Brewer Fanatic

Who will be added to 40-man to protect from rule 5? Palmisano?

djoctagone

Brewer Fanatic Staff

You never know if the Brewers may be so impressed with a guy like Adam Pettyjohn and/or Mark DiFelice and the seasons they've had, whether they'll be added either in September or after the season.

From the younger player's perspective, which is from where you're coming, I assume, we normally provide a complete list of Rule 5 eligibles, no matter how obscure, a week or two after the minor league seasons end.

I would think the seasons of Callix Crabbe, Steve Bray, and Adam Heether might get them 40-man deals, even though this isn't the first season they've been eligible to be added. Alcides Escobar will be. Do high-powered arms like Luis Pena or Marino Salas get added to keep them away from their impending free agency?

I'm sure I'm misisng somebody (or two or three somebody's), but outside of Escobar, I don't see any automatic choices.

I believe these guys are eligible:

Alcides Escobar (#11 on Power 50) - AA

Lou Palmisano (#14) - AA

Charlie Fermaint (#18) - A+

Robert Hinton (#21) - AA

Callix Crabbe (#25) - AAA

Tim Dillard (#28) - AAA

Adam Heether (#36) - AA

Steve Sollman (#38) - AA

Steve Bray (#45) - AAA

Steve Moss (#49) - AA

Marino Salas - AAA

Luis Pena - AA

Bo Hall - AA

Jeff Housman - AA

Sam Narron - AA

Vince Perkins - AA

David Johnson - AA

Carlos Corporan - AA

Josh Wahpepah - A+

I think Escobar, Palmisano and Crabbe will be added. Depending on which free agents we keep, there may be quite a few spots on the 40 man open, so a few more of these may also be added.

Call me crazy, but I'd think Hether would be an interesting rule V guy for other GMs. Solid AA numbers and avery good defense at third base. Looks like a buy you can snag and get a useful utility player.

• 1 month later...

I am sorry I mis-spoke with a pretty big error earlier. Alcides Escobar, (signed younger than 19), has been with the system four years. Still one more to go before the 40-man is a necessity.

Rather than teams being allowed three years (for players signed at age 19 or older) or four years (for players 18 and younger) before leaving them off the 40-man roster subjects them to the Rule 5 draft, those periods have been lengthened to four and five.

Eligible for 40-man roster addition (not including potential minor league free agents):

RHP Steve Bray
2B / OF Callix Crabbe
RHP Tim Dillard
LHP Jeff Housman
C Carlos Corporan
RHP Bo Hall
3B Adam Heether
RHP Dave Johnson
OF Steve Moss
LHP Sam Narron
RHP Luis Pena
INF Steve Sollmann
C Nestor Corredor
LHP Rafael Lluberes
OF Freddy Parejo
RHP Ben Stanczyk
OF Charlie Fermaint

The age at which a player is signed determines whether they can be in an organization for four or five years before they need to be added to the 40-man to avoid Rule 5 vulnerability. So if you were 18 or younger when signed (like Escobar), it's five years in the system.

I believe the 40 man roster has to be updated by all major league teams soon after the conclusion of the World Series. The Brewers current roster as published by Brewerfan.net is a document that may change quite dramatically. The Brewers current roster has only 38 players because the addition of Graffanino and Koskie is not official. Presumably, the 40 or less players on that roster are the players the Brewers value the most either as components of the 2008 team, as trade value, or as players who must be protected from the rule 5 draft. There are obvious players who won't be included in the new roster: Cordero, Miller, Graffanino, Koskie, Linebrink and I suspect Jenkins. There certainly are a lot of players who may or may not be included; Anderson, Aquino, Dillon, Jones, King, McClung, Mench, Nix, Rivera, Rottino, and Stetter. I wouldn't include Wise but I know others would. I would include Dillon on my final list. Still depending on how one evaluates the players there could be 15-17 players on the 40 man bubble. The wild card is which minor leaguers have to be protected who currently are not protected. Which of the following players have to be protected? Rogers, Wahpepah, Salome, Chapman, Palmisano, Fermaint, Hinton, others?

As an unrelated side anyone advocating a stronger pitching staff and better defense for the 2008 team should go to see the movie, The Final Season. I saw a preview this past Tuesday and its is a good but not great movie, primarily because the outcome is known. I was asked my opinion of the movie by a studio rep and told her they ought to send a copy to the Brewers as a training film.

What appears to be unusual this year is that in other seasons, Melvin cleaned out a few players right after the season ended. He hasn't done that this year.

And what was unusual last year was the fact that the Brewers didn't add any minor leaguers. That was due to a CBA change. There'll obviously need to be some additions this year.

Other routines will stay in place. Players will declare free agency, freeing a few spots after the World Series. And there could be some non-tenders, freeing a couple spots in December.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

With free agents and potential non-tenders more or less lumped together, I don't think the lead post intended to imply that Matt was a free agent. His contract has ended, though.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The Brewers are in fantastic 40-man roster shape, and if anything, should be watching the waiver wire closely because they'll be in fine position to make a claim or two. Just posted this on the Minor League Forum:

Rather than teams being allowed three years (for players signed at age 19 or older) or four years (for players 18 and younger) before leaving them off the 40-man roster subjects them to the Rule 5 draft, those periods have been lengthened to four and five.

Eligible for 40-man roster addition (not including potential minor league free agents):

RHP Steve Bray

2B / OF Callix Crabbe

RHP Tim Dillard

LHP Jeff Housman

C Carlos Corporan

RHP Bo Hall

3B Adam Heether

RHP Robert Hinton

RHP Dave Johnson

OF Steve Moss

LHP Sam Narron

C Lou Palmisano

RHP Luis Pena

INF Steve Sollmann

C Nestor Corredor

LHP Rafael Lluberes

OF Freddy Parejo

RHP Ben Stanczyk

OF Charlie Fermaint

RHP Josh Wahpepah

RHP Luis Pena and his near 100 MPH heat will most likely be added to the 40-man shortly. Other than that, there is no "must stash" candidate for the 40-man roster among those eligibles listed above, although Bray would be a potential loss in Rule 5. Most of the players listed in the initial post in this thread don't need to be considered this year.

I could not recall if Wise was a FA or not, but he is likely to be non-tendered, and possibly tried to resign cheaply.

Yep, not much there to get excited about losing. Some role player types, but those rarely are lost in the Rule 5. Bray also lacks that high ceiling that Rule 5 picks usually have, but a low payroll team (D'Rays, A's) might take a flyer.

Mass,

Why isn't Escobar, Palmisano and Hinton eligible for the draft? Escobar signed in 2003 at age 16 - so this is his fifth rule 5 draft. Capt Lou signed in 2003 at age 20 - so this is his fifth rule 5 draft. Hinton signed in 2004 at age 19 - so this is his fourth rule 5 draft. What am I missing?

From the Brewerfan FAQ (updated rules in italics):

How does the "Rule 5 Draft" work? A player is eligible for the offseason Rule 5 draft if he is not on the 40-man Major League Roster if he was 18 or younger when he first signed a pro contract and this is the fifth[/i] Rule 5 draft since he signed or if he was 19 or older when he first signed a pro contract and this is the fourth[/i] Rule 5 draft since he signed.

Mass,

Why isn't Escobar, Palmisano and Hinton eligible for the draft? Escobar signed in 2003 at age 16 - so this is his fifth rule 5 draft. Capt Lou signed in 2003 at age 20 - so this is his fifth rule 5 draft. Hinton signed in 2004 at age 19 - so this is his fourth rule 5 draft. What am I missing?

You're not missing a thing, Closet. You're just doing a better than job than me. Palmisano was a blatant oversight -- heck, he was eligible last year and the Brewers chose to expose him to Rule 5. Will they this year? I've added Lou and Hinton to the list above. I don't think Hinton will be added, he's just too far away to make the jump to the bigs via Rule 5.

As for Escobar, I'm going to stick to my corrected guns on that one (for now http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif). He didn't play in 2003, and although he signed as a 16-year-old that July, it was most likely a contract for 2004. Many of the young Latin players signed in the summer do that. Thanks again for all your efforts on this, you're on the payroll, bro.

This thread gives us headaches every year.

While I agree with you Mass that Hinton certainly isn't ready for the big leagues, teams are usually more than happy to take chances on live arms like Hinton's. I wouldn't be too confident about him sneaking through the Rule 5 without being picked up.

And given the Brewers bullpen woes, they may have a hard time not adding Hinton, Bray, Dillard and even Dave Johnson.

I could not recall if Wise was a FA or not, but he is likely to be non-tendered, and possibly tried to resign cheaply.

Yep, not much there to get excited about losing. Some role player types, but those rarely are lost in the Rule 5. Bray also lacks that high ceiling that Rule 5 picks usually have, but a low payroll team (D'Rays, A's) might take a flyer.

Wise made $1 million last year. Very little reason for him to expect a huge raise and very little reason to risk cutting him to save $500K.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived