Brewer Fanatic

Everyone Relax

brewers255
Please, yes the brewers have been playing badly, but wasn't this the same team that was 24-10 and that was without Ryan Braun? Every team goes on a hot streak and a slump. This is not time to panaic yet, the Brewers are 1.5 games out and a big series coming up in Chicago but if they get swept there still only 4.5 games out. The Cubs will choke like they always do. It's time to panaic when the Brewers are 3-4 games out with 10-15 games left than you can start worrying. Right now just be thankful that the Brewers are even in the race, still go to the home games, still support the team. They have time left they just need confidence. If they can win 2 out of 3 to Chicago that would be a huge confidence booster.

It's time to panaic when the Brewers are 3-4 games out with 10-15 games left than you can start worrying. Right now just be thankful that the Brewers are even in the race...
I sure do love it when people have the nerve and arrogance to tell other people how to feel, when to worry, and what they should and should not be thankful for.

Please, yes the brewers have been playing badly, but wasn't this the same team that was 24-10 and that was without Ryan Braun? Every team goes on a hot streak and a slump. This is not time to panaic yet, the Brewers are 1.5 games out and a big series coming up in Chicago but if they get swept there still only 4.5 games out. The Cubs will choke like they always do. It's time to panaic when the Brewers are 3-4 games out with 10-15 games left than you can start worrying. Right now just be thankful that the Brewers are even in the race, still go to the home games, still support the team. They have time left they just need confidence. If they can win 2 out of 3 to Chicago that would be a huge confidence booster.

No.... anything short of sweeping the Cubs will do the Crew in. This series at Wrigley is for all of the marbles for 2007. If they don't pull off a sweep, forget about the playoffs.

Two thoughts:

1. Team Canada, I would suggest that this horrific slump (death spiral?) really began when they were 48-34, and thus after 82 games into the season, not after the 34th game. Just a detail. I do agree that taking 2 of 3 from the Cubs -- seemingly a veritable pipe dream -- would be a major event considering how this season has unraveled since June ended.

2. My bigger fear is not that the Brewers will be 3-4 games out w/ 10-15 to play. Rather, it's that they'll be 10-15 games out with 10-15 games left to play. I want to keep being optimistic -- I have been for 28 seasons -- but it's hard to see any signs that point to this catastrophic run turning around anytime soon. Every time anyone seems to have a chance to be the clutch player, either they don't deliver OR they do but someone else comes right back and blows it for them anyway.

The problem is that since they were 48-34, they've truly played like a last-place team, not a first-place team. It's one thing to be a little off your game. It's a whole 'nother thing to go 17-31 and have just about every button you push seem to backfire for 2 months straight!

9-7

24-10

34-30

48-34

56-44

65-65

That is the story of the season in my opinion. Mediocre start to the year followed by a very strong 15-3 hot streak. That was followed by a pitiful 10-20 streak. Next we went 14-4 and were one of the better teams in baseball. The next stretch saw us go 8-10 or pretty average. Then we completely fell off a cliff going 9-21.

Kind of funny that the last time these don't panic topics came up was after the 10-20 streak and we have another streak just like it and they crop up again. I wish I could say I'm optimistic that we'll follow it up with another 14-4 streak but this time the 9-21 was mostly against bad teams, the 10-20 streak was games against tough opponents with a lot on the road.

more don't panic stuff. another post telling people how they should feel.

Yes, Lord knows there aren't enough telling us we SHOULD panic.

Funny thing is, I'm a panicker...I have been since early April. But I have no issue with people trying to point out the positives, however slim they may be getting. As long as the positives are still there--and even if the Cubs coughing it up along with us is the biggest and perhaps only one--I'll take them.

It's not over yet. Haters can hold off their celebration until it is.

The Brewers definitely do have time left, but I feel like this is the time we really need to get back into the race and if at all possible build a lead.

For some reason I keep looking to the end of the season (maybe because I doubt Chicago or Milwaukee will outright run away with this division at this point), and us having to play 3 against St. Louis and 4 against San Diego at home that last week scares me a lot more than the Cubs going on the road to get fat against the Marlins and Reds for 6 games.

The Cubs last 16 games are against the Cardinals (4, road), Reds (6, 3/3 split), Pirates (3, home), and Marlins (3, road). Our last 15 games are against Houston (3, road), Atlanta (4, road), St. Louis (3, home), and San Diego (4, home)--not exactly a favorable schedule, even though we've been a much better home team this year. In case anyone cares, the Cubs are 2 games over .500 at home, and 1 game over .500 on the road.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Can we please stop trying to reason that because we are in a pennant race, we shouldn't complain about this team? This is not a pennant race. This is a "who is the prettiest girl from the ugly contest?" race.

No, I really don't even care if we sneak into the playoffs at 80-82, if we get in, but let's stop trying to pretend that the performance of the team in the last few months is acceptable just because we have 5 other teams in our division that either simply don't have good players or have underachieved also.

Can we please stop trying to reason that because we are in a pennant race, we shouldn't complain about this team? This is not a pennant race. This is a "who is the prettiest girl from the ugly contest?" race.

No, I really don't even care if we sneak into the playoffs at 80-82, if we get in, but let's stop trying to pretend that the performance of the team in the last few months is acceptable just because we have 5 other teams in our division that either simply don't have good players or have underachieved also.

The issue of the NL Central pennant race and the question as to whether this is a good team or not are two different issues, much less how "acceptable" the performance the Brewers turn in is.

You're well within your rights to think that a team with 83, 82, or even 81 or 80 wins that makes the playoffs turned in an unacceptable performance. I, for one, would disagree. Teams don't get titles for "Most Acceptable Performance on a Messageboard." They also don't get them for the best regular season record. They get them for divisional, league and World Series wins. Would 90+ wins be much more "acceptable"? Sure. But if they're not going to make the playoffs with those 90+ wins, I can't say I'd feel tremendously better about the season. Better than an 80 win season with no playoffs, sure, but those 90+ wins with no playoffs and a dollar get you the same cup of coffee a 80, 70, 60 win season would when it comes to what matters.

This is the lot we have. I'm not happy with the performance or the record right now, but I'm still putting my hopes on what counts--the playoffs.

adambr -- It's not that it's acceptable - to me - by any stretch, but for whatever ridiculous reason, we are still in the thick of a pennant race. Even if it doesn't make you or anyone happy that it's ugly, it's still for a playoff spot, which is what the regular season is really all about.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I have just entered panic mode. Getting swept while not holding a division lead has left me worried and troubled and downright unhappy. It probably hurts worse since it's the weekend and I've spent it entirely watching and listening to sports shows on the radio and TV. The Brewers give me a freakin heart attack watching them. Especially when a bloop single by the other team scores the game deciding run and we blow 13 three run leads over the season. That has hurt the worse. Blowing the 3 run leads. A total of 13 blown 3 run leads over the season. I'm to drunk and upset to research this, but that seems like a lot. Ever since the Cubs came back to beat us 6-5 or whatever the score was with a walk off blast on CoCo it seems like I've been tormented every time I turn on the Brewers.

I feel better having vented (hmmm perhaps this has been on the vent thread). With all that I'm still glad to be watching the Brewers play meaningful games right now instead of watching Geoff Jenkins put up monster stats in another meaningless September.

Every team goes on a hot streak and a slump.

Hot streak: First 34 games.

Slump: Last 92 games.

One of those numbers is much bigger than the other..

You beat me to it. The hot streak is looking more and more like the aberration.

Clancy, how do you justify that statement? So if we take 2 of 3 and are only .5 back, it's all over? That's ridiculous.

The problem is psychological. The Cubs have made up a 7.5-game deficit, and are now 1.5 ahead. They have a lot of psychological momentum. The Brewers need to break it, and break it decisively - in addition to the need to take first place, and the need to show some sign of turning it around on the road.

If the series ends with the Cubs on top of the division, I don't see the Brewers pulling it off. I'm sorry, but that's justthe way it looks to me right now.

Every team goes on a hot streak and a slump.

Hot streak: First 34 games.

Slump: Last 92 games.

One of those numbers is much bigger than the other..

Sure if you completely ignore the 22-14 stretch in the middle of that slump.

Hot first 34 games (14 games over .500)

Slump next 30 games (10 games under .500)

Hot next 36 games (8 games over .500)

Slump next 30 games (12 games under .500)

That has been the season so far.

Archived