Brewer Fanatic

April / May Transactions -- Latest: DFE Rob Bryson Article

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Holmberg is not the latest. Patrick Ryan arrives in Brevard tomorrow morning. He was told this am after he pitched 3 perfect innings against Augusta.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif It's about time!!!

Chad Robinson has signed, per BA. Great addition. Costs the Brewers 500K, which is late 2nd round money. Things are looking great everywhere for The Crew.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

www.dailymail.com/story/S...o+Brevard/

Ryan promoted from Power to Brevard

Jacob Messer

Charleston Daily Mail Sportswriter

Manager Mike Guerrero and pitching coach John Curtis were waiting on West Virginia reliever Patrick Ryan when he walked into the home dugout after pitching his third and final scoreless inning Wednesday at Appalachian Power Park.

They had good news for him, and rather than wait until they got into the clubhouse, they gave it to him in the dugout.

"We're sending you to Florida after the game," they told him.

With that, Ryan became the first Power player to earn a promotion in the Milwaukee Brewers' farm system this season. He is headed to Brevard County, a member of the high Class A Florida State League.

"I'm pretty happy," Ryan said following West Virginia's 4-2 South Atlantic League victory over visiting Augusta. "I'm glad I'm going to get a chance to go up there and play. I wasn't really expecting it."

Ryan, who will turn 24 one week from today, was 2-0 with a 3.23 ERA this season. The 6-foot, 200-pound right-hander appeared in 16 games and pitched 30 2/3 innings, allowing 23 hits with 30 strikeouts compared to 12 walks.

"He had a tremendous year here last year, but because of a number of moves (the Brewers) had to make in Brevard (this year), he ended up here in Charleston (for a second season)," said Curtis, who called Ryan the most valuable pitcher on his staff last year.

"He had a little trouble with it at first. He thought he had to have a better year than he had last year (to get promoted). We talked about it a number of times in the first two weeks. After he got over the emotional and mental hump, he pitched well.

"Everything has a purpose. He leaves here a better pitcher than he was last year. He's actually more ready for Brevard now than he would have been in April."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

In order to make room for RHP Patrick Ryan on the Brevard roster, RHP Jesse Harper has been released.

A June 2004 waiver claim from Toronto, he was removed from the 40-man roster in October '04, and had been battling back from major arm problems for a good portion of his Brewer career.

RHP Jesse Harper Brewerfan Player Index Page:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPla...ayerId=690

Jesse Haper's 2007 numbers at MiLB.com:

web.minorleaguebaseball.c...pid=430660

Brewerfan wishes Jesse well going forward.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

For those of you haven't strayed over to the sheer mania of the Major League Forum tonight concerning Mr. Braun:

www.nashvillesounds.com/n...ewsId=2339

No word yet on the Nashville roster spot that needs to be filled. Eventually Greg Aquino will come off his official rehab stint and will be optioned to the Sounds, but that hasn't happened yet.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

As our good friend from Charleston, who is a "host family" dad, posted in Friday's Link Report:

Link while active, text follows --

www.dailymail.com/story/S...oin-Power/

Jeffress to join Power

Jack Bogaczyk

Charleston Daily Mail Sports Editor

On a $1 drink night at Appalachian Power Park, most of the 5,776 fans didn't even know what might have brought a bigger ballpark buzz.

It wasn't cheap beer and it wasn't the West Virginia Power's 4-2 victory over Augusta Thursday, earning a split of a four-game series between the South Atlantic League's division leaders.

It wasn't even the fact that the Power handed GreenJackets' right-hander Adam Cowert, who shares the SAL lead with seven wins, only his fourth loss in 21 decisions in two pro seasons.

The real buzz was about today's impending arrival of Jeremy Jeffress, a 19-year-old right-hander who threw a 102-mph fastball last season after being the Milwaukee Brewers' first-round pick in the June 2006 draft. Jeffress (pronounced JEFF-ERS) will become the third first-round selection the Brewers have sent to Charleston in as many seasons.

"I saw Jeremy a little in spring training," Power pitching coach John Curtis said Thursday night. "He has an electric fastball, really good stuff command-wise. Sometimes you watch him, he's throwing so hard and it just looks so effortless."

According to the 2007 Baseball America Prospect Handbook, Jeffress "regularly throws his fastball in the high 90s, hit 98 mph throughout 2006 and topped out at 102."

Baseball America ranked Jeffress as the No. 4 overall prospect in the Brewers' organization.

Jeffress starred at Halifax County (Va.) High before becoming the 16th overall pick in last year's draft. Jeffress, who is from the same southside Virginia region as 2006 Power pitching star Will Inman, signed for a $1.55 million bonus. He has been in extended spring training in Arizona.

"He's coming here?" asked shortstop Brent Brewer, who was the Brewers' second-round pick just behind Jeffress. "He's pretty good. Jeremy can bring it. He'll be a really good addition to our pitching staff."

Jeffress' promotion is related to left-hander Zach Braddock, who leads all of minor league baseball in strikeouts-to-nine innings ratio, going on the disabled list. Braddock is expected to miss three starts (the first was Thursday) with inflammation from what Curtis believes is a mild case of tendinitis.

"We need to make absolutely sure Zach's OK before we send him back out there," Curtis said. "When Patrick Ryan moved up to Brevard County (high Class A) today, it left us with only 12 pitchers.

"I'd expect Jeffress won't pitch until Tuesday (when the Power opens a road trip at Kannapolis). It's likely we'll work him in tandem with probably (Alex) Periard, because we're splitting Mike Ramlow and Periard from a tandem."

Brewers minor league pitching instructor Jim Rooney is scheduled to arrive in Charleston on Monday to help smooth Jeffress' transition to full-season ball.

The hard-throwing right-hander spent last season with the Rookie League Arizona Brewers, turning in so-so results. Jeffress had a 2-5 record in 13 appearances, including four starts, with a 5.88 earned run average. He struck out 37 in 33 2/3 innings, but also walked 25, threw 13 wild pitches and hit six batters.

Curtis doesn't plan on pitching Jeffress during this homestand "because getting his first outing on the road will help him get acclimated."

"He may only go 3-4 innings his first time out to get his feet wet," Curtis added. "We think coming here (to a first-place club) will be a good environment for him to compete in, but his development is far more important than anything else."

Curtis says Jeffress' impressive fastball is joined by a curve "with which he's scuffling a little bit," and a changeup that just will improve once Rooney and Curtis start tinkering.

"He's got a faster fastball than Inman," Curtis said, when asked to compare Jeffress to the pitcher who was 10-1 for the Power last season. "The average Major League fastball is 89-90 (mph). Will could touch 91, maybe 92.

"Jeremy routinely is at 93-94 and he will probably clock out at 96-97 some nights. He's not a big kid (6 feet, 1 inch, 185 pounds), but he's long-legged. The curve and change will be better with some mechanical things we can fix.

"He has the same kind of tempo as Yovani Gallardo (second-round pick who pitched for the Power in 2005), but he's not nearly the pitcher Gallardo was here ... but I'm sure looking forward to working with him."

Thats great news that the organization thinks enough of Jeffress development to get him playing in real games. Its a big relief actually.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Staff

albanyprobaseball.com/new...icle_id=91

JARED SUTTON SIGNED BY BREWERS

The South Georgia Peanuts are pleased to announce that pitcher Jared Sutton?s contract has been purchased by the Milwaukee Brewers organization. Sutton appeared in three games for the Peanuts. He posted a 2.00 ERA with 14 strikeouts in nine innings of work.

?I am really excited, there are a bunch of things going through my head,? Sutton said. ?This is pretty much all of our goals to get back to affiliated ball. For me, it is just getting there for the first time and I am really excited right now.?

Sutton?s signing ends a whirlwind three weeks for the right-handed pitcher. Sutton was one of three pitchers signed at a local tryout camp that took place in Albany, Georgia a few days prior to spring training. Sutton also had to finish some classes during the few days between the tryout camp and spring training beginning.

Sutton, in his short time with the Peanuts, became one of the top strikeout pitchers in the South Coast League. He led the league in strikeouts for a number of days. His game high for strikeouts came on May 21 when he struck out seven against the Anderson Joes.

Sutton and his teammates found out the news during the ballgame on Saturday night. A member of the Peanuts organization got the phone call from the Brewers and then went to the team?s dugout to tell manager Wally Backman who then gave the news to Sutton and the rest of the team.

?It?s a great thing for a good person,? Peanuts catcher Tug Gillingham said. ?That?s what we are all kind of here for. To know that someone is getting picked off our team shows that people are watching and it drives us and fuels us a little bit more.?

Sutton has been assigned to the West Virginia Power. The Power is the Brewers? Class A team which plays in the South Atlantic League. Sutton is the first player to appear in a game for the Peanuts to be signed by a major league organization.

Sutton is 24 years old, a RHP, having just celebrated a birthday this month.

His college numbers which wrapped up in spring 2006, weren't overwhelming, but it's always nice to see the Brewers proactive on the independent league front. They've certainly gleaned a few nuggets in recent years, and it's particularly exciting when a player earns his first affiliated contract (Joe Thatcher and Jimmy Mojica come to mind as recent examples.)

www.thebaseballcube.com/p...tton.shtml

Earlier notes:

Jared Sutton is the lone right-handed pitcher signed from the tryout. He most recently pitched at the University of North Carolina ? Wilmington. Sutton finished his career with a 5.23 ERA. Sutton has not pitched competitively since the end of last year?s collegiate season. Despite his inactivity for close to a year, he consistently hit 94 mph on the radar gun during the tryout.

?This is very exciting,? Sutton said. ?I am ready to learn and see what (Backman) can show me.?

Stocked in arms

Although no local players are signed, the South Georgia Peanuts add three pitchers to their roster after an open tryout.

Paul Dehner Jr.

AlbanyHerald.com

ALBANY ? If the first official on-field event in the history of the South Georgia Peanuts is any indication, Albany?s new baseball team will be exciting to watch.

Holding an open tryout in which manager Wally Backman hoped to find a few players he could add to the roster, three players left Paul Eames Sports Complex with contracts and two more with a promise to return after the first cuts of spring training.

None of the five were from the area on a day where about 40 players turned out.

None of the position players were impressive enough to earn a spot on a day where most of the talent stood 60 feet, 6 inches from home plate.

?The pitching (Saturday) was outstanding,? Backman said.

At the head of that class was right-hander Jared Sutton.

After pitching to just five batters, topping out at 94 mph on his fastball and throwing equally impressive breaking pitches, Sutton left Backman and a scout from the Philadelphia Phillies in attendance baffled.

?How that kid never got signed, I can?t figure that out,? Backman said. ?That?s exciting to get a guy like that.?

The UNC-Wilmington product had been offered to play last year in the Continental League in Texas, but turned it down because of poor pay and distance from his home of North Carolina.

Backman and the Peanuts didn?t make the same mistake. But if he continues throwing as he did Saturday, he may not be in Albany long, instead moving on to affiliated baseball.

Sutton knows that being able to play under a manager like Backman makes the Peanuts a perfect fit.

?I?m excited,? he said. ?I?m ready to learn and for him to show me and help me out whenever he can.?

http://albanyprobaseball.com.ismmedia.com/ISM3/thumbcache/722e168b13465973d8c87a21404169eb.300.jpg

http://southcoastleague.com.ismmedia.com/ISM2/NewsManager/267.jpeg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

First baseman Chris Errecart has been activated from the Brevard County D.L.

Unfortunately, to make room, 20-year-old LHP Steve Garrison, who walked four in a four-inning start on Saturday, has landed on the Manatee D.L. with an undisclosed (hopefully not arm) injury. We'll see if we can learn more, but that can be difficult given MiLB's new privacy rules.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Baseball America link, then text:

www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=57

Brewers Land Haydel

Posted May. 31, 2007 11:20 am by Jim Callis

Filed under: Draft Dope, Sleepers

Another high-profile draft-and-follow signed Wednesday. Delgado (La.) Community College outfielder Lee Haydel didn?t match the seven-figure bonuses righthanders Matt Latos (Padres) and Jordan Walden (Angels) got on deadline day, but he did receive $624,000 from the Brewers. Milwaukee drafted him in the 19th round out of a Louisiana high school last June.

Haydel initially had committed to Louisiana State, but when the Tigers forced out former head coach Smoke Laval, Haydel switched to Delgado CC. A possible supplemental first-round or second-round pick had he re-entered the draft, Haydel was one of the fastest players available. He can run the 60-yard dash in 6.35 seconds, and was a catalyst in Delgado?s run to the Junior College World Series this spring.

Haydel became more attractive as a prospect by improving significantly with the bat. He has grown two inches and added 20 pounds, and he?s now 6-foot-1 and 190 pounds. His added strength has helped him at the plate, and he has bat speed. He has improved against offspeed pitches and has hit quality fastballs. He?s an above-average center fielder with obvious range, and his solid arm strength is a plus at his position.

More on the DFE's in another post here shortly...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

As it turns out, the Brewers final draft-and-follow class ever (MLB has phased out the process through draft rule changes) saw five players from the 2006 draft class sign.

The draft-and-follow has netted the Brewers Manny Parra, Darren Ford, Lorenzo Cain, and several other top prospects in recent years.

colbyjack just posted a home page news update for you:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewNews.do?newsId=54

We'll have Brewerfan Player Index Pages created for the five new Brewers before the start of their seasons at Helena and Arizona Rookie.

Does Nashville only have 22 active players now? I suppose Stetter could come off the DL soon, but does someone get promoted from Huntsville to fill the 24th spot? And who? Drew Anderson with a quick comeback? Manny? A reliever?

I would hope for Manny, as I would rather not see R.A. Dickey as a starter again, and obviously it would be nice to finally get Manny to AAA.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link for Rob Bryson photo "kicking back in his Brewers garb" while active, text follows:

www.delawareonline.com/ap...10364/1002

Bryson signs Brewers contract

Pitcher beats deadline, heads to rookie league

By BUDDY HURLOCK, The Delaware News Journal

It came down to the 11th hour for Rob Bryson late Wednesday night.

On Thursday, Bryson signed a contract with the Milwaukee Brewers, but late Wednesday night, the former William Penn pitcher was struggling with his decision.

He could sign with Milwaukee, which selected him in the 31st round of last year's major league baseball draft, or not sign and become eligible for this year's draft on June 7. At worst, he would return to Seminole Community College near Orlando, Fla., and earn his associate's degree.

Bryson, a first-team All-State pitcher with William Penn High in 2006, had until midnight Wednesday to commit to signing with Milwaukee.

Bryson was flying home Wednesday night for a weekend stay with his family. While waiting for his flight, Bryson and his advisor were still negotiating with Milwaukee. Not long before Bryson boarded his plane, both sides came to an undisclosed agreement.

Then it came down to Bryson faxing Milwaukee his commitment to sign before midnight. Bryson said his flight landed in Philadelphia at 10:27 p.m. and he ended up sending his fax from a 24-hour office service store on Concord Pike at 11:42.

Thursday afternoon, the Brewers' central Florida scout, Charles Aliano, was at William Penn to make things official. Both of Bryson's parents attended, plus his maternal grandparents and his older brother.

"I've been waiting for this day for a long time," father Victor Bryson said. "There's been a lot of hard work and a lot of headaches, but Rob's made me really proud."

Part of the temptation for Bryson, 19, of Dobbinsville, to stay in college was that Bret Oberholtzer, who graduates from William Penn today, will pitch at Seminole next season. Bryson went 6-2 with a 2.30 ERA this season with 97 strikeouts in 78 1/3 innings to earn all-conference honors.

As part of his contract, the Brewers will pay for Bryson to complete his two-year degree.

"It was tough adjusting to it when I first went down there," Bryson said about college. "Once we started playing ball, I loved it. I really wanted to go back for another year and get my degree, but they're going to pay for school when I'm done playing."

Later this month, Bryson will join the Helena (Mont.) Brewers in the Pioneer League.

Archived