Brewer Fanatic

What is the owner doing right about now?

bklynbrewcrew

I cant even imagine how infuriated Mark Attanssio is right about now. I remember when the team was falling apart right around the time of the Verlander no hitter it was reported in several places that Attanssio was very angry with how we were playing. I would have to think that his feelings must be intensified 10 fold at this point and I wonder how much longer he will allow Yost to keep his job. Is there any chance that Attanssio is angry enough right about now to fire Yost or is he too gutless to make the move. I also wonder if Melvin's job is on the line considering the ridiculous collapse that this team is having. I personally want Melvin back next season and hopefully for years to come but I could definitely see the owner starting anew.

(added tag --1992)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any chance that Attanssio is angry enough right about now to fire Yost or is he too gutless to make the move.

Yes, it takes a courageous man to make emotionally driven decisions. I bet you'd have the guts to do it!

Emotionally driven? This team has been in a slide for a very long time now.

Since you love stats, take a look at the numbers since the All-Star break. Look at the records of the opponents who have kicked our butts. Look at our road record. Look at the standings and how far we have dropped.

The stats aren't emotionally driven. They tell a bad story about this team.

I've been wondering the same. Attanasio was all over the media, big smiles, accepting the congratulations from everyone, and has disappeared since the slide began. I'd be more impressed if he was consistent...if you want the spotlight when things are good, you should work through it when things are bad as well. It's not like the media hasn't wanted his commentary the last several months.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think the point Russ is making is that IF they decide to fire Yost, it needs to be for the right reasons. If they don't feel like firing Yost is the right thing to do, then it is not "gutless" to do so.

If they think firing him is the right thing, I'm sure they will, regardless if it would be a popular move or not.

Baseball executives don't have the luxury of making emotionally fueled decisions, or they won't be employed long.

agreed, but Russ's point ignores the fact that this would not be an emotionally-fueled decision - but instead an appropriate reaction to a pattern of poor decison making (esp. with his pitching staff)
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The original poster specifically used the term "gutless", which in that context, makes it an emotional decision, rather than a business based one.

The point being, that if Melvin and Attanasio believe firing Yost is the right thing to do, they won't be "gutless" about it, they'll fire him. I'm certain that's what Russ is saying.

WE thinking Yost should be fired doesn't mean Melvin and Mark A feel that way.

I'm absolutely certain that Yost is under the gun right now. But I can see many reasons for not firing a manager in-season. A change could make a difference, it might not. The players might respond poorly, they might not. Being only a game and a half out, despite how poorly they've played, I'm sure, makes a big difference in the thought process behind a managerial change.

Not being privy to any of the facts, I'd still bet that this is a conversation that has taken place between Mark A and Doug Melvin. IF they truly believe firing Yost is the right thing to do, from a business stand point, I'm 100% certain that that is what they'll do. Not because the fans want to see it, or because it's not gutless, but because it makes sense in the W/L column.

The point being, that if Melvin and Attanasio believe firing Yost is the right thing to do, they won't be "gutless" about it, they'll fire him. I'm certain that's what Russ is saying.

Correct. To want the owner of the team to be angry enough to fire someone is just odd. And to call him gutless if he doesn't is pretty childish, IMO. Maybe if you call Mark A. "chicken", he'll do what you want?

I'd rather Brewer management make decisions with their brain, not their heart. If they decide to fire Yost, so be it. I've never really been a fan, anyway.

I think that we need to fire Yost before the Cubs Series. Something needs to be done to light a spark to this team. I know people dont believe in that kind of stuff but I bet I can find quite a few situations where a manager was fired midseason only to see the team make an improvement.

Bottom line is the team cant play any worse than they are now, and losing Yost isnt going to destroy the team (its not like he is sparky anderson) so it seems like a LOW RISK, HIGH REWARD option. Even if it meant that Sveum was the intern.

When the ship is sinking, if you dont try to do something to fix it, you are really just waiting for the inevitable.

I'd be much more comfortable with firing Yost mid season if we had an in house prospect for manager next season. Giving a 32 game trial to someone else to see if they are ready or not would be worth firing Yost prematurely. I don't think we really have that though unless they wait until the Sounds season is done and make Kremblas the interim manager.

I know people dont believe in that kind of stuff but I bet I can find quite a few situations where a manager was fired midseason only to see the team make an improvement.

I bet about half the teams made an improvement and half the teams did worse, just like every other team. That's not proof of anything.

When the ship is sinking, if you dont try to do something to fix it, you are really just waiting for the inevitable.

And making changes for the sake of making changes is not how you should run a sports team, IMO.

According to some on here,Attanasio is a hands off owner when it comes to personel decisions and leaves it up to Doug.

As an example and regardless of what some may claim,he had no influence on Melvin to sign Suppan supposedly.

All player and coaching personel decisons are up to Melvin.

Which makes me curious about this original post.

So whay are some calling for Attanasio to fire Yost?

Wouldn't that be strictly up to Melvin,and Melvin alone if Attanasio is not a meddlesome owner?

I don't know what he is doing now but if he were to type what he thinks of the situation in a post on this forum I bet he'd get banned for breaking the cursing rules.

I don't know, it may be just me but Attanasio doesn't seem like the swearing type. Me on the other hand, well I can't believe I haven't been banned yet. I've shown surprising restraint in expressing my real feelings without using words that are banned here that I use everyday.http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/happy.gif

And making changes for the sake of making changes is not how you should run a sports team, IMO.

Do you honestly believe that getting rid of a manager who continues to make similar mistakes is making a change for the sake of making a change? At this point in the year, I'd hoped Yost would have learned from his past errors.

Whatever is done with Yost,i hope that choice is left up to Doug Melvin,not the owner deciding to overrule the GM.One of the best things the Packers ever did was hire a strong GM and let that person choose the players and head coach.That way the GM has nothing standing in his way to whether the team succeeds or fails except for his own decisions.If Yost is part of the problem and waits to long to act this year or next year,then Melvin only has himself to blame.

An owner hires a GM because that man is supposed to know more about the game than the owner.If the owner starts not believing enough in his GM that he makes important moves like who manages the team instead of the GM deciding it,that's usually not a good sign IMO.

RLUZ - But what do the Brewers have to lose by making the change. I dont think that we will EVER win games BECAUSE Yost is our manager, but we will lose them. The team cannot play any worse than they are now, so I think its time to push your chips all in and make a management change.

Just one mans opinion.

Do you honestly believe that getting rid of a manager who continues to make similar mistakes is making a change for the sake of making a change? At this point in the year, I'd hoped Yost would have learned from his past errors.

People are saying that Yost should be fired because Mark A. should get mad or because sometimes a random change of the manager might help a struggling team. Those are both bad reasons to fire a manager, IMO. If there are good reasons, fine. I've already said this, though and others have corrected you when you misunderstood my previous post in a similar way.

RLUZ - But what do the Brewers have to lose by making the change.

I can think of a few things and I bet you could too.

I guess I've just seen more than enough of my share of good reasons to fire Yost, emotions excluded. When I read that original post, I (perhaps erroneously) understand that said logical reasons are implicit in what the author projects to be both the cause of and Attanasio's ire itself.

Well, I don't think a stat in the world, or the soothsaying of a thousand Sabremetricians, can honestly stop the ire of this owner when his team, once 14 games above .500, fails to win 80 games. Of course no one wants to run an organization like the drunk at the end of the bar. That said, the utter meltdowns over which Yost has presided have exposed him, crying to the avenging anger of the baseball gods, and now he must be dealt with.

Archived