Brewer Fanatic

8/24/07: Brewers (Vargas) at Giants (Lowry) (9:15 CDT)

TooLiveBrew

Milwaukee (65-62) @ San Francisco (56-72)

Giants: Winners of 5 in a row heading into their series against the Cubs, the Giants managed just one win, relying on pitcher Matt Cain's bat for 2 of their tally in yesterday's 4-1 victory over Chicago. The Giants boast a talented young pitching staff - even though that includes Barry Zito, who has been decidedly mediocre thus far in 2007. San Francisco's offense lacks any punch beyond Barry Bonds - Ryan Klesko (.779 OPS) and Randy Winn (.759) are the only other moderately respactable threats in the lineup, with most of Barroids's teammates posting OPS in the low .700s.

Noah Lowry (LHP): 1.47 WHIP, .360 SLGA, .352 OBPA, .712 OPSA, .251 BAA

Although Lowry boasts a 13-7 record and 3.34 ERA, there is a bit of deception involved. His K/9 rate is dead-even with his BB/9 rate, at roughly 5 per game. In his 148 IP, he has walked 82 batters - the highest total thus far for any Giants hurler. For comparison, Doug Davis has walked 81 men in his 153 2/3 IP in 2007. Given his high walk totals, Lowry's performance this year has been predictably inconsistent. In his 7 starts since the All-Star break, 3 have been 'quality start'-worthy, and he has gotten through the 7th inning twice in that span. One thing he does do well, though, is limit his HRs - having only surrendered 8 this year. The name of the game against Lowry will be a patient, 'take it where it's pitched' approach by Ned's Nine.

Claudio Vargas (RHP): 1.52 WHIP, .477 SLGA, .345 OBPA, .822 OPSA, .281 BAA

Vargas's 2007 has been up and down, and like Lowry, Claudio's 10-4 record can be misleading. His 4.72 ERA is a bit more reflective of how he's performed thus far, but any Brewer diehard can rattle off a list of frustrating starts by Vargas. Also similar to Lowry, 3 of Vargas's 7 starts since the ASB have been Quality Starts, including the only two appearances of the year in which he's pitched through the 7th inning. Claudio has been worked heavily in his last three starts - he's thrown no fewer than 107 pitches in each. August has been his worst month of the 2007 campaign, with a 6.75 ERA and 1.875 WHIP, along with 16 runs allowed (all ER).

Fortunately for the Crew, San Francisco's weaker lineup may be just what the doctor ordered for Vargas. The key will be for Claudio to just go right at the Giants hitters and trust his stuff, as the only one to be really wary of is Bonds. Conversely, the offense will need to work Lowry, and aim for that average of 5 BBs he's allowed per game this year. Bill Hall has a mighty task in front of him this series as well - AT&T's center field is cavernous, with a tricky 'corner' out at approximately the 420-foot mark, coupled with odd ricochets off the tall brick wall in right field. Missing Prince for two games this series will certainly hurt the offense, as the hulking slugger will not have as many chances to take advantage of the short right field - perhaps Geoff Jenkins can shine in this regard.

Let's go Crew!

(belated edit: daylight time http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GormanHarvey, I found on BrewCrewBall (he got it from mlb.com) that Sheets's 'day of reckoning' is tomorrow. He's got the possibility to start that game, and then be in line to start the final game at Wrigley. However, when asked about his blister, Sheets replied, "it ain't better, but it's getting better." And I have to include this excerpt - "Yost said he expects to make a decision by Friday. If Sheets is unable to start Saturday, Yovani Gallardo could pitch on regular rest..."

I don't know if any of that is news to you, or if you were wondering about whether or not the decision has been made yet, but that's all I've got for ya.

EDIT: my guess is that we won't see Benny until the Cubs series at the earliest (no insider info, just a hunch)

Thanks TooLive. That was actually a little more info than I knew, but I have the same feeling that we won't see him til Chi-town. I had read that Yost said he would know today about Sheets, so I figured I would throw it out there and see if anyone had heard something definite.

No, it's not nit-picky, it's calling a moron a moron! Shucks I wish I could've made my mistake be spelling or punctuation - nope, had to be the boldfaced team record. Crap. Thanks pitchleague!

GormanHarvey, fwiw, Sackmann (BrewCrewBall guy) feels like Sheets will pitch, due to SF's inept offense, and to have a prep start before ChC. I don't really know, but I guess we'll know soon enough.

GormanHarvey, fwiw, Sackmann (BrewCrewBall guy) feels like Sheets will pitch, due to SF's inept offense, and to have a prep start before ChC. I don't really know, but I guess we'll know soon enough.

Makes sense to me. Just hope he doesn't make that blister worse

weeks

dillon

gross

braun

hall

mench

hart

estrada

vargas

Personally I think they'll have a shortstop and only 3 outfielders with Gross sitting against the lefty. http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif

I'm going to the game tonight as well as Saturday and Sunday and couldn't be more excited given the situation, especially if Sheets pitches tomorrow (although I'd love to see Yo, too).

On the other hand, I flew down and watched them play in San Diego in May and they got swept (at least I saw Braun's first Major League home run), so if they lose tonight and tomorrow I might skip Sunday!

I'll be wearing my Cerveceros shirt and my shaggy Turnbow-esque hair under my Brewers' cap loud and proud.

I feared Ned might insert Miller at 1B, but he is the only option as a righthanded pinch hitter. They should have optioned Parra and brought up an extra bat for a couple days. They'll have to option him anyway prior to Sheets start and with Prince shelved, they're a man short.

My hunch is we'll see Capuano in his first relief appearance to get through the 6th and 7th.

I had followed Joe Dillion pretty closely this season at AAA, but he was totally off my radar before the day they signed him. He has a slightly compact swing, and he looks like he can drive the ball into the gaps, but will he stick with the Brewers or in the bigs past this season? I have no idea. These next two games might go a little way to telling us. He's a good story either way, and someone you can hardly not root for.

Archived