Brewer Fanatic

Vargas for Laird

Texas is going to trade Gerald Laird since they have Saltalamachia. I am sure they would like pitching in return. Vargas is good enough to go right into the Texas rotation. In return we get Laird who is having a bad offensive season but was much better in 2006 and he is great defensively. Laird would be a huge upgrade over Estrada defensively and that is something that the team really needs.

Texas is going to trade Gerald Laird since they have Saltalamachia. I am sure they would like pitching in return. Vargas is good enough to go right into the Texas rotation. In return we get Laird who is having a bad offensive season but was much better in 2006 and he is great defensively. Laird would be a huge upgrade over Estrada defensively and that is something that the team really needs.

Vargas would get mauled in Texas as it is a top hitters park. I love what he has done this year but I dont think he could get away with it in the AL. Much better lineups and they will rake on him all day. This is not enougth value to go get a young catcher of Lairds talent.

Laird's price tag won't be as high as it would be if the Rangers didn't have Salty. Teams know the Rangers will be trying to unload him, so the Rangers' leverage will go down the drain. Laird straight up for Vargas would be completely lopsided. Vargas and his high WHIP in Arlington = disaster. I hope the Brewers and Rangers resume talks this offseason regarding Otsuka, and maybe talk about Laird as well. He'd be a great addition. It will cost the Brewers at least Gwynn, Villanueva, and another solid prospect to get those players.

Salty's value goes way down as a first baseman compared to a catcher therefore I think Laird will be traded. I think Gwynn and Vargas for Otsuka and Laird would be a deal that would interest both teams. Lets remember that Laird is having a very poor season offensively. As far as Estrada being around next season all I can say is I hope not.

The Rangers are always desperate for pitching of any kind and Vargas W/L record could fool a team like Texas. Laird is a catcher hitting in the .220s and with Salty around they have no use for him. Im not saying that Texas would definitely go for this but they might.

Has Vargas really been that bad this year? He has a 4.72 ERA this year, and a career 4.88 or so. Not stellar, but probably good enough to be a fifth starter on a team like Texas, I'd think.

Vargas has been lucky, with his WHIP being that high and working out of jams like he has. Besides, would you want to pay that much for a 5th starter when you've got a cheaper, younger 5th starter whose away numbers are close to Vargas's career ERA average?... and giving up one of your better trade chips to boot?

Almost every SP with a career ERA of 5 or less make $3M or more a year. Those guys have value, which many fail to see. Replacement level SP's often average about 5.75 ERA's...one run per 9 is a big deal.

I wasn't implying that he had NO value.... just that they could just go and sign one off the rack instead of giving something of value up... Or just use the one they already got.

If Vargas is dealt, I'd expect him to be the second piece of the puzzle, just as he was in the deal that brought him to Milwaukee. I do think there are teams that would want him, I just don't know that many of them would build a deal around adding him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Salty has played more than twice as many games for the Rangers at 1B than he has at C. I would think that if the Rangers were interested in keeping him there long-term, they would be trying him more at catcher.

Is Laird really available?

Good post. It sure looks like they're trying to keep both. And I don't see why they wouldn't.

The exact true is opposite. He's an All Star catcher waiting to happen. He used to be a below average receiver, but he's gotten a lot better. He's the best catching prospect in baseball by a country mile, and the Rangers would be stupid to play him anywhere else. I think they're sticking mostly with Laird at catcher maybe to showcase him off for teams this offseason.

The exact true is opposite. He's an All Star catcher waiting to happen. He used to be a below average receiver, but he's gotten a lot better. He's the best catching prospect in baseball by a country mile, and the Rangers would be stupid to play him anywhere else. I think they're sticking mostly with Laird at catcher maybe to showcase him off for teams this offseason.

I think this sums up what the Rangers are doing. They need to get Salty at bats so why no throw him at 1B since they have no one.

Archived