Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Tue. 5/29 - Jeffress' Debut, Parra, Capellan

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tuesday's Daily Menu:

All times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Nashville: RHP Jose Capellan at home vs. Las Vegas (Dodgers), 6:45 PM pre-game; 7:00 gametime

Audio link:

www.nashvillesounds.com/listenlive/

Huntsville: LHP Manny Parra at home vs. Montgomery (Devil Rays), 6:55 PM pre-game; 7:05 gametime

Audio link:

www.huntsvillestars.com/

Brevard County: Idle

West Virginia: RHP Jeremy Jeffress at Kannapolis (White Sox), 5:55 PM pre-game, 6:05 gametime

Audio link (game will also archive at this link):

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../audio.jsp

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Follow Tuesday's action as it happens:

Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Window". Open the Nashville Gameday. For the others, choose "Log". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often.

Nashville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_nasaaa_1

Huntsville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_hunaax_1

West Virginia:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_kanafx_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

These links will be included in each daily report when the Nashville Sounds and/or Huntsville Stars are scheduled to play. Normally they are updated an hour or two prior to gametime, with Nashville's usually earlier:

Nashville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

www.nashvillesounds.com/pdf/notes.pdf

Huntsville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

www.huntsvillestars.com/i...eNotes.pdf

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Standings through Monday's action:
 Pacific Coast League (AAA) - PCL American North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Iowa 29 21 .580 - 17-7 12-14 W3 Nashville 27 24 .529 2.5 15-8 12-16 L1 Omaha 26 25 .510 3.5 22-10 4-15 W2 Memphis 25 27 .481 5.0 15-9 10-18 W2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Southern League (AA) - SOU North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tennessee 27 22 .551 - 11-12 16-10 W3 Huntsville 26 23 .531 1.0 14-12 12-11 W1 West Tenn 23 28 .451 5.0 14-12 9-16 L2 Chattanooga 22 29 .431 6.0 13-13 9-16 W2 Carolina 20 31 .392 8.0 11-14 9-17 W2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Florida State League (A+) - FSL East Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brevard County 31 20 .608 - 18-7 13-13 L2 Palm Beach 28 22 .560 2.5 13-12 15-10 W2 Daytona 24 26 .480 6.5 14-8 10-18 W2 Vero Beach 23 27 .460 7.5 17-12 6-15 L1 Jupiter 21 29 .420 9.5 9-16 12-13 W1 St. Lucie 21 29 .420 9.5 10-15 11-14 W3 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- South Atlantic League (A) - SAL Northern Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- West Virginia 33 15 .688 - 18-10 15-5 W3 Greensboro 30 21 .588 4.5 18-8 12-13 W1 Lakewood 25 22 .532 7.5 12-13 13-9 W2 Lake County 23 27 .460 11.0 13-13 10-14 W1 Hagerstown 23 28 .451 11.5 13-12 10-16 L1 Lexington 23 28 .451 11.5 13-16 10-12 W1 Delmarva 20 28 .417 13.0 11-12 9-16 L4 Hickory 20 28 .417 13.0 9-12 11-16 L1

Wow, pogo, that would be amazing. Commitment like that is what makes BF indispensable.

With Capellan and Parra as company, that is some exceptional velocity on the mound tonight. I only hope that JJ's future history (how's that for some critical vocab on historicity and mutability?) is nothing like the other two, but that he makes it to the MLB like Capellan or still has a chance at the same age as Parra.

It'll be interesting to see how many pitches they allow him to throw tonight. I wonder how much they prioritize stretching guys out in extended spring, versus working on specific mechanical or mental approaches to the game. It sounds like he'll piggy back with the young French-Canadian, eh?

I'm hoping "Bull" is vocal about the gun readings tonight. According to weather.com, it'll be 86 at first pitch, which should help that fastball move.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

FYI for Sounds fans tonight:

Sounds game tonight will be 8 p.m.

Wire reports

Tonight?s Pacific Coast League game at Greer Stadium between the Nashville Sounds and Las Vegas 51s will begin at 8 p.m., one hour later than initially scheduled due to travel delays for the Las Vegas club.

Gates will still open at 5:30 p.m.

Right-hander Jose Capellan (3-2, 3.52) will make the start for the Sounds and face Las Vegas right-hander D.J. Houlton (5-2, 2.91).

Actually he's throwing real well. Got the first 2 hitters and then gave up back to back jacks. Visit to the mound by the pitching coach, and he's been doing just fine since. The good news is that he's been pounding the strike zone.

NO WALKS!

(He's just given up back to back doubles.) He's hitting 96 to 98 on the gun, and he's had 2 real good fielding plays already.

The good news is that he's been pounding the strike zone.

That's what I was thinking...I just want to see him have few walks. It must be nice pitching for that offense. Give up a few, and no need to worry because the offense has your back

Jeffress with a nice debut, not a great stat line, but he settled down and pitched well.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: West Virginia 6, Kannapolis (White Sox) 4

West Virginia Box Score:

Nice job by Jeremy Jeffress in his Class A debut, as noted above -- check out the game log, it'll give you a sense of the actual outing more than the linescore; D.J. Lidyard picked Jeffress up nicely with three scoreless innings; Kenny Holmberg 4-for-5 including a double...

West Virginia Game Log:

In the 5th and 7th, Brent Brewer turned 6-3 double plays, nice...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Montgomery (Devil Rays) 3, Huntsville 0

Huntsville Box Score:

Manny Parra strikes out nine in six sweet innings -- some run support would have been nice; suddenly human Robert Hinton has allowed two runs in three of his last four appearances...

Huntsville Game Log:

Stars hit into three double plays in this quick loss (2:08), the toughest was a bases loaded GIDP in the 5th; my goodness, check out all the ground ball outs the Stars made...

EDR's post in the game thread reminded about a prospect I forgot to bag on.

I just recently noticed and was going to post, as I've been hung up on other prospects, that Gamel has been rather pedestrian so far this year. The number that jumps out for me is his slg at .314, very TGJ for a corner prospect.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Also, the game log of Nashville's 7th is pretty interesting, and my 2 favorite relievers doing it up again tonight.

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

West Virginia Site Game Summary:

JEFFRESS VICTORIOUS IN POWER DEBUT

Milwaukee?s first round pick in the 2006 draft, Jeremy Jeffress, allowed three runs on five hits over five innings to earn the victory in his West Virginia Power debut on Tuesday night in Kannapolis as the Power won their fourth game in a row 6-4.

Kannapolis took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning on back-to-back two-out bombs from Chris Carter and Stefan Gartrell.

The Power scored five times in the third inning to take the lead and never looked back. Chuckie Caufield singled in Michael Brantley and Caufield scored the tying run later in the third on Andy Bouchie?s double. Bouchie scored the go-ahead run on Kenny Holmberg?s base hit and Taylor Green singled in the last two runs of the inning. The Power scored four of their five in the third with two outs.

Rob Hudson doubled in a run for Kannapolis in the bottom of the third inning, and West Virginia scored their final run of the game in the top of the fourth on Caufield?s groundout. In the bottom of the ninth inning with a runner on second and two outs, Archie Gilbert ripped a single down the left field line to score Brandon Allen, but Gilbert tried to make a double out of it and was thrown out at second base by Michael Brantley to end the game.

Jeffress (1-0) got the win, J.T. King (2) earned the save while Ricky Brooks (2-6) was tagged with the loss after surrendering three runs on five hits over two and two thirds. D.J. Lidyard pitched three hitless innings out of the bullpen for the Power.

The Power improved to 34-15 with the win and the Intimidators fell to 24-28 with the loss. Kenny Holmberg paced the Power with four hits, Brantley chipped in with two and both Caufield and Taylor Green knocked in a pair of runs for the Power.

The Power will continue the four game series against Kannapolis Wednesday morning. The Power will start right hander Roque Mercedes (0-3, 8.06) and the Intimidators will counter with left hander Justin Edwards (4-2, 3.68). The first pitch is scheduled for 10:05 AM (9:05 Central).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville Site Game Summary:

Link, text follows --

www.huntsvillestars.com/n...ewsId=1186

Mason Masterful in Shutting Out Stars

Chris Mason spun seven shutout innings and Evan Longoria?s late home run helped carry Montgomery to a 3-0 win over Huntsville Tuesday night in the second game of a five-game set at Joe Davis Stadium. The Biscuits? improved to 28-24 on the season and pulled to within four games of division-leading Mississippi in the South Division, while the Stars dropped to 26-24 and failed to gain a game on North-leading Tennessee, as the Stars remain one game back.

A highly-touted pitching match-up lived up to promise through four scoreless innings before the visitors got to Stars? starter Manny Parra for the first run of the night. Patrick Breen led off the fifth inning with a triple and scored on a chopping single through a drawn-in infield by Josh Asanovich, who had been just six-for-36 with runners in scoring position prior to that at-bat.

The Stars loaded the bases with one out in the home fifth against Mason on a Drew Anderson single, a Reid Brignac throwing error and a hit batter but the rally was squashed when Adam Heether bounced into a check swing, pitcher to catcher to first base double play. Parra, who entered the game with the eighth best ERA in the league, left after six frames trailing 1-0. He allowed seven hits, walked two and struck out a season-best nine in lasting at least six frames for the seventh time in his ten starts.

Mason stranded Ruben Mateo at third base to end his seven innings of work, during which he gave up five hits and struck out seven. He has thrown 13 innings against the Stars in two starts without allowing an earned run and dropped his ERA, fourth best in the league entering the game, to 2.39. Richard De Los Santos worked a scoreless eighth inning and Dale Thayer retired the side in order in the ninth to match Joey Devine of Mississippi for the league lead in saves with 11 and protect Mason's league-leading seventh victory.

Robert Hinton retired the side in order in the seventh after taking over for Parra but gave up a two-run long ball to Longoria in the eighth to push the visitors lead to 3-0. Longoria had been held to just one run batted in over the last five games between the two teams before moving into second place in the league in home runs.

The series continues Wednesday afternoon with southpaw Adam Pettyjohn taking the mound against Biscuits? left-hander James Houser. Coverage of the game begins at 11:50 a.m. central time and can be heard through the internet at www.huntsvillestars.com.

Wow, great find Mass. I wonder if there's ever been a pitcher to record saves with both hands before?

- Plato

- Plato

back from the game and uploading video as quickly as possible...i was able to video JJ warming up and from a couple different angles throughout the game......

The back to back homers were both on fastballs...at the time he gave them up i was siting with a scout from the royals and the braves...they were talking about how the fastball looked very flat...but after the homers, things improved a great deal...they were comparing him to tom gordon by the end of the 1st...

i filmed the entire second inning, so if it ever loads, you'll be able to watch it...

the scoreboard had him at 98 about 5 times, but i checked with Alex Periard on my way out (he was using a Stalker gun) and he had the fastest pitch at 97...He was regularly in the 93-95 range...which is where we will see him as a starter, but you'll see him ring it all the way up if he makes it up as a starter..

speaking of Alex Periard, he is on the DL for an ear infection....also spoke to Zach Braddock about his arm and he said it feels much better...he said they are just trying to keep his innings and pitch counts down, so they are giving him a few weeks off...he told me the team actually told him it was similar to the break they gave will inman last year, so i call that great news...no surgery, no scope, just rest...

on to the bats...

Andy Bouchie really hits the ball hard...if he learns to take some walks, he could turn into a very good prospect...

I think i didn't give Taylor Green enough credit last week...he's a bigger guy than Ryan Crew...i definitely think he's got the stick to stay at third...he's one to keep a very close eye on for the rest of the year, because he could turn out to be a top 20 prospect really quickly...

Brewer's error just went right under his glove...he drastically misjudged the bounce of the ball, and had no chance...he's mega fast though...he's got 40 steal potential...

Finally got to talk to Mike McClendon tonight as well---he said the team had been picking on him really hard early in the year about his motion, but they have slacked up a bit because his results have been so phenomenal...he told me he throws mid 80's sinkers virtually every pitch...which means he probably profiles mroe as a reliever than a starter, but the brewers will give him a long leash as a starter...

ok, that's it for now...i'll get those videos up...

Archived