Brewer Fanatic

Official MVP Baseball 2005 Discussion Thread

BrewCrewForever

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I continue to play this on my PS2. It is by far the best baseball game I've ever played. I went out and bought 2K7 for Xbox 360, but it felt too stiff and not really all that fun. I traded it in 2 weeks after buying it.

I still play along with the real Brewers on my PC. mvpmods.com is an awesome site. Got updated rosters, stadiums, photos, etc. etc. etc. There is a "little" bit for XBox and Playstation but not as much as the PC. PC's rule for this game.

BTW, I am 9 games ahead of the real Brewers' pace this season. (i.e. I've won 9 more than in real life)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I used to have the game then I traded it in last year when I got 2k6, but that wasn't as good so I just bought it used for my xbox for $4 at gamestop on Saturday. I changed Fielder and Hardy to there correct names and called them up from AA. I created Braun, but if anyone has a Braun CAP it may be better then mine. I made a ton of trades to get Vargas, Estrada, Aquino, Mench, Suppan etc. One thing that sucks is that guys like Hart, Hall, Weeks, Fielder and Hardy are on the game. But they are not very good.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

One thing that sucks is that guys like Hart, Hall, Weeks, Fielder and Hardy are on the game. But they are not very good.

I know. I ran through a full season with those guys in the lineup even though their ratings sucked, but the next season Rickie and Prince's ratings jumped a lot due to getting regular playing time.

One thing that sucks is that guys like Hart, Hall, Weeks, Fielder and Hardy are on the game. But they are not very good.

I know. I ran through a full season with those guys in the lineup even though their ratings sucked, but the next season Rickie and Prince's ratings jumped a lot due to getting regular playing time.

Well that is good to know. I did find on wikipedia that if you create any player and give them the name "Katie Roy" and it unlocks all of the rewards and it does work. Also changed the fake name of Damian Miller and Barry Bonds to the real ones and corrected there skin color and such.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

One thing that bugs me about the game is the complete inability to hit doubles; you could hit a frozen rope right down one of the foul lines and the outfielder is gonna pick it up before it gets to the wall every time, and I can barely hit anything remotely near either of the power alleys. In addition, I haven't been able to tweak the settings so that it's remotely realistic yet; can't find any happy medium between a slugfest and a game consisting entirely of weak infield dribblers, and by way of pitching it'd probably be easier for me to throw a perfect game than have a pitcher get more than 5 strikeouts in a game. And it's pretty much impossible to stay out of debt in owner mode.

But, it's still a great game and I long for 2012 when EA can have a chance at reviving the MVP series.

If the 2005 Brewers featured bore you, try a fantasy draft...it's interesting to see where everyone turns up.

Agreed about extra base hits...Anybody slower than Bill Hall has to hit one into the power alleys to have a chance of getting better than a single, and hitting into the alleys is very tough.

By far my favorite baseball game, but I got tired of updating the rosters and caved and bought MLB 2k7 for 360. MVP is still better, but 2k7 is growing on me. I'm still tweaking the settings so it's not a blowout either way, but it's not bad.

I'll still play MVP on occasion though, can't beat the soundtrack for a baseball game either, eh?

It is widely acclaimed to be the best modern baseball game to date.

I'll admit to being the poop in the punchbowl here, but I think there's literally no way you could convince me that it's even in the same league as The Show. I'm on my second year with the franchise, and they managed to iron out nearly every gripe I had with the game. The gameplay is freakin' phenomenal, and the graphics are good, too. I just wish I could afford the $600 for a PS3, so I could play it at its top form (at least graphically - haven't heard of its gameplay on PS3 yet)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It is widely acclaimed to be the best modern baseball game to date.

I'll admit to being the poop in the punchbowl here, but I think there's literally no way you could convince me that it's even in the same league as The Show. I'm on my second year with the franchise, and they managed to iron out nearly every gripe I had with the game. The gameplay is freakin' phenomenal, and the graphics are good, too. I just wish I could afford the $600 for a PS3, so I could play it at its top form (at least graphically - haven't heard of its gameplay on PS3 yet)

Haven't played it. Heard it was decent. Maybe I'll have a look. I still play MVP 2005 on my PC. Updating rosters is a snap. I don't play many console games to be honest. I prefer my PC for gaming things.

I played a ton of the MVP franchise, and it was at the time the best thing - and imho, the first thing - to ever really happen in terms of baseball video games. But I'm preaching to you here, boys & girls, The Show is flat-out better. Plus, since 360 & PS3 have been launched, you can get a used PS2 for relatively cheap (roughly $75-90). Trust me, if you have the $120 bucks (if you don't have a PS2 - the game is around $40), go get it. The 2007 version of The Show is just plain great to play!
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

As far as hitting doubles, I don't seem to have much problem, even going down the line. Slower runners obviously are tougher. I think the hitting part of the game is really tough to get down. Pitching seems a bit easy too, but I rarely have games that get out of hand and the scores are usually low, though I do put up big innings also.

As for making money in owner mode, there are ways. I had to dump ALL of my high salary guys, replace them with prospects and play my home games in Miller Park (not my created one) to boost ticket sales. No one with a salary over 1 mil per year stays.

I religiously updated rosters for MVP 05 on PS2 and still absolutely love playing the game. I haven't updated rosters since early July, so I have a little catching up to do, but if anyone would like them, send me a message and a PS2 card and I'll give you the rosters. I can guarantee you they are very realistic and edited down to the last player on every roster, and many players at the AAA, AA, and A levels http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Archived