Brewer Fanatic

April / May Transactions -- Latest: DFE Rob Bryson Article

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

From Nashville's Media Notes:

NIX CONCLUDES REHAB, REMAINS WITH SOUNDS; Outfielder Laynce Nix has concluded his rehabilitation stint after batting .500 (6-for-12) with five RBIs in his first three games with Nashville; five of his six hits have gone for extra bases (two home runs, three doubles). In seven total rehab contests, Nix went 10-for-23 (.435) with three home runs and 11 RBIs between Nashville and Huntsville. The outfielder was activated from the Brewers? D.L. today and optioned to the Sounds.

To make room on the active roster, infielder Andy Abad was placed on the temporary inactive list (he is away from team following birth of son).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nashville Media Notes:

www.nashvillesounds.com/pdf/notes.pdf

ABAD RETURNS; BRAUN PLACED ON D.L.: First baseman Andy Abad rejoins the Sounds today after missing the last six games while on the temporary inactive list following the birth of his son, Andrew Alexander. To make room on the active roster, third baseman Ryan Braun was placed on the disabled list, retroactive to May 11. He has missed the last 10 games due to left wrist tendinitis.

Because the minor league D.L. is only seven days, basically Braun could be activated at any time with the retroactive assignment. So in a sense, he's still "day-to-day".

More big news from the incredibly insightful Nashville Media Notes (the reason we link to them each and every game day):

THATCHER JOINS BULLPEN; VILLARREAL RETURNED TO DOUBLE-A: Left-handed reliever Joe Thatcher has been promoted to the Sounds? roster from Double-A Huntsville for tonight?s game, replacing fellow southpaw Luis Villarreal who was returned to the Stars. Thatcher, 25, went 1-0 with a miniscule 0.55 ERA (1 ER / 16.1 IP) in 14 relief outings for Huntsville to open the season and struck out 20 batters while walking only two over that span. His lone run allowed came in his 2007 debut on April 6 vs. Mississippi; Thatcher has worked 14 1/3 consecutive scoreless frames since that contest. Villarreal, who joined Nashville on May 4 from Huntsville, logged a 1.93 ERA (1 ER / 4.2 IP) in six relief appearances for the Sounds.

Well, you can see it coming. A Brewerfan favorite is one step closer to Milwaukee, and Shousie will have his southpaw partner soon -- yee-hah!

Verified Member
Now we just need Parra to replace Dickey in Nashville and that entire pitching staff has the potential to help the Brewers. Amazing that the top pitching staff in the PCL could actually get better.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Amazing that the top pitching staff in the PCL could actually get better.

That's a cautionary statement, however -- keep in mind that the Sounds don't have to play regularly in the high octane PCL parks in the Mountain and Pacific Time Zones, so their team ERA in relation to the rest of the PCL is always low. Given the bullpen performances outside of Steve Bray, the above statement, while statistically correct, is pretty misleading.

"I'll hold my I told you so's until after he puts up some numbers, but I think Joe is "big league ready" from both a skills and maturity standpoint! "

That was from a March 16th post I made in a Thatcher discussion....I guess he's still doing what he did in WV, Hawaii, and hopefully will continue what he did in Huntsville in Nashville and .....who knows! I guess at this point I can dust off the "I told you so!"...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Brewers have promoted RHP Luis Pena to AA Huntsville from Brevard County.

Pena, formerly on the Brewer 40-man, is in his 8th season in the Brewer system. This is his first stint at AA.

His Power 50 history dates back to 2002:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPow...ayerId=155

Infielder Ryan Barba, who had a stint on the Brevard disabled list that we noted from 4/17 to 4/24, had a second stint we failed to pick up on, from 4/29 to 5/18. He's active for tonight's ball game.

If there are other corresponding moves, we'll learn about them shortly...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville Site:

Link, text follows --

www.huntsvillestars.com/n...ewsId=1164

Stars Add Former Major League Outfielder

The Milwaukee Brewers have promoted former major league outfielder Ruben Mateo to the Huntsville Stars from extended spring training in Arizona. He is expected to be in uniform Friday night for the opener of a five-game series with West Tenn. To make room on the roster, the Brewers have released outfielder Ulyses Davenport.

Mateo was signed as a free agent by Milwaukee on April 10 and was on the temporary inactive list while recovering from a hamstring injury. He made his major league debut with the Texas Rangers in 1999 and has compiled 21 home runs and 89 runs batted in 876 major league at-bats. The native of the Dominican Republic has also played for the Reds, Pirates and Royals during his six seasons at the big league level.

Davenport batted .197 with no home runs and six runs drive in over 61 at-bats with the Stars. He collected five doubles and a triple and scored five runs.

Mateo is hitting cleanup tonight (Friday) for the Stars.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
The Nashville site reports that to clear a roster spot for Ryan Braun (activated off the DL), outfielder Drew Anderson has been reassigned to Double-A Huntsville. Anderson opened the 2007 season by batting .197 (24-for-122) with five RBIs in 36 games for the Sounds.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville Site:

Link, text follows --

www.huntsvillestars.com/n...ewsId=1167

Stars Make Change to Bullpen

The Milwaukee Brewers have promoted right-hand pitcher Luis Pena from high class-A Brevard County to Huntsville and have released left-hand pitcher Luis Villarreal. Pena is expected to be in uniform Sunday afternoon for the Stars in the middle game of a five-game series against West Tenn.

Pena had appeared in 16 games in relief for the Manatees, posting a record of 5-0 with six saves in eight chances before his promotion. He allowed five earned runs over 21 2/3 innings of work for an earned run average of 2.08. The 24-year-old recorded 27 strikeouts and issued only seven walks. Pena was signed as a non-drafted free agent by Milwaukee on July 12, 1999.

Villarreal made six outings in relief for Nashville and allowed one earned run on five hits for a 1.93 ERA over 4 2/3 innings before being sent back to the Stars this past Friday. The former Red Sox draft choice appeared eight times in relief for Huntsville, posting a record of 1-1 with a 6.75 ERA. He earned the win for the Stars on Opening Day with 1 2/3 innings of scoreless relief and suffered his loss April 21 at Montgomery.

Villarreal, perhaps unlike other recent releases, was squeezed out in a numbers game more than by virtue of performance.

Outfielder Drew Anderson is still not officially on the Stars' roster, so that second necessary roster move has yet to be made.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Guys who spend three full seasons in the independent ranks (2004-2006) do not ask for their release from an affiliated club. His promotion to AAA earlier was a surprise to begin with, as he had never been at the AA level before.

Verified Member

From the Huntsville Stars Site:

The Milwaukee Brewers have sent outfielder Drew Anderson from triple-A Nashville to Huntsville and have released outfielder-first baseman Mike Carlin. Anderson is expected to be in uniform Monday night for the Stars for the fourth of a five-game series with West Tenn.

www.huntsvillestars.com/news/news.asp?newsId=1169

Ya know, the writing was on the wall for Mike Carlin, but i'm still really bummed about this...Mike was one of the guys I've been following very closely all season because he had some really strong moment for the Pirates...I even did a full interview with him back in February that never made it on the site...hopefully he gets picked up somewhere else, because he seemed like a great and determined guy. This sucks, but he had to know it was coming...

I'll try my best to post part of the interview in the next couple days, because i think he was a player that deserved to be hear, and never really got a chance in pro baseball..

Archived