Brewer Fanatic

What is the owner doing right about now?

bklynbrewcrew

Is there any chance that Attanssio is angry enough right about now to fire Yost or is he too gutless to make the move.

I hope IF MA makes a move it is because it makes sense, not because he is superpissed.

I am sure if Yost was a Taylor hire -- DM would have fired him long ago.

I am all for firing Yost -- I would have fired him at the end of 2006, that said -- I don't think firing him in 2007 mid-season makes a lot of sense, unless you had some one like Robin Yount come in and manage, and that would appease the bandwagon fans and their ticket money, i.e., a manager that would make people come to the park.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe using the term gutless was the wrong thing to say but there is more than enough evidence to fire Yost now. This team is collapsing yet again in the second half of the season and that goes straight to Yost. The owner had very high expectations for this team and I cant imagine he is too thrilled at this point. Supposedly he was very angry around the time of the Verlander no hitter and things are far more dire right now then they were at that point in time. Two months of absolutely dreadful baseball against mostly second division teams should be enough to get Yost fired. If we werent in the midst of a pennant race thanks to our worthless division I wouldnt care if Yost stayed for the rest of the season. At this point we are still a contender and I think a change should be made now. I think there is a decent chance that Mark A and Melvin see this ship sinking and make a change now since things really cant get any worse than they are now. This is not the usual talentless Milwaukee Brewers we are talking about here. This team has way more than enough talent to win this lousy division and we need a new leader to get us there. The owner must be at wits end at this point and that is why I think Yost may not make it to chicago.

Well I think if Yost were to get fired today would be the day. It's an off day and the team has been terrible. I don't think he will be fired but if Attanasio truly is pissed and I'm thinking Melvin is probably pretty pissed right now too then today would be the day.

Melvin hired Yost. Once he fires him, and selects a new manager, the neck that is on the line is Melvin's.

Attanasio is counting cash right now from the windfall that came about as Brewer fans gobbled up tickets expecting a fun drive to the playoffs.

What Attanasio hasn't yet realized is that the same fans that have purchased all these tickets are being let down and let down big time. Once he does, he's going to want answers.

We really haven't seem Attanasio establish his authority as owner of the team. He needs to at some point because he has to concern himself with selling this product to the fans.

What Attanasio hasn't yet realized is that the same fans that have purchased all these tickets are being let down and let down big time. Once he does, he's going to want answers.

Not only this but he also realizes that if he wants to keep those fans in the seats he needs to do something. Fans know what's going on and if he wants to keep their butts in the seats then he's going to need to do something because if the Brewers don't finish .500 or maybe even make the playoffs and Yost doesn't go then I doubt the fans will be back and support the team like they have this year.

Holy run-on sentence!http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif

Next year's season ticket base will be up, almost without a doubt. Some of this year's increase in attendance can be directly traced to the excellent, over their heads start, however.

Mark A is a smart man, and he "gets it", much more than the average fan. But, he does at some point need to decide if he's going to continue on the same path, a long-term vision, or not. The not option is probably a tad better for ticket sales and such, but not enough to make much of a difference long-term.

On the Jerry Stiller roast, someone guessed that Jerry Seinfeld (then single) did not show up because he was "busy blanking a model on a giant pile of cash". Though Mark A is happily married, I think, it does not apply to him as much, but dare I say it would be nice to at least know if you wanted to, you could be doing that.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

To be honest, I'm sure Mark A wonders, or has wondered, several times if he is on the right path. Because it is up to Doug who the manager is (and it rarely makes a difference, to be honest), I think Mark has thought more about replacing Doug than Ned. That said, I doubt if he has any plans to do that, and I hope he doesn't. Not all has gone to plan in '07, but the vision for a run of success is still very much in place.

Success is often predicted a year or two before it happens, and premature success is often very short-lived (remember the Royals a few years ago?) and fleeting. It is very difficult not to be optimistic when looking at the next few years, with much of the nucleus still very young and far from their mythical peak. I doubt Mark is willing to risk that for a win or two in '07, though I'm sure much of him would love to.

I think this whole situation is a real test for Mark Attanassio. I know that he expected the team to have a real shot at winning the division this year and I dont think he expected the monumental collapse that has occured in the second half of the season. Yes we are still in the pennant race but that is due to the division being lousy. Attanassio must also know that another below 500 season after being in first place most of the season will be an unacceptable outcome to what was once a very promissing season. Ticket sales will be a problem next season if things stay stautus quo. Therefore I see no way Attanassio keeps Yost around much longer. In fact Im a little surprised he hasnt been fired yet. As for Melvin I think Mark A is smart enough to realize that he has done a good job but I could be wrong. I hope Attanssio doesnt blame Melvin for this mess and fire him when the collapse of the team is a product of Yost not Melvin.

I think he knows he has to wait longer to make a move. The team has played great, played poorly, played great and played poorly. All this talk about the disaster second half is just nonsense as are the but we have stunk since starting 24-10 comments. If we had started poorly, played great, played poorly and were playing great now we would still just be a .500 team. Everyone is negative because we are on a bad streak right now. What happens in the last 1/5th of the season is going to dictate what Attanassio does, not just what has happened in the last 30 games.

This team has the talent of a roughly .500 team, the team has a record of roughly .500. We are doing about what was expected out of us, hard to fire the manager mid season when that holds true. I'm sure he's extremely frustrated by the play of the team lately but he is a smart guy and I'm sure he knows that baseball is a very streaky game, patience is the name of the game for making a smart move at this point.

The team has played great, played poorly, played great and played poorly. All this talk about the disaster second half is just nonsense as are the but we have stunk since starting 24-10 comments. If we had started poorly, played great, played poorly and were playing great now we would still just be a .500 team. Everyone is negative because we are on a bad streak right now.

The brewers winning % since Jun 24th is 0.393 in 56 games. Prior to Jun 24 the team was winning at a .581 % in 74 games. The worst record in the major leagues for 2007 belongs to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays at 0.389. For approximately 43% of the season.(56/130) the Brewers have played as bad as the worst team in baseball. Is 56 games or roughly 2 months simply a "bad streak"?

The team has played great, played poorly, played great and played poorly. All this talk about the disaster second half is just nonsense as are the but we have stunk since starting 24-10 comments. If we had started poorly, played great, played poorly and were playing great now we would still just be a .500 team. Everyone is negative because we are on a bad streak right now.

The brewers winning % since Jun 24th is 0.393 in 56 games. Prior to Jun 24 the team was winning at a .581 % in 74 games. The worst record in the major leagues for 2007 belongs to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays at 0.389. For approximately 43% of the season.(56/130) the Brewers have played as bad as the worst team in baseball. Is 56 games or roughly 2 months simply a "bad streak"?

You can break the numbers up to look worse or better than they really are. If you break the season into fifths we are 12 games over, 8 games under, 8 games over, 10 games under and just entering the last 1/5 of the season. From June 24th to July 27th we went 14-14 so I find it unreasonable to put that in your bad streak list.

From July 28th to August 27th we have gone 8-19. What you are really talking about here is not two months of bad streak, its one miserable month which pretty closely resembles the miserable month we had back in May/June.

The most useful sample of games you can get is the largest one, we are .500 and thats all that really matters. Trying to break the season down and judge the team by part of the season is just not very useful.

The most useful sample of games you can get is the largest one, we are .500 and thats all that really matters. Trying to break the season down and judge the team by part of the season is just not very useful.

I agree, but it's just so hard to take that record at face value. All the same, I'm with the glass-half-full crowd and tend to look at it as it will trend positively in this last 20%.

This team has been very strange this year as shown by those 1/5th splits. 12 games over, 8 games under, 8 games over, 10 games under(12 if you count the two extra games). You don't get much more of a roller coaster than that one and I honesty have no clue at all what team is going to show up for the last 1/5.

I'm with you, I have a pretty negative opinion of the rest of the year too. I just don't buy into this being a case of us collapsing in the 2nd half just yet. We had a miserable 30ish game stretch, our second one of those this season, but we've also had two very good stretches. Two positives and two negatives equals a .500 team with an unknown future ahead of them.

I can see both points here. To make a purely emotional decision is short-sighted, but to imply that an emotional decision is necessarily poor might be short sighted as well. Science has a lot to say recently about emotional intelligence and it's importance in shaping human behavior. Part of the reason for firing Yost better be emotional as well as rational--if not, it's half a decision. It's been my limited experience with atheletes that they are more emotional than rational, and when that emotion is providing positive stimuli then the results can be very good. The problem with the Crew is that the emotions now seem really negative. Sedar talked the other night on what a hard loss it was to take--I doubt the players are rationailizing their angst. Too many blown leads almost inevitably will take a toll, though I'm not privy to the clubhouse vibe and therefore could be wrong.

TooLiveBrew[/b]]agreed, but Russ's point ignores the fact that this would not be an emotionally-fueled decision - but instead an appropriate reaction to a pattern of poor decison making (esp. with his pitching staff)

What decisions should he have made with the pitching staff? When your entire staff can't get anybody out what options did he have that he didn't try? You want Cordero in the rotation? Seriously what was he supposed to do? You have to work with the talent you have and right now this team has precious little talent to work with on the pitching staff. I'm not saying Ned has done a great job I just wish posters would be more specific when throwing accusations around.. Give me some feasible alternatives to what Yost has done instead of just saying he has managed his staff poorly. Maybe you are right but based on what?

You can break the numbers up to look worse or better than they really are. If you break the season into fifths we are 12 games over, 8 games under, 8 games over, 10 games under and just entering the last 1/5 of the season. From June 24th to July 27th we went 14-14 so I find it unreasonable to put that in your bad streak list.

From July 28th to August 27th we have gone 8-19. What you are really talking about here is not two months of bad streak, its one miserable month which pretty closely resembles the miserable month we had back in May/June.

It's important when slicing and dicing the numbers to put them into perspective. I chose June 24th as the cutoff because since that time the brewers have played equal to the worst team in baseball. So for 56 games the brewers have been at the bottom. Yes there are trends within those 56 games that make them look better, but it can't be spun positively that this team has been close to the worst team in baseball over that period. I don't call that bad, I call that bottom of the barrel. Maybe we're just talking semantics. Maybe it's glass half full/half empty, but it's still not pretty.

I have been much more descriptive, but since I'd made similar statements to rluz in a couple other threads, I didn't want to be a broken record. What burns me up is Ned's 'Let's just leave this guy in - if he blows the lead then I'll make the move' mindset. Our front office went out and got Linebrink, Shouse is solid, T-Bow is better more often than he isn't, and CoCo has been pretty darn good this year. Is it really Linebrink's fault that Corey Hart didn't get to that pop-up down the line? Whether he was/is hurt or hurting isn't clear, but it looked that he had every chance to make a play on that blooper - then he sent a crappy throw to the plate, when even a decent one would've caught Feliz (heck, his crappy one almost gave Miller a shot at the tag)

EDIT: responding to dvoiss

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yes there are trends within those 56 games that make them look better, but it can't be spun positively that this team has been close to the worst team in baseball over that period. I don't call that bad, I call that bottom of the barrel. Maybe we're just talking semantics. Maybe it's glass half full/half empty, but it's still not pretty.

I still don't see how you include those first 28 games where we went 14-14 in your numbers. That makes no sense at all to me. In the past 28 games we have been terrible but the stretch right before those games wasn't bad at all.

TooLiveBrew[/b]]I have been much more descriptive, but since I'd made similar statements to rluz in a couple other threads, I didn't want to be a broken record. What burns me up is Ned's 'Let's just leave this guy in - if he blows the lead then I'll make the move' mindset. Our front office went out and got Linebrink, Shouse is solid, T-Bow is better more often than he isn't, and CoCo has been pretty darn good this year. Is it really Linebrink's fault that Corey Hart didn't get to that pop-up down the line? Whether he was/is hurt or hurting isn't clear, but it looked that he had every chance to make a play on that blooper - then he sent a crappy throw to the plate, when even a decent one would've caught Feliz (heck, his crappy one almost gave Miller a shot at the tag)

EDIT: responding to dvoiss

Thank you for the reply. I think it is much better than your original post. I hadn't read your comments in other threads, sorry. I hope you didn't take my reply personally but I just get tired of people just throwing stuff out there because they want to say something. your original post seemed like one of those. Obviously it wasn't. I apologize.

In defense of Ned if your starters aren't eating innings your pen is gonna tire out and that is exactly what has happened. That is why, IMO, the rotation is more to blame for this teams collapse than Ned is. They completely fell apart. Not much you can do about that. I'm not sure if John McGraw could have come back from the dead and prevented what has happened given the way the starters have pitched. That is why he stayed with his starters too long in some games because either he does that or he risks further exhausting the pen. It was a choose your poison type of thing, IMO.

Archived