Brewer Fanatic

Official MVP Baseball 2005 Discussion Thread

BrewCrewForever

This game was the best, for sure.

The exclusive rights deal that Take Two got for baseball, coupled with the one EA got for the NFL completely turned me off to videogames all together. I honestly can't remember the last time I played.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I religiously updated rosters for MVP 05 on PS2 and still absolutely love playing the game. I haven't updated rosters since early July, so I have a little catching up to do, but if anyone would like them, send me a message and a PS2 card and I'll give you the rosters. I can guarantee you they are very realistic and edited down to the last player on every roster, and many players at the AAA, AA, and A levels http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Man, I wish you had xbox and not PS2 I would so do that. If anyone has that same deal for Xbox, Im all ears.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

But, it's still a great game and I long for 2012 when EA can have a chance at reviving the MVP series.

Holy Crap. I didn't think it was that long before we could get another EA MLB game again. That is just crazy. I have to say I am through with 2K baseball games. They really suck. I don't know if I can wait that long for another good MLB game. I wish MLB had an out clause if the game maker continued to make sucky games. I guess our only hope is that EA buys 2K Sports in the next few years.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

i wouldn't say it was the only baseball game worth playing, I used to love triple play baseball for PS1, that was a great game.

Two of my other favorites going real old school with of course RBI Baseball for the NES. But I also loved World Series Baseball for Sega. Played that game all the time.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I'm with Too Live Brew...I loved MVP, played it like crazy, and was super pissed when I found out I'd have to switch to The Show. But after two years of The Show, I have to say, it is far superior to MVP. I went back and played MVP about a week or so ago and was shocked at how "arcade-ish" the players look on the game. Not to mention that the size of the baseball is HUGE and that pitching is super easy. The Show has MVP beat up and down when it comes to gameplay. Plus, if you have online capabilities with your PS2, there's an updated roster download every Monday. They not only update players, but attributes too, according to how a player has done during the season. (My downloaded Brewers roster has Braun, Linebrink, McClung, etc., and Prince with his power meter pretty much maxed out.)

I will admit that MVP did a lot of the "extra" things better than The Show. I think the way The Show does unlockables is pretty stupid. I thought MVP did a little bit better job with the jerseys, especially the retros (plus they had waaay more options). And roster moves seemed to be a little bit easier with MVP. But all in all, these are small things. Go get The Show and thank me (and TLB) later.

well, I can't get The Show or thank you (and TLB) as I don't have a console and won't be buying one anytime soon.

However, nobody answered a question I had in a different thread about The Show or 2K7 (or it might have been on another message board and I'm confused): Can you update your rosters (as Mike Felder describes above) in mid-season and keep playing with these new settings? Every other game I've ever done that with crashes the game because settings are different from the saved database and it won't allow you to continue. If you wanted to download a roster set with updated ratings and such, you had to start a new season/franchise in order for it to work.

Maybe I don't know anything about console video games anymore. If this is possible, that is one huge difference (and advantage) to consoles over PC games. Of course, I just tweak the PC game ratings for MVP Baseball if they aren't accurate during a season.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I'm with Too Live Brew...But after two years of The Show, I have to say, it is far superior to MVP. I went back and played MVP about a week or so ago and was shocked at how "arcade-ish" the players look on the game. Not to mention that the size of the baseball is HUGE and that pitching is super easy. The Show has MVP beat up and down when it comes to gameplay... Go get The Show and thank me (and TLB) later.

Edited to include things with which I agree, and things that praise me (hee hee hee! I'm a simple and egotistical man!) http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif

Don't really know what to say about online updates, as I have no experience with them -- largely because I think they cost money (BOO!), but if they don't, I'll totally sacrifice my in-progress, 61-30 season just so I can have a 'true' Ryan Braun, instead of my traded-for-and-much-loved Russell Branyan. Hooray Braun! And HOORAY The Show. Seriously, this makes MVP look 38.7 years old. It's that good. And I'd add that it most embarasses in terms of gameplay, not graphics. Especially the 2007 version. I've honestly never played a baseball video game that has been this 'real'/amazing. And I've wasted a lot of my life playing video games. http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

MVP 05 was always good to me. I finally got tired of updating the rosters and gave into The Show. Pitching was definitely easier in MVP, but that is some of the excitement of The Show for me that I can't cruise to no hitters, 1 and 2 hit shutouts with the likes of Wes Obermueller. One thing MVP will always have The Show never did is numerical ratings for people. I cannot tell you how much I hate the whole "bar" concept for rating people. "Oh well his bar is 3/4ths full." ugh. lol

pitchleague said:

However, nobody answered a question I had in a different thread about The Show or 2K7 (or it might have been on another message board and I'm confused): Can you update your rosters (as Mike Felder describes above) in mid-season and keep playing with these new settings? Every other game I've ever done that with crashes the game because settings are different from the saved database and it won't allow you to continue. If you wanted to download a roster set with updated ratings and such, you had to start a new season/franchise in order for it to work.

I believe you have to start a new season and can't update the rosters. That's half the reason I quit my season mode after one year (other than the fact people who hit 70 HR and batted over .400 declined in ratings), because I wanted to import the new rosters and have Ryan Braun but it wouldn't let me.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I'm a few years into a franchise and have held onto Jose Capellan for his ridiculous fastball. I recently played a series in Colorado and it got up to 104 mph. MVP 05 sure had some high hopes for that kid.

Ah yes, I remember that. Its crazy how good they thought he would be. What did his fastball top out at this past year for the Brewers? Like 92 or 93?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

i think the show is just as good as mvp 05. It is leaps and bounds better than 2k7 and 2k7 used mvp's developer. I am intrigued that mvp08 will be out on ps3. May be worth looking into, even though it won't be as good as any mlb game.

One thing MVP will always have The Show never did is numerical ratings for people. I cannot tell you how much I hate the whole "bar" concept for rating people. "Oh well his bar is 3/4ths full." ugh. lol

I will grant you that, I don't like that about The Show either. It made it a lot easier when deciding who to start vs. lefties or righties. Plus in MVP, you could pull up the opposing team's attributes in-game. That made it a lot easier to figure out bullpen moves. Although it's a little aggravating, I think both of these things are minor compared to the vast improvements in gameplay and realism that The Show has.

I'm with you there, BCi'04. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, if you can find a used console, and have the extra bucks to splurge, the gameplay and modernization of The Show is probably worth it. But I can definitely relate to not having said extra cash. http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/frown.gif

I always loved how Ben Hendrickson and Gary Glover would be 15 game winners with sub 2 ERA's in AAA. I would always steal Sean Burnett and John Van Benchoten from the Pirates, too.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

One element I really miss from MVP is the ability to go back (as a batter) & re-examine the hitter's prior at-bats. I know that's a minor detail, but I do really wish The Show would add that.

One element I really miss from MVP is the ability to go back (as a batter) & re-examine the hitter's prior at-bats. I know that's a minor detail, but I do really wish The Show would add that.

Ditto. Another thing that annoys me about The Show is it doesn't tell you whether you were late, early, etc. when you foul a ball off. Sometimes that's nice to know, and you could check that via the contact replay on MVP.

I think that hands down, MVP 05 was the best baseball game I have played. It's great in a lot of areas. The only major things that I have with it is that you can't hit anything outside the strike zone and it is too easy to trade prospects away.

"the only major things that I have with it is that you can't hit anything outside the strike zone"

that's wrong. I hit outside pitches all the time. granted, not the pitches WAY outside but you can reach the pitches just off the plate. But you also have to be aimed towards right field with the left analog stick for it to work. Anything on the inside I'll foul off if I get a piece, but every now and then I'll chop one up the middle or hit a little flare to left field.

It's also all in the datafile that you use. But, again, that's just a PC feature.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived