Brewer Fanatic

IGT 8/19 Reds (Harang) at Brewers (Birthday Boy Capuano, 29)

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Hoping to continue affiliate mascot winning ways on Sunday:

Nashville Sounds GM Glenn Yeager:

When you came here, how was attendance?

It was bad. For the first 20 years … (the Sounds) had a pretty easy run here in this market. When the Titans and the Predators did come, this product was positioned as the professional sports franchise. People were like, "No, no, no, no. We got the Titans and the Predators. If you're going to ask me if I'm going to a major league professional sports event or a minor league professional sports event, I'm going to choose the major league." There was no mascot. There were no in-between inning promotions. There was nothing fun for the kids. Have you ever wondered why we have a cougar as a mascot?

I have.

The mascot from Kane County is the Kane County Cougars. When we took control of the (Nashville) team in April 1997, they had no mascot. We had two (mascot) uniforms in King County. We said, "Send one down." After that year, the kids had already identified with this cougar as our mascot, so we could never change him. If we'd tried bringing some guitar player into town as our mascot, it never would have worked.

And thus there's Ozzie (thanks to the Sounds' site for the copy-and-paste):

http://www.nashvillesounds.com/images/photo_ozzie1.jpg Ozzie has been entertaining and educating fans of all ages in and out of Greer Stadium. Whether it's dancing with a lucky fan on top of the dugout or encouraging youngsters to reach for the stars, Ozzie is always a fan favorite. He makes an immediate impact on his audience by promoting crowd enthusiasm and participation.

Height: Tall

Weight: Varies

Bats: Dizzy Bat Races

Throws: Softee Balls & T-Shirts

Born: 4/11/98

Resides: Nashville, TN

Email Ozzie!

Ozzie Interview

http://www.nashvillesounds.com/images/icon_divider.gif

Ozzie took some time out of his busy schedule to sit down with us for an interview so we could ask him some questions about his fun and exciting life.

First off Ozzie, thank you so much for taking the time to meet with us. We know how busy you are and how you are always on the go and we appreciate this rare opportunity to actually speak with you.

OZZIE: You are very welcome.

We would like to ask you some questions to get to know a little bit more about you to see just how this cat ticks. So first off, where do you live?

OZZIE: I live at beautiful Greer Stadium in my own little secret cave. It's pretty roomy with all the modern cat amenities. I've got a new state-of-the-art scratching post and everything. I just don't get to spend much time there because I'm always so busy.

http://www.nashvillesounds.com/images/photo_ozzie2.jpg You are a pretty busy cat. Not only are you at every single Sounds home game during the season entertaining the fans but you are also doing a lot of things when the season is over aren't you.

OZZIE: I sure am. I spend most of my time traveling all over the place visiting schools, libraries, hospitals and a ton of other places promoting the Sounds and our exciting Reading Club. I love to entertain kids and adults but I also like to get kids reading and learning more about the world around them. I love reading and I know that all the friends I meet will love reading too.

Do you have a favorite book?

OZZIE: That's a really hard question. There are so many books that I like that it's hard to pick just one as my favorite. I think that every book I read becomes my favorite after I finish it. They are all so fun and full of all kinds of cool things.

Well let's stick with favorites. What is your favorite food?

OZZIE: Well I eat a lot of food I can tell you that but my favorite food is ballpark hot dogs. I eat them everyday along with popcorn, peanuts, and Cracker Jack.

Who is your favorite baseball player?

OZZIE: I've known a lot of players over the years and I'm such a huge baseball fan. My two favorite players are Ozzie Smith and Ozzie Guillen.

What kind of music is your favorite?

OZZIE: I like all kinds of music especially organ music at the ballpark that gets the crowd into the game. I also love to dance so any kind of dance music is good for me. My favorite song is "Take Me Out to the Ballgame". I love the seventh-inning stretch.

http://www.nashvillesounds.com/images/photo_ozzie3.jpg So who are your friends here in Nashville?

OZZIE: Oh, I've got friends all over the place. I make new friends everyday as I visit with all the kids at different schools and at baseball games. I meet so many interesting and fun people and can't wait to make more and more friends. I also have a bunch of friends that I work with like T-Rac from the Titans, Gnash from the Predators and people who visit the stadium during the season like the Zooperstars, ICEE Bear, the Pirate Parrot, The Famous Chicken, and Myron Noodleman.

Well Ozzie we'd like to thank you again for spending some time with us we know you have to get going. We really appreciate it.

OZZIE: You're welcome. And thank you for visiting with me. Go Sounds!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sigh. I love mascots. Ozzie looks like one take-charge kind of cat. Not quite as take-charge as Bango, but no mascot is.

Mass Haas beat me to the JJ birthday punch. Hey, Brewers, how's about you make something good happen Sunday?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Get it done, Chris. I still believe in you. Don't fall under the SGA curse!

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/3421/cappys1mf0.jpg

/lame attempt at Capuano mojo, http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Pretty sure you have to be in first place to have a magic number so it's actually like 41 with 39 to play.

Blingster--I was going to do the same thing with some candles but you beat me to it. I can't believe someone beat me to that idea.

Come on, Capppy! Don't lose your job on your birthday.

BEAT THE REDS!

Chris Capuano, you must pitch like you did in 2005, first half of 2006 and first 5 starts of 2007 on your the celebration of your 29th birthday so you can keep your rotation spot and get us a series win over the Reds. I know you can do it Cappy, and here is to your offense getting some runs against a tough Aaron Harang!

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Capuano should have good success against the REDS. A Lefthanded starter should be able to control this game.

Neutralize Griffey, Hamilton, Dunn, Conine should get the start over Hatteberg, Thats the meat of the lineup right there.

I dont care if Harang is pitching or not, I think the Crew is the definate favorite in this one.

I'm more worried about how the boys hit Harang today than how Cappy pitches. It seems soft tossers like him just eat our lineup for lunch.

Don't want to throw around the "must win" tag, but today's game might be as close as the Brewers have been to one this season. A win today, followed by a decent road trip (even 4-5 might be OK) and I think the Crew will be OK down the stretch. Win today, and have a winning roadie, and the Crew will be in really good shape (barring injury, or some freakish trip where they win 5 of 6 out West, then get swept by the Cubs to kill off all their momentum)

On the other hand, a loss today, followed by a 3-6 roadie (or, God forbid, worse) and I think the postseason is likely nothing but a dream.

I feel like we need the return of the "Curse the Cubs" and "Reds" threads right now.

And we should all vow to pee our pants if Capuano gets another win this season. I'd probably make the pledge.

Happy Birthday Cap, here's to breaking the streak tonight.

Archived