Brewer Fanatic

Staying Positive?: Buster Olney says...

recte44
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Brewers could play in the World Series if: Jeff Suppan reverts to the form he showed last October; if Ben Sheets rejoins the rotation in early September and is dominant by the end of the regular season; if the back end of the Milwaukee bullpen can bounce back in the last six weeks.

If our team starts to play better we have a shot... glad he gets paid the big bucks, I could have told you that! Believe it or not this team isn't going to score 3 runs a game and give up 7 runs a game the rest of the season. Its just a cold streak and it happens to almost every team in baseball every single season. Of course with only 40ish games left to play and the division as tight as it is we better get ourselves out of this cold streak fast. Considering we go on a tough road trip after this series it better end today.

Sure, if our pitching is the complete opposite of what it is now, we'll be in fine shape.

Yeah it's so easy Buster Olney. Our pitching has been horriable and would have to do a complete 360 for us to get back on track. Although even when the pitching is good, our defense and our ability to only hit solo HR's doesn't help much.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Jeff Suppan reverts to the form he showed last October

I thought Suppan pitched well enough last night -- I think that while we really blame our WHOAS on our rotation -- Last night's game should have magnified that not many pitchers are going to put up sub 4.00 ERAs playing in front of that defense.

Sure, if our pitching is the complete opposite of what it is now, we'll be in fine shape.

Yeah it's so easy Buster Olney. Our pitching has been horriable and would have to do a complete 360 for us to get back on track. Although even when the pitching is good, our defense and our ability to only hit solo HR's doesn't help much.

A 360 would get us back to where we are now. http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/frown.gif

If our team starts to play better we have a shot... glad he gets paid the big bucks, I could have told you that! Believe it or not this team isn't going to score 3 runs a game and give up 7 runs a game the rest of the season. Its just a cold streak and it happens to almost every team in baseball every single season. Of course with only 40ish games left to play and the division as tight as it is we better get ourselves out of this cold streak fast. Considering we go on a tough road trip after this series it better end today.

As much as I try to stay positive (and I'm still very optimistic about the next few years), what defines a cold streak? How long do these streaks go before it is just a cold season?

If Yost ever through out the same lineup everynight for a week straight we might have a chance. I don't see any other contenders changing their lineup daily. Play the same lineup for a change and let this team maybe develop some chemistry.

As much as I try to stay positive (and I'm still very optimistic about the next few years), what defines a cold streak? How long do these streaks go before it is just a cold season?

May 9th - The end of the hot streak put us at 24-10 and the top of the world.

June 12th - Verlander's no hitter finish off a 10-20 stretch, rock bottom #1.

July 2nd - 10-3 victory @Pit to open the series finishes off a 14-4 stretch.

July 24th - Win @CIN finishes off a 8-10 stretch where we played good and bad games but managed to sit around .500.

August 16th - swept by the cardinals at home, first time we are swept at home all season. 6-16 in the past 22 games, rock bottom #2 hopefully

The cold streak has lasted all off 22 games which isn't all that abnormal. Like I said, it needs to stop basically today or its probably going to be too late.

As for the lineup changes, most managers change their lineup constantly unless they have pretty clear cut best players for each position.

The indians have used 63 different lineups and the most common was used only 14 times. The Brewers 66 lineups most common used 9 times. Mets have used 61 lineups with the most being 16 games and 2nd most 7 games. Cardinals have used 90 lineups, most common 6 times. Arizona 73 lineups, most common 9 times. Red Sox 47 lineups, most common 24. Angels 88 lineups, most common 5 games.

A lot of 1st place teams have used more lineups than us and many teams haven't used the same lineup even 10 times in the season. Its just how baseball is, nothing wrong with Yost.

I don't know...I don't think the pitching has been all that bad lately. It's so easy to try and lay the blame on one guy each game, and the pitcher is usually the victim...however...the offense has been absolutely anemic for quite a while now. They aren't converting runners, and when they do hit a homer, there's no one on base. It's hard for any pitching staff to win consistently if their team can only score a couple runs each game.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Buster Olney is a genius.

I'm bummed because it seems when we get a 'decent' start out of our pitchers, our offense puts up three hits. When we score 5 or 6 runs, our pitching finds a way to give up more. It's just disappointing. I really hope they turn it around soon.

Archived