who could do no wrong out of the bullpen, and now it's Shouse. Yost eventually overused Villanueva and that's what'll happen with Shouse if he overuses him, as kinda happened when he stunk at the end of last year.

I still believe that the manager is bound to make some mistakes. Ned's not a crap manager. And I sure hope he becomes a better manager - he needs to for this team to continue to grow the right way under him.

Now I've typed long enough and we're going to the top of the 9th.

Just for the record here's how the smart manager plays this game.

Suppan, despite his low pitch count gets them through 6 on a hot night. With a runner on in the 7th, you don't give the Cubs an out, you hit for Suppan.

Then Shouse starts the 7th to face Floyd, DeRosa and Jones. If they hit for the lefties, so be it. Shouse has been better than Linebrink anyway.

F6 F8 F4 K... just another day at the office for Johnny. I don't know why he pisses me off so much. Maybe I'd rather see Miller ahead of him until Miller needs a rest.
Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

Why is it that Ned Yost thinks a starting pitcher with a pitch count at just about 80 go 6 full innings allowing one run, and getting himself out of jams all night long with a bullpen that is constantly imploding is all of a sudden not good enough to go another batter or two?

Turn it over to the bullpen Nedly! Maybe you can call Phil Garner and ask if he needs a fishing partner!
-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

The Brewers have found an insanely new way to break the hearts of Brewers fans everywhere. This would have been a lot easier if they just faded from our minds in July, like they usually do. Nope. That would have been too easy on us. We've had far too much enjoyment for the last 25 years.

Archived